Turn Off Ads?
Page 30 of 33 FirstFirst ... 202627282930313233 LastLast

Thread: 8/24/12 - Reds vs Cards

Re: 8/24/12 - Reds vs Cards

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    There are very few ways to measure future success or failure in baseball. One important way is to look at the schedule. Home. Away. Playing tough teams. Playing weak teams.

Nobody knows if the Cards or Pirates will be hot or cold going forward. You can guess based on last year or based on stats. But none of these teams is the 27 Yankees, they go hot and cold. Nobody knows which they will be.

So one guideline to look at is schedule.

The Washington Nationals have the best record in baseball. The Cards play them seven times. The Reds and Pirates are done with them. I think that is quite significant.

You obviously don't. Fine. But when the Cards play the Nationals while the Reds are playing the Astros, I'll take my chances with that situation.
    What I know is that if you run correlation to future results, one would first want to look at the team playing those games before worrying about who and where they're being played.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

2. Turn Off Ads?

Brutus you edited that post quicker than a Billy Hamilton sprint down the first base line.

Quote Originally Posted by George Foster View Post
    It does hold special implications because they lost a game they should of won...it's called a 2 game swing in the standings. That's the implication.
    That would be true if it was 17-0 or a blown 8-run lead.

No difference.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

6-4-3 DP. 8-5 Cards mid 9th.

One last chance. Phillips, Ludwick and Bruce due up

Quote Originally Posted by cincrazy View Post
    Brutus you edited that post quicker than a Billy Hamilton sprint down the first base line.
    That's usually how quick I can realize how stupid I was

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

HBP, walk, dinger to tie it up and send it into extras.

Quote Originally Posted by smith288 View Post
    Does Stubbs understand that if you have two strikes, a pitch down the middle is too close to take?
    Don't we all learn that in little league? Stubbs has so many holes in his game. I would've moved him for Victorino and laughed at those who were asking for him.
    Attended 1976 World Series in my Mother's Womb. Attended 1990 World Series Game 2 as a 13 year old. Want to take my son to a a World Series Game in Cincinnati in my lifetime.

Motte in to pitch

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus View Post
    What I know is that if you run correlation to future results, one would first want to look at the team playing those games before worrying about who and where they're being played.
    You can run all the correlations you want.

But nobody, not even you, knows how the Pirates or Cards will be playing over the next weeks. It's a very long season and teams go hot and cold.

A critical element of this is the nature of the opposition. So that's what I tend to look at.

Particularly this year when there are two doormat teams in the Central. Which teams face the Astros and Cubs the most is important. Those teams lose so often.

So we disagree, but I have always focused on schedule in looking to possible future results and will continue to do so. It doesn't mean it works every time, they have to play the games.

But if the Cards can prevail given their schedule, they will have climbed a huge hill.

What is incredibly aggravating about this Reds pitching staff is how Jekyll and Hyde they can be, save Cueto. Start to start doesn't bother me, as anything can happen between starts, but how quickly things can turn south for the remaining four starters is baffling. They can look like a Cy Young candidate in one inning and implode the very next inning. I know, that's just baseball, but it still blows my mind at times.

Phillips grounds out to 2nd.

Quote Originally Posted by powersackers View Post
    Don't we all learn that in little league? Stubbs has so many holes in his game. I would've moved him for Victorino and laughed at those who were asking for him.
    Is there a stat somewhere that can tell me how many times Stubbs has been down 0-2? It seems like 75% of the time.
    1st pick of the 2023 baseball amateur draft

Quote Originally Posted by George Foster View Post
    Is there a stat somewhere that can tell me how many times Stubbs has been down 0-2? It seems like 75% of the time.
    Yeah, but Phillips is constantly down 0-2 also. He can handle it. Stubbs can't.

Ludwick lines a single to left

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    You can run all the correlations you want.

But nobody, not even you, knows how the Pirates or Cards will be playing over the next weeks. It's a very long season and teams go hot and cold.

A critical element of this is the nature of the opposition. So that's what I tend to look at.

Particularly this year when there are two doormat teams in the Central. Which teams face the Astros and Cubs the most is important. Those teams lose so often.

So we disagree, but I have always focused on schedule in looking to possible future results and will continue to do so. It doesn't mean it works every time, they have to play the games.

But if the Cards can prevail given their schedule, they will have climbed a huge hill.
    No, I don't know. But I do know that the talent and ability of the teams is the more important factor first and foremost. So I'm not going to concern myself too with with the schedule when I feel St. Louis is flat out a better team than Pittsburgh. And that's becoming more and more clear by the week.

Turn Off Ads?