Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Moving to Atlanta in July

Re: Moving to Atlanta in July

Fried chicken at SouthCity Kitchen.

Thus endeth my knowledge of the ATL.

Oh yeah... And don't call it the ATL.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

2. Likes:

RedEye (06-05-2013)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by 15fan View Post
    Been here since 1995, we live within a few miles of Emory, and our daughter is over there regularly for sports camps, swim meets, etc.

If that's where you're working, then long-term, you want to live Emory/Decatur/Druid Hills/Lake Claire/Candler Park/Inman Park/Morningside.

Let me know if you have kids, or if K-12 schools are going to be on the horizon. We have a 9 year old, so we're pretty familiar with the various school options. I can also speak to a variety of the kiddo sports & activities in the area.

I'll go ahead and throw out some of the restaurants and watering holes that you should put on your To Do list: Antico Pizza, Fox Brothers BBQ, The Brickstore, Community BBQ, Rathbun's, Kevin Rathbun Steak, Restaurant Eugene, Canoe, The Optimist, & JCT Kitchen.

Other institutions that you should check out include the Vortex, the Varsity (eat, have massive digestive distress, and never do it again, but say you've been), Fatt Matt's Rib Shack, & Fellini's Pizza.

If you're here for the 4th of July, the Peachtree Road Race 10K is quite a spectacle. 60,000 runners (world's largest 10k), and the entire course is lined with spectators. Even if you're not a runner, you should plan on doing it. Join the Atlanta Track Club for preferential entry (the lottery always happens in mid-March and it fills up literally within 24-48 hours), and try to get yourself a qualifying time so that you can get out in one of the earlier groups.

The Beltline is a work in progress, but it's going to be a decent step towards addressing the dearth of biking/running/walking spaces in the city. Piedmont Park is great. Plenty of people in this part of town also head out to Stone Mountain for biking, running, etc.

Also, understand that most of the people who live here are not originally from here. College football is hands down king in this part of the world. I grew up in Ohio, so I'm biased towards the Big 10/11/whatever, but having been to a couple of SEC games, I can say that SEC football is an unparalleled experience.

When you're ready to get away, the north GA mountains are 2-ish hours away, Asheville NC is a little further. Reynolds Plantation & Lake Oconee is a good option if you need a quick boating / golfing fix. Skip Lake Lanier. It's a freaking zoo.

Most importantly, know that the Reds make their only trip of the year here July 11-14. In the summer, you want to sit along the 3rd base side, as that's the side of the stadium that falls into the shade as the sun sinks. First base / RF gets the brunt of the late afternoon sun, and that's not at all pleasant. Afternoon games can be particularly brutal.

Good luck with the move, and let me know if you need any other recommendations.
    Great info. I meant to PM you actually, but you beat me to the punch. Thanks!

We have a four year-old son, so schools have been an emphasis for us, but it has been difficult to get a rental in our target district -- City of Decatur -- which we hear is the best overall. Since we couldn't get that, we ended up renting a place for next year in Druid Hills, about three blocks from Emory where we are both working. Since my son won't be in kindergarten until the following year, we're not too worried just yet, but just in case we want to stay put for the next year, he'll be at Fernbank Elementary, which we've heard is not the best, but decent enough.

Looking forward to the move. It seems like a great city.
    Last edited by RedEye; 06-05-2013 at 11:12 PM.
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

I second fat Matt's for ribs.

I lived in Atlanta for over 20 years.

Only problem is Canada stole our hockey team, again.

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Only problem is Canada stole our hockey team, again.
    Canada did us a favor by ending the nightmare that was the Thrashers ownership group.

And I can't believe I forgot South City Kitchen. That place has been rock solid for a loooooooooong time.

7. Likes:

RedEye (06-05-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by 15fan View Post
    Brutus -

I'm sure that when you typed "Underground Atlanta", you actually meant "The Georgia Aquarium", right? Having worked near Underground for almost 2 decades, I can tell you that there is 0 reason to go there. 0.

And parking for a Braves game near Centennial Park? I'll give you parking on the west side of 75/85, but Centennial Park is a massive hike from Turner Field. From this part of town, I've never had any issues going down DeKalb/Memorial to Capitol/Piedmont/Hank Aaron. Pre-game grub and a brew at 6 Feet Under is a solid start to an evening.

There are a couple of lots on Hank Aaron that are along the first base line that are great for getting in/out. Near where the Fanplex boondoggle went in. You have to get to them by either coming up from the south side on the interstate, or by working your way through the neighborhoods that are due east of the stadium. But I'd park a bunch of other places for a Braves game before I'd think about Centennial Park.
    Disagree about Underground Atlanta. I am not a big shopper, but I actually love some of the little shops down there. They're different, unique and are a cultural experience. It's a bit of a diversion from the GAP culture we have today. It's kind of the same reason I liked going over to Little Five Points. I suppose it's all about whether someone enjoys those types of places or not as to whether there's reason to go there.

The park is about two miles from Turner field. But the parking on the south side of the park is only about a mile's walk. I acknowledge that's still a bit of a hike and not everyone wants to walk a mile to get to a baseball game, but it's worth it for some people to avoid sitting in a parked car for 20 minutes at 10 PM lol. Most of the time, I either parked up there, by the BMV or in the northernmost Silver Lot section over off Fulton. The point, though, as you mentioned, typically parking west of 75 provides better access getting out after the game. For that matter, I'd recommend parking anywhere north of I-20 if you don't want to fight traffic.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus View Post
    Disagree about Underground Atlanta. I am not a big shopper, but I actually love some of the little shops down there. They're different, unique and are a cultural experience. It's a bit of a diversion from the GAP culture we have today. It's kind of the same reason I liked going over to Little Five Points. I suppose it's all about whether someone enjoys those types of places or not as to whether there's reason to go there.

The park is about two miles from Turner field. But the parking on the south side of the park is only about a mile's walk. I acknowledge that's still a bit of a hike and not everyone wants to walk a mile to get to a baseball game, but it's worth it for some people to avoid sitting in a parked car for 20 minutes at 10 PM lol. Most of the time, I either parked up there, by the BMV or in the northernmost Silver Lot section over off Fulton. The point, though, as you mentioned, typically parking west of 75 provides better access getting out after the game. For that matter, I'd recommend parking anywhere north of I-20 if you don't want to fight traffic.
    Great tips -- thanks! Especially love the differing perspectives on the neighborhoods. From what I can tell, Atlanta has a lot to discover, and a lot of different types of places for all tastes.
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

It's not a dry heat.

11. Likes:

medford (06-11-2013),SporkLover (07-15-2013)

Missed the Reds this time around, unfortunately... but I'm now officially an Atlanta-ian (or something like that). Curious whether any of you many Atlanta Reds fans ever get together to watch games.

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    Missed the Reds this time around, unfortunately... but I'm now officially an Atlanta-ian (or something like that). Curious whether any of you many Atlanta Reds fans ever get together to watch games.
    Guess not. :-(

Just not with you

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Just not with you
    Ouch... looking for a smiley face, Raisor. :-0
    Last edited by RedEye; 07-19-2013 at 11:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    Ouch... looking for a smiley face, Raisor. :-0
    The truth hurts

Okay, forget the whole watching Reds games thing.

We've recently discovered Your DeKalb Farmers Market. Seems like a great place. Anyone have thoughts on it? Other places to get good food for cheap?

Turn Off Ads?