Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Maybin article

Maybin article

Found this on Lance's blog. To be honest, I'm not sure if it really belongs here in the minor league forum, but this was the place for much of the Maybin v Bruce debates, so here we go....

http://detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/art...709060418/1129

Interesting that the Tigers admit that he's not ready for the show, but want to get a look see into what he has to work on.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Maybin article

Bruce would have much better numbers than Maybin does in the Majors right now.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Cameron Maybin and Jay Bruce are in two completely different places as prospects right now, and they were when Maybin was called up.

Maybin was/is a top prospect because of his tools.

Bruce is a top prospect because of his tools and his performance.

There is a large difference between the two.

Code:
    Maybin: Born: 4/4/87

2005 (drafted)
    DNP

Midw	A	380	.303/.385/.458

GCL	Rk	7	.571/.667/.571
    FSL	A+	296	.304/.393/.486
    East	AA	20	.400/.538/1.050

Bruce: Born 4/3/87

2005 (drafted)
    Pio	Rk	70	.257/.358/.457
    GCL	Rk	122	.270/.331/.500

Midw	A	444	.291/.355/.516

FSL	A+	268	.325/.379/.586
    Sou	AA	66	.333/.405/.652
    IL	AAA	187	.305/.358/.567
    Both guys are awesome prospects. Maybin and Bruce are 1 day apart in age.

In 2005, Bruce was getting at bats in rookie ball, Maybin wasn't.
    In 2006, both guys were killing A ball. Maybin with a bit better OBP, Bruce with more power.
    In 2007, Maybin did very well in high A and then got a cup of coffee in AA before heading to Detroit. Bruce destroyed high A (100 OPS better than Maybin), obliterated AA in a small sample, and then continued to rake in AAA.

Honestly, I think you'd see something similar from Bruce if he got called up this year and played sparingly in a pitcher's park. However, it's clear that's he's a little further ahead developmentally and is more of a power guy than is Maybin. Power is more likely to transfer up levels instantly than is plate discipline, so long as you can keep making contact.
    Last edited by RedsManRick; 09-06-2007 at 06:15 PM.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

High five!

Maybin obviously has more upside because he's younger.

Maybin isnt near the hitter Jay Bruce is. Cameron Maybin is a ground ball hitter who uses his speed to get on base. 24% of his hits were infield singles, and he only had 2 bunts this year. He has a line drive rate half that of Jay Bruce.... at lower levels too. Maybin struggles in the majors are because he strikes out a lot, and can't make solid contact.

I've heard Maybin has trouble with off speed stuff.
    DD you seen that on a scouting report.

I haven't seen a recent scouting report on Maybin, but it wouldn't surprise me.

I don't know how he will play in that deep group of outfielders for the Tigers. I like Granderson. If he was on the block it would fetch alot. The Reds don't want him though.
    If you can't build a winning team with that core a fire-sale isn't the solution. Selling the franchise, moving them to Nashville and converting GABP into a used car lot is.
    -LTlabner

I love bruce but maybin is very talented. I saw him play a few weeks ago at AA and he crushed one, maybe the hardest hit ball I have ever seen. The only thing that slowed it down was the convention center next to the ballpark and it was still going up when it hit that. I think bruce is more talented but maybins not exactly a slap hitter.

Quote Originally Posted by dunner13 View Post
    I love bruce but maybin is very talented. I saw him play a few weeks ago at AA and he crushed one, maybe the hardest hit ball I have ever seen. The only thing that slowed it down was the convention center next to the ballpark and it was still going up when it hit that. I think bruce is more talented but maybins not exactly a slap hitter.
    Maybin is a slap hitter 80% of the time. He had 2 seperate 1 week stretches where he hit 4 HR in a week. That is a 2 week stretch, nearly 4 months apart, where he hit 8 HR. He had 14 HR on the entire season. Maybin has all the tools in the world, but he needs to refine his swing still at this point.

Turn Off Ads?