Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Thursday 6/18/09 minor league updates

Re: Thursday 6/18/09 minor league updates

Top 3:

Henry walks for the second time today. Heisey singles. Alonso singles to score Henry. 3-1 Carolina.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Alonso is warming up after a bit of a slow start in AA.

Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar

This line-up is so fun to follow. I am glad they are producing; these are the kind of guys we need to package up for a starting shortstop. I have been reading these threads for forever and perpetually waiting for the wave of the future. I have learned that you have to go out there and make the future now. I really hope Walt finds a good short stop to target and we cash in some of these minor league chips.

Frazier grounded into a DP to score Heisey and Francisco grounded out. 4-1 Carolina after 2 1/2 innings.

Resident PED Expert

Quote Originally Posted by Edd Roush View Post
    This line-up is so fun to follow. I am glad they are producing; these are the kind of guys we need to package up for a starting shortstop. I have been reading these threads for forever and perpetually waiting for the wave of the future. I have learned that you have to go out there and make the future now. I really hope Walt finds a good short stop to target and we cash in some of these minor league chips.
    While I agree we finally have so many talented ball players in our system for the first time in well 20 - 25 years if not longer, I still don't understand why everyone is in a rush to trade them. It constantly amazes me that people talk about going out a getting a good young shortstop when we might have one of the best in the minors in our system in Cozart. Who hit another HR today. I guess the grass is greener when the prospect comes from other system...

I mean are we as Reds fans so cynical that we don't have ANY trust in our system to turn out top players? Even after Bruce, Votto, Hanigan, Cueto?

I say sit on what we got, give Valakia a try next year and give Cozart another year to develop... He made the jump from Dayton to Carolina and is doing quite well at the dish.... OPSing around .850
    Last edited by nemesis; 06-18-2009 at 01:05 PM.

Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by nemesis View Post
    While I agree we finally agree we have so many talented ball players in our system for the first time in well 20 - 25 years if not longer, I still don't understand why everyone is in a rush to trade them.
    I just realize that even good hitting AA players still have a pretty high flame-out rate. And when I said a good young shortstop I should have clarified that more. I do not want another prospect similar to Cozart in that he is still likely 1-2 years away, I want a guy like Emmanuel Burriss or Elvis Andrus who will be starters for the next 5-6 years. I know Elvis Andrus is untouchable right now, but I would sure give a lot to both get Gonzalez out of the line-up and add a staple to the line-up for many years to come.

I don't want to wait on Cozart because I am starting to believe 2 1/2 months into this season that if Votto comes back to play the way he did before his mysterious injuries, EdE hits like he did last year and Volkie comes back healthy that we are a legit shortstop away from being a borderline playoff team. I just don't want to wait any more. Let's cash these chips in and compete in our Phillips, Harang, Arroyo window.

Stewart is struggling some today.

3 IP, 6 H, 1 ER, 1 BB, 1 K, 5 GO/2 FO

All six hits have been singles.

Resident PED Expert

Quote Originally Posted by Edd Roush View Post
    Let's cash these chips in and compete in our Phillips, Harang, Arroyo window.

Now that I completely agree with. I just don't see to many teams giving up that SS of the future for nothing less than a goldmine. Andrus is the cream of the crop obviously... Who might be had for a Harang/Arroyo + prospects to Texas type deal. At least he would be my cornerstone return plus Max Rameriez if Harang was involved. My question is we go out and say get Andrus but Gonzalez is still on the roster, is there ANY way a Players manager like Dusty sits him in favor of a rookie?

Cozart homers again! 5-2 Carolina.

He's 2-for-2 with two homers (#7, 8) and 3 RBI.

And he plays defense too. Could he put up a .571 OPS in Cincinnati right now?

Hmmm... Stewart came out..... Don't like that.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BRM View Post
    And he plays defense too. Could he put up a .571 OPS in Cincinnati right now?
    Maybe, but it doesn't matter. I am pretty sure Paul Janish could put up a .571 OPS right now too, but he isn't getting a chance either and placing him in the lineup is a lot easier for the Reds to do.

Still, Cozart is turning into a really good prospect. He isn't a top 100 prospect or anything, but he is likely a Top 200 guy when you consider his defense and his bat. If his plate discipline keeps going like April/June (18 walks, 20 K's) and less like May (10 walks, 24 K's), he has a good shot to see significant time in Cincinnati next year at some point.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    Hmmm... Stewart came out..... Don't like that.
    I wouldn't read much into it. The Reds are trying to limit his pitches and innings, I think there are set games where he gets 60 or so pitches and is done for the game to limit him throughout the season. I was listening to the game and the announcers didn't seem concerned at all that Stewart didn't come back out for the 4th, so I wouldn't worry.

Elvis Andrus is being hailed for making an immense difference on the Rangers. And I don't dispute that. But he's not doing it with offense. His offense, this year, has been a tad better than Gonzalez's, but don't forget that Gonzalez is coming off a major injury that cost him a season. Defensively, it seems to me that Gonzalez has been nearly impeccable. I mean, truly outstanding. Don't you think he's a major reason why the Reds' pitching is so profoundly better this year? I realize that it's been frustrating to see him struggle at the plate. And I don't like the idea of him hitting in the 2-hole, even though he's swinging the bat a lot better lately. But I don't understand the urgency of getting him out of the lineup. I think he's a significant reason that the Reds are over .500 and hanging in.

Stewart's final line: 3 IP, 6 H, 2 R, 1 BB, 1 K, 5 GO/2 FO

For some reason, the second run was changed back to earned. I like the decision to pull him after three because his pitch count was starting to pile up.

Turn Off Ads?