Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: If you could live anywhere in the continental US, where would you live?

Re: If you could live anywhere in the continental US, where would you live?

Quote Originally Posted by gm View Post
    Most "Californians" don't have long ties to the state (for obvious reasons) and a good percentage move north and put down roots (while causing the native Oregonian's property taxes to go through the roof...)

You'll have to forgive me, I grew up during the Tom McCall era "come to Oregon for a visit, but don't stick around...we want to keep our state green and under-populated"
    20 years is pretty long, longer than my stay in Ohio.

As for the old Oregon slogan... we know it worked for big business's, but not those pesky Californians.

2. Turn Off Ads?

I've lived in eastern NC , Ohio, Northern California, Kansas, Arkansas, Southern Virginia, and now Jacksonville). Being a warm weather guy, my two favorites have been NoCal and here.

But all things considered, Jax is a tremendous place to live. Big enough to have a lot of stuff, (NFL team, AA baseball) yet not some huge city with bad traffic. Right on the ocean with tons of attractions just hours away.

Right on 2 interstates going east/west and north/South. No state income tax, housing prices not too bad.
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

Cincinnati

Pawleys Island, SC
    Asheville, NC

I'd split my time between them.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

Frequent snow, frequent earthquakes, and/or frequent torandos rule out any place for me.

Drop the "continental" from the question, and the answer is incredibly easy: Hawaii.

NC is nice in that it has mountains, beaches, and a couple of different metropolitan areas (Charlotte & Raleigh-Durham). Tobacco Road during basketball season is a ton of fun, too.

I have always had a fascination with Los Angeles, and regret that I've never been able to live in Beverly Hills and/or Malibu for at least some amount of time. I'd probably get my feel of both in a couple of years or less, though.

I'd also like Savannah, Georgia and anywhere in the Carolinas.

i would love to be in NC..
    LOL

I've lived in the Bay Area, San Diego, Scottsdale.....gimme Portland over all of em. No contest.
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

Rural KY is a great place to live. I have been to quite a few places and I am always glad to be home.

If I were going to move to a "city" it would be to Lexington/Georgetown, KY probably. I think that's the largest I could handle for an extended period. I love Nashville, but I'm not sure I would want to live there. I considered moving there after high school, but the traffic is horrible.

Also, when you live in this area for you entire life, the big cities seem very dirty. I just bought my house here in December and I plan to be here for a long time. Barren Co. was named one of the best counties to live in the US and I have to agree. I was raised about 40 miles from here, but this is now my home for, pretty much, the last 10 years.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

Quote Originally Posted by macro View Post
    I'd also like Savannah, Georgia and anywhere in the Carolinas.
    I'll agree that there are a variety of nice places in NC. And my in-laws have been in Charleston SC for a decade now. That's another fantastic place...if you don't mind humidity and the occasional possibility of a hurricane.

(We're actually heading over to Charleston this weekend.)

But anywhere in the Carolinas? You ever been through, say, Fayetteville NC or Orangeburg SC?

Quote Originally Posted by 15fan View Post
    I'll agree that there are a variety of nice places in NC. And my in-laws have been in Charleston SC for a decade now. That's another fantastic place...if you don't mind humidity and the occasional possibility of a hurricane.

But anywhere in the Carolinas? You ever been through, say, Fayetteville NC or Orangeburg SC?
    Clover, South Carolina?

Doubt it

The wife and I were talking about this yesterday. We've lived all over the country. Texas, New Mexico, Iowa, and other parts for a while. Plus I spend a lot of time in PA for work so we've experienced a wide variety of places to live. I grew up in the mountains of eastern KY, she in the flats of Illinois.

We both agree that our time living in Cincinnati was probably the place we liked the most.
    In those things which we commit to practice we can master, and with mastery we have the freedom to use these skills whenever we desire, without this practice we are slaves to our inability.

Quote Originally Posted by 15fan View Post

Fayetteville is great if you happen to be Airborne, sell guns or used cars or are a stripper. NC is just like any state- you have your great places and your awful ones. But by and large I think the options there are far better than, say, the state I currently inhabit.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

Quote Originally Posted by VR View Post
    I've lived in the Bay Area, San Diego, Scottsdale.....gimme Portland over all of em. No contest.
    As someone who's considered living in San Diego and Portland, could you expand on why you like Portland so much better? I'm always interested in why people like or dislike certain places.
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

Quote Originally Posted by RichRed View Post
    As someone who's considered living in San Diego and Portland, could you expand on why you like Portland so much better? I'm always interested in why people like or dislike certain places.
    Portland is more of a small town, yet has a big town feel. The weather is varied as it mocks the Midwest more than most west coast cities. It's not as car centric as any town south of San Francisco, nor is it as expensive. Close to the ocean, close to mountains, a 3 hour drive to the high desert, makes the terrain a major factor, in short there is a lot to do if you lie the outdoors.

However its' not as awash in jobs as California, nor diverse cultures... sure it's changing but there is an old school vibe around here that screams lumber jack... not as much as there was 5 years ago.

Turn Off Ads?