Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I hate to be the pessimist, but...

I hate to be the pessimist, but...

If history has anything to do with itself, we have to stop being so optimistic and think about what could possibly happen. I know there is a new manager in town and we all should give him a chance before throwing him to the lions. What better time than now than to set myself up for a nice plate of crow?

I mean, after all the constant neglect to utilize talent where it would most benefit the team, we should have learned a lesson by now. There is no way you can tell me that Boone, Miley, and Narron all had some flaw in their brain that made them inept to put a constructive lineup together. They all seemed to have an agreeable madness, and at what cost? Well, it cost them their job for starters. But even more than that, it costs Cincinnati fans their chance at seeing "championship baseball" (-Bob Castellini).

It starts right now folks. We have to start putting our guard up now and prepare ourselves for another journey through trialed times. If we don't prepare ourselves, we will find ourselves disappointed.

Here are a few things to expect:

* Opening Day lineup will whittle its way through the internet while many fans find themselves outraged at the ludicrous idea of starting Hatteberg over Votto.

* At some point during spring training, Dusty Baker will have the notion to try Griffey out in CF.

* Affeldt will be in the starting rotation. So will Volquez, Harang, Arroyo, and Belisle.

* Bailey will get his long after the All-Star break. He will put up similar numbers to Belisle's last year.

* Cueto won't even get a September callup.

* Votto will be traded due to lack of finding a spot for him to play. I see him going to the Braves.

* Hamilton will start in CF for the AL All-Star team, while Volquez will be a decent number 4.

* Sergio Valenzuela...who?

* Jared Burton will have all our hopes up, only to pull a Ryan Wagner on us.

* Coffey will come back very strong. Majewski and Bray will show us they are worthy as well.

* Injuries; Griffey, Arroyo, Freel, Gonzo, Votto, Belisle, Ross.

* Our lone All-Star will be Aaron Harang

* Jay Bruce will win the ROY.

* By season's end, we will really hate Dusty Baker and once again be calling for a new manager.

* Krivsky will be fired and Jocketty will slide right in.

* Jocketty will make a deadline deal and it will involve Dunn's departure for pitching.

* They will draft a SP in the first round.

* Dollar hot dogs? Oh yes, they are coming again.

That’s about all I can stand for now. But with all that, we have to look at the bright side. Every single team in baseball will have its hard times as well. I am simply predicting them before they happen.

Anyhow, if all this were to happen, could we still contend?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: I hate to be the pessimist, but...

Braves have a 1st baseman

Yes, they sure do. And a darn good one at that.

Quote Originally Posted by Bip Roberts View Post
    Braves have a 1st baseman
    and he's got one year left on his contract and is unlikely to resign with them...

Anyways, for a pessimist some of those predicitions were optimistic!

A few were optimistic for sure. But as a whole, it does sound rather negative, doesn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    and he's got one year left on his contract and is unlikely to resign with them...

Anyways, for a pessimist some of those predicitions were optimistic!
    Braves have been saying the whole time they plan on resigning him.

The Braves are also not afraid to let people walk. With Jones gone and Chipper possibly counting down the years though I wonder if their looking for a new face of the franchise for the long term. They also gave up their top prospects for Tex, their gonna have to make ever attempt to resign him or it would be a total waste.

Quote Originally Posted by David Cubbedge View Post
    If history has anything to do with itself, we have to stop being so optimistic and think about what could possibly happen. I know there is a new manager in town and we all should give him a chance before throwing him to the lions. What better time than now than to set myself up for a nice plate of crow?

I mean, after all the constant neglect to utilize talent where it would most benefit the team, we should have learned a lesson by now. There is no way you can tell me that Boone, Miley, and Narron all had some flaw in their brain that made them inept to put a constructive lineup together. They all seemed to have an agreeable madness, and at what cost? Well, it cost them their job for starters. But even more than that, it costs Cincinnati fans their chance at seeing "championship baseball" (-Bob Castellini).

It starts right now folks. We have to start putting our guard up now and prepare ourselves for another journey through trialed times. If we don't prepare ourselves, we will find ourselves disappointed.

Here are a few things to expect:

* Opening Day lineup will whittle its way through the internet while many fans find themselves outraged at the ludicrous idea of starting Hatteberg over Votto.

* At some point during spring training, Dusty Baker will have the notion to try Griffey out in CF.

* Affeldt will be in the starting rotation. So will Volquez, Harang, Arroyo, and Belisle.

* Bailey will get his long after the All-Star break. He will put up similar numbers to Belisle's last year.

* Cueto won't even get a September callup.

* Votto will be traded due to lack of finding a spot for him to play. I see him going to the Braves.

* Hamilton will start in CF for the AL All-Star team, while Volquez will be a decent number 4.

* Sergio Valenzuela...who?

* Jared Burton will have all our hopes up, only to pull a Ryan Wagner on us.

* Coffey will come back very strong. Majewski and Bray will show us they are worthy as well.

* Injuries; Griffey, Arroyo, Freel, Gonzo, Votto, Belisle, Ross.

* Our lone All-Star will be Aaron Harang

* Jay Bruce will win the ROY.

* By season's end, we will really hate Dusty Baker and once again be calling for a new manager.

* Krivsky will be fired and Jocketty will slide right in.

* Jocketty will make a deadline deal and it will involve Dunn's departure for pitching.

* They will draft a SP in the first round.

That’s about all I can stand for now. But with all that, we have to look at the bright side. Every single team in baseball will have its hard times as well. I am simply predicting them before they happen.

Anyhow, if all this were to happen, could we still contend?
    Thanks for the uplift, chicken little!

Chicken little? I haven't claimed our need to taste the clouds quite yet, but at the same time I see these scenarios as very realistic possibilities.

Quote Originally Posted by David Cubbedge View Post
    Chicken little? I haven't claimed our need to taste the clouds quite yet, but at the same time I see these scenarios as very realistic possibilities.
    I can fully understand your pessimism after 7 losing seasons, but this is a new year and hopefully things will be different. Nevertheless, it is always best to be prepared for the worst, as it always seems to happen to the Reds. I fully expect the best the Reds will do this year is to reach .500, but I could be pleasantly surprised.

I already really hate Dusty Baker!

I'm not complaining about that!

I already really hate Dusty Baker!
    Let Dusty Baker manage one spring training game for the Reds before you decide to hate him.

Quote Originally Posted by AmarilloRed View Post
    Let Dusty Baker manage one spring training game for the Reds before you decide to hate him.
    he dug his grave when he started talking about doing something to bases... what was it he said... I can't seem to remember what it was that he talked about... bunts? hit and runs? gee I just can't seem to put my finger on it! :

he dug his grave when he started talking about doing something to bases... what was it he said... I can't seem to remember what it was that he talked about... bunts? hit and runs? gee I just can't seem to put my finger on it! :
    You must be used to watching the Tigers drop bombs up there

Quote Originally Posted by Stephenk29 View Post
    You must be used to watching the Tigers drop bombs up there
    They have a potent offense, but it is certainly not driven by the home run, especially in Comerica. It helps when you have Polanco and Mags each hitting like .350 and Granderson's 20/20/20/20. Can we please have a winning season this year so these bandwagon fans will shut up!?

Turn Off Ads?