Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Justin Upton to the Angels

Justin Upton to the Angels

Supposedly it's being finalized. The Angels don't mess around.

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/r...om-the-tigers/
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

2. Likes:

REDREAD (08-31-2017)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Justin Upton to the Angels

Upton turned 30 just last week, nice bounceback year he's having. Have to imagine it's not nice enough to use the opt-out he has after this season, the $22 million annual he'll getting through 2021 seems about as good as he can do given the abundance of HR hitters in the game today.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

somewhere Benihana is having a meltdown for the Reds not jumping on this

6. Likes:

Benihana (08-31-2017),bucksfan2 (08-31-2017),Old school 1983 (08-31-2017),REDREAD (08-31-2017),Tom Servo (08-31-2017)

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    Upton turned 30 just last week, nice bounceback year he's having. Have to imagine it's not nice enough to use the opt-out he has after this season, the $22 million annual he'll getting through 2021 seems about as good as he can do given the abundance of HR hitters in the game today.
    I don't know - it's a weak FA class, he's still young-ish, and is going to be coming off of a 40 double, 30 HR season. While I don't know if he'll top the $22.5 per year, though he may, I think he can probably get an extra year or two beyond his remaining deal if he opts out. And that's got plenty of value. Assuming he doesn't fall off of the map in September, or get seriously injured, he should opt out.

He's totally going to opt out
    What would you say.....ya do here?

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    He's totally going to opt out
    Offhand I'm just not seeing who will give him better than the 4/88 he still has on his deal. Cubs could use him but they kind of shot their wad with that Heyward contract. I guess maybe some teams willing to shop in the high priced aisle even if they aren't NY or LA like Baltimore, Toronto, or Seattle might kick the tires.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    The Angels don't mess around.
    See, Walt? It IS allowed to trade for an outfielder when it looks like you're challenging for a playoff spot.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

11. Likes:

757690 (08-31-2017),Benihana (08-31-2017),M2 (08-31-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    Offhand I'm just not seeing who will give him better than the 4/88 he still has on his deal. Cubs could use him but they kind of shot their wad with that Heyward contract. I guess maybe some teams willing to shop in the high priced aisle even if they aren't NY or LA like Baltimore, Toronto, or Seattle might kick the tires.
    I don't know about which team, but I follow the Tigers somewhat and it's been pretty widely accepted since early July he is going to opt out. I don't think he has 4 years left, I think he has 3.
    What would you say.....ya do here?

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    I don't know about which team, but I follow the Tigers somewhat and it's been pretty widely accepted since early July he is going to opt out. I don't think he has 4 years left, I think he has 3.
    It's four (6 year/$132 million signed before 2016 season) but I'll certainly defer to Tigers fans on the opt-out point. The Angels are certainly a more desirable situation all around than staying with Detroit would have been though.

Looks like the Angels lost Maybin on a waiver claim by the Astros, so Upton essentially replaces (and upgrades) that position.

Jake Kaplan
    @jakemkaplan

Astros won a claim of Maybin on revocable waivers. They will pay the rest of his $9 million salary for this year. No other players involved.
    12:03pm · 31 Aug 2017
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

Quote Originally Posted by WrongVerb View Post
    Looks like the Angels lost Maybin on a waiver claim by the Astros, so Upton essentially replaces (and upgrades) that position.
    Wonder if Houston was just trying to block but with the Upton trade got stuck holding the bag.

16. Likes:

Chip R (08-31-2017)

You forget he traded for Jim Edmonds

Quote Originally Posted by WrongVerb View Post
    See, Walt? It IS allowed to trade for an outfielder when it looks like you're challenging for a playoff spot.

18. Likes:

WrongVerb (08-31-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by UKFlounder View Post
    A winning move if there ever was one. Right up there with getting Ludwick back from a shoulder injury, which is just like trading for a top notch outfielder coming off his dead cat bounce year.

Quote Originally Posted by UKFlounder View Post
    Twice I do believe.
    Quote Originally Posted by Will M View Post
    sdwagers for Reds GM!

21. Likes:

marcshoe (08-31-2017)

Jon Heyman‏
    @JonHeyman

sources: angels, who already made 1 big deal, are in talks with braves on brandon phillips

Turn Off Ads?