Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Report: Junior Seau Dead

Re: Report: Junior Seau Dead

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Just so I know what disgusting opinion I have, please copy and paste what I've said that you think demonstrates a total ignorance of mental illness.

I think Ted Kaczynski was mentally ill too but I don't think that he was a good guy either. I am well aware that Seau had some issues hence my mentioning demons. I didn't go as far as Todd's description but I respect where he's coming from
    No thanks, you'll just have to figure it out for yourself.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Bateman View Post
    It's completely ignorant not to consider that this person may not have been capable of making a rational decision.
    And yet, no one noticed?

Quote Originally Posted by top6 View Post
    No thanks, you'll just have to figure it out for yourself.
    Cool, let's move on

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Gack View Post
    And yet, no one noticed?
    The human brain is far too complex to answer that honestly.

There were likely signs if he did have a disorder, but those close can often have trouble accepting reality.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Bateman View Post
    The human brain is far too complex to answer that honestly.

There were likely signs if he did have a disorder, but those close can often have trouble accepting reality.
    His illness doesn't excuse his actions. He's incredibly selfish.

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Gack View Post
    His illness doesn't excuse his actions. He's incredibly selfish.
    It might actually.

Just a question, have you ever been involved with someone that is mentally ill in your personal life? There's a very good chance that he had no ability to control his actions. It's possible he didnt even have the ability to be selfish.

We simply do not know.

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    What can you really do though? It's just kind of the nature of the game.
    I don't know. I watch pro-football and like it but there's something uninspiring about it -- overpadded robots hurling at each other, over-specialization, silly rule parsing (he had control before the second knee touched the ground, blah, blah, blah).

There's a beauty, simplicity and grace to baseball, basketball, soccer that's just plain missing in the NFL product. Can't put my finger on it exactly. And don't know what to do to change it.

Great human beings don't do this to his kids and family. Anyone see what this did to his mother? You don't do that to your loved ones.
    I'm guessing his mother wouldn't like what she's read about Junior on this board.

Strictly speaking, suicide is selfish. And I understand the scorn for those that do it. But the pain -- mental or physical -- must be terrible.

Also, stepping out on a limb here, I know a lot of Samoans. They are not the type to express their pain to others.

Quote Originally Posted by Rojo View Post
    I don't know. I watch pro-football and like it but there's something uninspiring about it -- overpadded robots hurling at each other, over-specialization, silly rule parsing (he had control before the second knee touched the ground, blah, blah, blah).

There's a beauty, simplicity and grace to baseball, basketball, soccer that's just plain missing in the NFL product. Can't put my finger on it exactly. And don't know what to do to change it.
    I don't think football is about beauty or grace, it's about violence and power.

I don't think football will exist the way it does now for much longer. I hope they can clean it up so we still have the game, otherwise in 30 years it'll be a sideshow. I would miss it.

Also, this thread is ridiculous. People that like to condemn those that commit suicide are real deep thinkers.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

I'm going to throw another idea out there. I wonder if steroid use could have something to do with all of this. Anybody heard that discussed anywhere?

I'm going to throw another idea out there. I wonder if steroid use could have something to do with all of this. Anybody heard that discussed anywhere?
    Yes, on Boston sports radio, not sure if that's the company you want to keep.
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful View Post
    I don't think football is about beauty or grace, it's about violence and power.

I don't think football will exist the way it does now for much longer. I hope they can clean it up so we still have the game, otherwise in 30 years it'll be a sideshow. I would miss it.

Also, this thread is ridiculous. People that like to condemn those that commit suicide are real deep thinkers.
    When you have former greats like Kurt Warner saying he doesn't want his own kids playing football, you know the sport's landscape is about to change drastically, on all levels. It's basically touch football now compared to when I grew up, but it's still violent, as you said. However, other than shrinking and weakening the players, what else can be done?

Quote Originally Posted by New York Red View Post
    However, other than shrinking and weakening the players, what else can be done?
    Fundamentally change the sport?

How about a return to iron man football wherein players must play both sides of the ball?

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post

How about a return to iron man football wherein players must play both sides of the ball?
    I had the exact same thought.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post

Interesting concept, but wouldn't that greatly reduce the number of players needed on an NFL roster? I don't think that's the direction the league wants to go. It would probably make someone like Tim Tebow a star though. Oh wait, he's already considered a star in the league.

Turn Off Ads?