Turn Off Ads?
Page 11 of 31 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast

Thread: 2011 Ohio State Football - What is next?

Re: 2011 Ohio State Football - What is next?

I hope not. I hate the idea of .500 teams going to bowls. They aren't a bowl caliber team this year.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    I hope not. I hate the idea of .500 teams going to bowls. They aren't a bowl caliber team this year.
    Oh I agree. I was watching the Tennessee-Kentucky game also, and they were talking how the Vols need to win to reach that #6 plateau and be bowl eligible. Any team that goes 1-6 in their own conference shouldn't be bowl eligible. And the way most schedules are set up any more, very cupcake, it doesn't take much to reach that 6 win goal.

It's all about the money. And regardless of OSU's down year, they would still bring a lot of money to that local economy.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

The Gator Bowl has already publicly said they want Ohio State vs. Florida even if both teams are 6-6 (since Urban Meyer will be the head coach).
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Miller badly missed some throws today, but I was very encouraged overall with how he played. A couple of the deep throws he missed were well thrown balls that were just off. He is going to be a star. I am a little disappointed as well that he's not as advanced as a passer as I had anticipated, but today he certainly showed that he has what it takes. In the offseason he needs to work on some of his intermediate throws and his accuracy, but he's going to be a star next year with Urban Meyer. Hopefully some of the receivers step up next year as well.

Who wants a mustache ride Ohayou's Avatar

Money + Exposure > Bowl games actually meaning something in the way of competition

Quote Originally Posted by Ohayou View Post
    Money + Exposure > Bowl games actually meaning something in the way of competition
    Not to mention an extra month's practice with a young team and a freshman QB.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498 View Post
    Not to mention an extra month's practice with a young team and a freshman QB.
    This is why OSU should play a bowl game. I do not care if Meyer doesn't coach the bowl game, the young guys need to play and practice as much as possible.

They have a ton of young guys who played this year and it can only help if they get an extra 2-3 weeks of practice.

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus the Pimp View Post
    The Gator Bowl has already publicly said they want Ohio State vs. Florida even if both teams are 6-6 (since Urban Meyer will be the head coach).
    Interesting. I know someone on the board there and live in Jax. I doubt I'd even have much interest going to that game.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

.500 teams should never get a bowl game.

It's like giving every kid a trophy so they don't feel left out.

And yes, the Gator Bowl wants the Urban Meyer bowl. We'll see.

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Buckeye33 View Post
    This is why OSU should play a bowl game. I do not care if Meyer doesn't coach the bowl game, the young guys need to play and practice as much as possible.

They have a ton of young guys who played this year and it can only help if they get an extra 2-3 weeks of practice.
    If it's not Meyer's coaching staff, what good will it really do them? Practice in a system that won't exist come fall?

Attack Cat!

Quote Originally Posted by Matt700wlw View Post
    If it's not Meyer's coaching staff, what good will it really do them? Practice in a system that won't exist come fall?
    The defense is just as young as the offense, and when you are dealing with a true freshman quarterback, every snap helps. No question you go to the bowl if you can.

Quote Originally Posted by OUReds View Post
    The defense is just as young as the offense, and when you are dealing with a true freshman quarterback, every snap helps. No question you go to the bowl if you can.
    The only reason you'd say no is if you were trying to mitigate NCAA penalties that are coming by self imposing penalties ala Miami.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Attack Cat!

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    The only reason you'd say no is if you were trying to mitigate NCAA penalties that are coming by self imposing penalties ala Miami.
    Agreed, the administration clearly doesn't think that's the case though.

Quote Originally Posted by OUReds View Post
    Agreed, the administration clearly doesn't think that's the case though.
    I'm not sure this administration has shown very good judgement about much of anything though.

Attack Cat!

I'm not sure this administration has shown very good judgement about much of anything though.
    That goes without saying

Turn Off Ads?