Turn Off Ads?
Page 10 of 32 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast

Thread: Golfers of RedsZone (aka War Stories from the Rough)

Re: Golfers of RedsZone (aka War Stories from the Rough)

I played in the ProAm for this week's Nationwide event in Jacksonville. I played witha guy named David Mathis who is now leading by 2 strokes after the second round. He was 5 under his last 7 holes today. He's currently 35th on the money list, so winnign this event pretty much assures him his PGA Tour card for next year.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

2. Turn Off Ads?

OK Redszone golfers, I just started golfing for the first time this summer. I have now played something like 12 rounds total for the summer and am fully addicted. I plan to start dedicating myself to becoming a better golfer so I need some advice on what steps to take?

Currently I putt decently well and from what others have told me I hit my wedges well. My biggest issues are my incredible slice when I hit a driver or wood off the tee and my lack of consistency hitting irons.

Should I take some lessons at the start of next year?
    If so, where around Columbus can anyone recommend for lessons?

Quote Originally Posted by Buckeye33 View Post
    OK Redszone golfers, I just started golfing for the first time this summer. I have now played something like 12 rounds total for the summer and am fully addicted. I plan to start dedicating myself to becoming a better golfer so I need some advice on what steps to take?
    Make an appointment with Redhook next time you're down in Cincy. You won't regret it.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Currently I putt decently well and from what others have told me I hit my wedges well. My biggest issues are my incredible slice when I hit a driver or wood off the tee and my lack of consistency hitting irons.

Work from the hole backwards; you lose more strokes from 150 yards in than you do with your big slice. If you practice, practice putting, chipping and pitching and eventually you will start to understand how those short swings translate into success with the longer swings.

If you are struggling with your driver, ditch it in favor of a three wood, a hybrid, or anything you can hit to a point on the fairway you are aiming for. After all, if it takes two seven irons to go 300 yards, you are still better off than hitting your driver out of bounds into the woods, which also leaves you on your third shot, but still back at the tee rather than down in the fairway. It's a tough lesson to learn even for experienced players, that golf is a game best played with shots you can make, and not the shots you hope you can make.

Take lessons. You'll get more out of a 1/2 hour with a pro than you ever will trying to figure things out on your own. And don't just take one lesson; it takes time for a pro to analyze your problems and figure out a plan to help you develop good habits to build your game upon. You'll be in a much better place down the road if you spend a little up front money to create a good set of golf fundamentals.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    Make an appointment with Redhook next time you're down in Cincy. You won't regret it.
    Thanks!
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

Good advice thus far. Definitely take some lessons. While I'd love to help you out with your game, I'm guessing you wouldn't prefer to drive 100 miles to see me. However, if you're down for a Reds game, it could happen.

If you'd like to start relatively soon and want a pro nearby Columbus, I'd recommend Jeff Olson out of Kinsale CC. Nice guy and a great player. He's very easy to get along with and I'm sure he'd help you out immensely.

In the meantime, visit my blog down below, and read some of the articles in the Slicer's Corner to learn why the slice happens and some tips on how to stop it. Good luck and feel free to ask plenty of questions.
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

Quote Originally Posted by Redhook View Post
    Good advice thus far. Definitely take some lessons. While I'd love to help you out with your game, I'm guessing you wouldn't prefer to drive 100 miles to see me. However, if you're down for a Reds game, it could happen.
    Depending on the redzone hookup price it might be worth the 100 mile drive?

I checked out your blog but I don't think I know enough about my own swing to try to fix anything myself. Impressive blog though, well put together and a ton of good info.

If you'd like to start relatively soon and want a pro nearby Columbus, I'd recommend Jeff Olson out of Kinsale CC. Nice guy and a great player. He's very easy to get along with and I'm sure he'd help you out immensely.

In the meantime, visit my blog down below, and read some of the articles in the Slicer's Corner to learn why the slice happens and some tips on how to stop it. Good luck and feel free to ask plenty of questions.
    Wow what a small world. Jeff was my old neighbor in Dublin and gave me a few lessons back in high school. He's an awesome coach and an awesome guy.

I played in the ProAm for this week's Nationwide event in Jacksonville. I played witha guy named David Mathis who is now leading by 2 strokes after the second round. He was 5 under his last 7 holes today. He's currently 35th on the money list, so winnign this event pretty much assures him his PGA Tour card for next year.
    He won a few minutes ago. Amazing! You're like a little good luck charm. Maybe he'll ask you to be his agent next year on the PGA Tour? Or, his weekly Wednesday Pro-Am partner?

He won a few minutes ago. Amazing! You're like a little good luck charm. Maybe he'll ask you to be his agent next year on the PGA Tour? Or, his weekly Wednesday Pro-Am partner?

Ooooh, I like your second idea. I'd take the job in a second.

It was very cool. I was able to talk to him very briefly after the awards ceremony. He couldn't wipe the smile off his face. The great thing is his first child is due in two weeks. I can't imagine his wife's stress watching him take a double bogey on #16 (a par 5) to go from a 3 shot lead to a 1 shot lead. Sje may just have the baby tonight.

Kyle, next time you qualify for an event, come invite me to play in the ProAm. You won't regret it.

Ooooh, I like your second idea. I'd take the job in a second.

It was very cool. I was able to talk to him very briefly after the awards ceremony. He couldn't wipe the smile off his face. The great thing is his first child is due in two weeks. I can't imagine his wife's stress watching him take a double bogey on #16 (a par 5) to go from a 3 shot lead to a 1 shot lead. Sje may just have the baby tonight.
    The pressure he must've felt is really hard to imagine. His entire career was on the line, so-to-speak. If he doesn't win and doesn't get his Tour card he might never make it out there. Because he won, he will be on Tour next and will make a boatload of money. This win today was worth a bare minimum of 500k, hopefully much, much more too. I'm happy for him. I love seeing guys changing the rest of their lives over one tournament. Pretty cool.

Kyle, next time you qualify for an event, come invite me to play in the ProAm. You won't regret it.
    What are you doing next mid-July? I'm pretty sure I'll be in the Nationwide tournament again here at the TPC at River's Bend. I was the Player-of-the-Year in our Southern Ohio PGA Section which gives an exemption to the tournament next year as a reward (at least they did this year and I've heard they'll do it again). So, MWM, plan on making that trip for the pro-am. I could use a little Nationwide victory!

Does anybody have an opinion about using muscleback irons as a beginner golfer? I' just started playing this summer and I'm not particularly good at the moment but I was still thinking about buying an affordable set of used mb-irons to practice with. I've run this by a couple of people and they seemed to think this would be a waste of time until I get a little more consistent.

However i was thinking that since the mb irons are less forgiving they can potentially help me improve my game quicker by exposing my swing flaws. I don't really follow the logic of using a more forgiving club if your really trying to improve. I fear that the cb irons will mask my weaknesses which might be hard to correct once i develop consistent muscle memory habits. Any thoughts or advice on this would be appreciated

Quote Originally Posted by Orenda View Post
    Does anybody have an opinion about using muscleback irons as a beginner golfer? I' just started playing this summer and I'm not particularly good at the moment but I was still thinking about buying an affordable set of used mb-irons to practice with. I've run this by a couple of people and they seemed to think this would be a waste of time until I get a little more consistent.

However i was thinking that since the mb irons are less forgiving they can potentially help me improve my game quicker by exposing my swing flaws. I don't really follow the logic of using a more forgiving club if your really trying to improve. I fear that the cb irons will mask my weaknesses which might be hard to correct once i develop consistent muscle memory habits. Any thoughts or advice on this would be appreciated
    I personally play Cleveland blades, CG Tour, and I love 'em. That being said, I wouldn't recommend mb's for a beginner, especially if you don't already own them. If you owned a set of mb's already, I could see you practicing and learning with them. But, since you have the option to buy anything, I'd recommend buying a more forgiving set.

I would say about 3% of all golfers, at the most, would benefit or know how to use the benefits of a blade. The 8-PW's will be about the same as most other irons, but the longer irons are much more difficult to hit. They may expose your flaws, but being a beginner, you won't have a clue how to fix the flaws. It's not worth the frustration and you certainly won't improve your game by buying mb's. The more forgiving clubs are definitely easier to hit, but trust me, they're still very capable of hitting plenty of god-awful shots.

I'd recommend hitting some of your friends clubs, finding a brand or two that you like, then go to a range and demo some. After narrowing it down to a set or two, go to eBay and buy a used set for a good deal. Then, while the clubs are being shipped, schedule a lesson with your local PGA Pro to learn how to swing properly. After a few lessons, you'll have a much better understanding how to hit good shots, but more importantly, how to fix your bad ones.

Yeah, what Redhook said. I've read of people taking the same philosophy of wanting blades from the beginning thinking they'd be forced into swinging correctly.

The problem is that when you're making improvements while you're learning the game, you won't know it using blades, so you won't think you're swinging better when in fact you are. This will make you scratch what you're doing and wind up moving backwards instead of forward. You're never going to go from beginner to hitting shots consistently on the sweet spot all at once. It's a process of improvement that you really need feedback on to know how much improvement you're making.

And also to echo Redhook, the technology these days is so good that forgiving clubs can give you most of what blades can. The only players who significantly benefit from playing blades are those looking to work the ball the way they want to. If you get to a point where that becomes important, you're not going to flinch at the idea fo then buying blades.

I personally play Cleveland blades, CG Tour, and I love 'em. That being said, I wouldn't recommend mb's for a beginner, especially if you don't already own them. If you owned a set of mb's already, I could see you practicing and learning with them. But, since you have the option to buy anything, I'd recommend buying a more forgiving set.

I would say about 3% of all golfers, at the most, would benefit or know how to use the benefits of a blade. The 8-PW's will be about the same as most other irons, but the longer irons are much more difficult to hit. They may expose your flaws, but being a beginner, you won't have a clue how to fix the flaws. It's not worth the frustration and you certainly won't improve your game by buying mb's. The more forgiving clubs are definitely easier to hit, but trust me, they're still very capable of hitting plenty of god-awful shots.

I'd recommend hitting some of your friends clubs, finding a brand or two that you like, then go to a range and demo some. After narrowing it down to a set or two, go to eBay and buy a used set for a good deal. Then, while the clubs are being shipped, schedule a lesson with your local PGA Pro to learn how to swing properly. After a few lessons, you'll have a much better understanding how to hit good shots, but more importantly, how to fix your bad ones.
    thanks for the advice. I've been debating whether or not to get a few lessons or go the book/dvd route.

Turn Off Ads?