Turn Off Ads?
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast

Thread: Jay Bruce: "Sometimes it's hard to tell whether you're at home or on the road."

Re: Jay Bruce: "Sometimes it's hard to tell whether you're at home or on the road."

So fans can boo and there's nothing wrong with it. But if players call it out, they're whiners.

I'd hope people see the irony in that defense...
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Jay Bruce: "Sometimes it's hard to tell whether you're at home or on the road."

Quote Originally Posted by wolfboy View Post
    Which is great except for the fact that the people getting bent out of shape are largely the ones that don't boo.
    How are you so sure of this?
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

The St. Louis comment is stupid. Tyler Greene was booed by the Cardinals fans just this year.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    I'm sure he is, but he's a human and boos should be reserved for effort plays

Not failure to execute

Booing is bush, defending booing is akin to defending bullying its an empty sentiment
    Well put.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool View Post
    Between this and what's going on with KC Chiefs fans right now, I'm wondering when athletes developed such thin skins.

I can see getting upset when someone heckles you, especially if they make it too personal. But really, does getting booed hurt your feelings so bad that you have to cry about it?
    I think they were hoping for the kind of unabashed support that they see the other teams getting.

I do not boo at my team. I will criticize effort and lack of execution. You as a fan pay good money to attend the game, especially playoff games, you should be able to boo if your team plays that poorly. I find almost ridiculous that Bruce is complaining about the fans. He is treated like a perennial MVP candidate by Cincinnati fans when he is a career .255 hitter and has never driven in 100 runs in a season.

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

Marty and Thom open their broadcast mentioning all the empty seats at the game today. Not sure if it's a late arriving crowd (parking will be terrible today, with the game occurring during a business day when lots are already full), or if not sold out.
    sorry we're boring

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus View Post
    So fans can boo and there's nothing wrong with it. But if players call it out, they're whiners.

I'd hope people see the irony in that defense...
    I don't think there is anything ironic about it. The players are entertainers. If the fans aren't being entertained, why shouldn't they express it?

Players have to know that they're not going to satisfy every fan, and that some fans are going to boo them. They're being paid a lot of money to do what they do. Part of that paycheck involves them being able to deal with the pressure the fans put on them.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

I don't think there is anything ironic about it. The players are entertainers. If the fans aren't being entertained, why shouldn't they express it?

Players have to know that they're not going to satisfy every fan, and that some fans are going to boo them. They're being paid a lot of money to do what they do. Part of that paycheck involves them being able to deal with the pressure the fans put on them.
    Well stated.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Always Red View Post
    Marty and Thom open their broadcast mentioning all the empty seats at the game today. Not sure if it's a late arriving crowd (parking will be terrible today, with the game occurring during a business day when lots are already full), or if not sold out.
    It is sold out, but whether all of the tickets are used is another story. Stubhub had outfield, lower level seats, starting at $10 as of 2am last night. Those tickets have a face value of, I believe, $50.

Isn't that the polite way of saying fans whine when they don't get their way or aren't entertained? That's why I find it ironic that Bruce is "whining."

Traffic wasn't bad when I left work ~ 11:30am - but the lot I use for parking, the big one between PBS and GABP was 3/4th full at noon.
    2023 Reds record attending: 13-18 FINAL
    2023 Dragons record attending: 0-0 FINAL
    2023 Y'Alls record attending: 0-0 FINAL
    "We want to be the band to dance to when the bomb drops." - Simon Le Bon of Duran Duran

6 months of heartbreak Bob Borkowski's Avatar

Later on, Marty described it as a late-arriving crowd...no empty seats in sight.

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus View Post
    Isn't that the polite way of saying fans whine when they don't get their way or aren't entertained? That's why I find it ironic that Bruce is "whining."
    The fans are the consumers. If they are unhappy with the product, they have the right to complain.

The players are ultimately there to serve the fans. So yes, if they speak out and complaing about something trivial like being booed, they they are whining.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Yep. Cincinnati sports fans don't know what they are talking about at all.

Turn Off Ads?