Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Report: Junior Seau Dead

Re: Report: Junior Seau Dead

Quote Originally Posted by top6 View Post
    You are so brave.

Also, I thought your post was offensive mostly because it demonstrated a lot of ignorance. I wasn't personally offended.
    At worst, Seau is a pathetic figure of a human being.

At best, he's incredibly selfish.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Gack View Post

At best actually, he was a great guy, that had a deteriorating brain that made it impossible for him to be balanced and make thoughtful, well articulated decisions.

Quote Originally Posted by Slyder View Post
    My question is could this be another case of a professional athlete that couldn't adjust to not being a professional athlete?
    Yes, no, maybe??

I think it is a massive adjustment that a lot of people have trouble making. I think there are issues with your revenue stream stoping but your expenses staying put. You have lived a life in which you were hard at it year round and could eat anything you wanted, when you stop playing that is an adjustment you had to make. Guys like Mark Schlereth have said that when they quit playing football they needed to drop down to a healthy weight.

There was an article posted earlier in this thread that highlighted the surprising amount of deaths from the Super Bowl Chargers team. But my question is whether or not those deaths are directly related to football. Was Seau's suicide brought on by a mentail illness, depression, etc that was caused by contact or one that was not all that unrelated to all the suicide cases that happen throughout society.

Also, I thought your post was offensive mostly because it demonstrated a lot of ignorance. I wasn't personally offended.
    I disagree but it's not about me. This is about Seau

Or maybe there's more to it, considering the number of former NFL players who have committed suicide?

At best, your comment is ignorant. At worst, it's pathetic.
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

Quote Originally Posted by RichRed View Post
    Or maybe there's more to it, considering the number of former NFL players who have committed suicide?

At best, your comment is ignorant. At worst, it's pathetic.
    I'm sure there are plenty of others out there who seriously contemplated suicide that would call Seau a worthless piece of scum too. So I'm sure I'm not the only one.

I'm sure there are plenty of others out there who seriously contemplated suicide that would call Seau a worthless piece of scum too. So I'm sure I'm not the only one.
    That wouldn't make you correct, however.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

There are plenty of people who would say Seau was a bad person because he wasn't white. That doesn't make them correct.

And I'm sure that some of those people would be more likely to empathize with Seau, understanding full well the anguish that they themselves have been through.

But it's good to know you've made up your mind, from all your personal interaction with Seau, that he was a "piece of scum."
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

There are plenty of people who would say Seau was a bad person because he wasn't white. That doesn't make them correct.
    That has nothing to do with one's opinion of people who put bullets through their chest. Race aside, whether someone is a "good guy" or a "scumbag" is an opinion that will vary from person to person and we should respect it as such

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    That has nothing to do with one's opinion of people who put bullets through their chest. Race aside, whether someone is a "good guy" or a "scumbag" is an opinion that will vary from person to person and we should respect it as such
    I don't think "respect" is the proper term...
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I don't think "respect" is the proper term...
    I "respect" your opinion on that...

It's completely ignorant not to consider that this person may not have been capable of making a rational decision.

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    I don't have to respect your opinion at all, and I don't respect it. I respect your right to have an opinion, but that is all.

The position you've taken (and Todd Gack has taken) in this thread is as wrong, in my opinion, as if you had come on here and criticized Seau for being Polynesian. It would be as wrong as if I came on here and mocked a poster's dead parent for being too weak to survive a heart attack. It demonstrates total ignorance of mental illness; a complete lack of empathy for other human beings; and it demonstrates the same rush to judgment that you sanctimoniously lecture posters to avoid in other threads. It's a pretty disgusting opinion, in my view, but this is America so you certainly have the right express it.
    Last edited by top6; 05-03-2012 at 02:31 PM.

I don't have to respect your opinion at all, and I don't respect it. I respect your right to have an opinion, but that is all.

The position you've taken (and Todd Gack has taken) in this thread is as wrong, in my opinion, as if you had come on here and criticized Seau for being Polynesian. It would be as wrong as if I came on here and mocked a poster's dead parent for being too weak to survive a heart attack. It demonstrates total ignorance of mental illness; a complete lack of empathy for other human beings; and it demonstrates the same rush to judgment that you sanctimoniously lecture posters to avoid in other threads. It's a pretty disgusting opinion, in my view, but this is America so you certainly have the right express it.
    Just so I know what disgusting opinion I have, please copy and paste what I've said that you think demonstrates a total ignorance of mental illness.

I think Ted Kaczynski was mentally ill too but I don't think that he was a good guy either. I am well aware that Seau had some issues hence my mentioning demons. I didn't go as far as Todd's description but I respect where he's coming from

Turn Off Ads?