Turn Off Ads?
Page 14 of 32 FirstFirst ... 410111213141516171824 ... LastLast

Thread: Ludwick: I'm calling fans out

Re: Ludwick: I'm calling fans out

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRedleg View Post
    But Ludwick wasn't even complaining about that.

Booing is bad, but all fan bases do it and just like ripping players on a message board it has nothing to do with Ludwick's comments. He wants more "passion".
    Understood. I just find it funny when a fan's entitlement is brought into the conversation.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by joshua View Post
    Daugherty can take this article and shove it. That rat bastard is nothing but a troll. If you buy into anything he writes, you probably also think professional wrestling is real.
    I'm no fan of Doc's. I find his writing very irritating and often devoid of sports intellect but I want to state for the record that in this case I'm basing my comments on the Ludwick interview I saw on TV. In fact I didn't even read Doc's article. I rarely do

Quote Originally Posted by OldXOhio View Post
    Like attending a game and booing the home team? It's your right to do so, just part of the deal, correct?
    I've never booed the home team, but if people want to do it, yeah, they're allowed.

Quote Originally Posted by HeatherC1212 View Post
    I'll be there all three games this weekend too. That means at least four of us (including my mom who's coming with me Friday and Sunday) will be cheering our hearts out!
    and I still got that extra free ticket for Friday's game!
    2023 Reds record attending: 13-18 FINAL
    2023 Dragons record attending: 0-0 FINAL
    2023 Y'Alls record attending: 0-0 FINAL
    "We want to be the band to dance to when the bomb drops." - Simon Le Bon of Duran Duran

6. Likes:

HeatherC1212 (09-26-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by swaisuc View Post
    You will need to come back in a few pages and tell us you only meant for September.
    Yes, I made a mistake posting on my phone and corrected it.

The horror, so sorry to waste your time doing that

Quote Originally Posted by Hollcat View Post
    Sorry but I don't disagree with him. Today with Votto up and bases loaded late in the game behind 3b dugout there were about 6 fans on thier feet. It started getting loud before the second pitch but settled back down for the rest of the at bat. That's a perfect for the crowd to be into the game and giving the team something to feed off of instead of sitting and waiting for something to react to. I know the game was anything but exciting to that point that's a situation that most crowds will be making some noise instead of waiting to see if there is something to cheer for.
    Well, I like Votto and I'm thrilled we have him, but he's not the most exciting player on the team. He is the best hitter all around, but a lot of his value comes from walks. Watching him take 2-3 strikes and try to work the count is just not exciting for most fans. I understand him trying to get walks. It's smart, but it doesn't exactly fire up the crowd.

I think that's one reason why this team offense isn't exactly "exciting".. Choo and Votto get a lot of their values from walks. Honestly, I get more excited when Bruce comes to plate. Sure, Bruce strikes out quite a bit too but he's swinging and protecting the plate. He's not watching borderline pitches go by and hoping they get called balls.

Again, this is not a criticism of Votto. He's awesome.. But understand, a Votto at bat is not something fans are going to get up on their feet in anticipation for. 7.9% of Joey's plate appearance are extra base hits. In contrast, 11.8% of Bruce's plate appearances are extra base hits.
    Bruce is just more exciting, IMO. That doesn't mean he's better.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus View Post
    Wouldn't say I'm happy with the results, but I certainly have enough perspective not to call it a "failure."

2 wins 6 losses.

0 for GABP

I'd hate to see how bad it has to get to meet your definition of failure.
    Last edited by Marc D; 09-26-2013 at 10:54 AM. Reason: typo

10. Likes:

WMR (09-28-2013)

Haunted by walks

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    Well, I like Votto and I'm thrilled we have him, but he's not the most exciting player on the team. He is the best hitter all around, but a lot of his value comes from walks. Watching him take 2-3 strikes and try to work the count is just not exciting for most fans. I understand him trying to get walks. It's smart, but it doesn't exactly fire up the crowd.

I think that's one reason why this team offense isn't exactly "exciting".. Choo and Votto get a lot of their values from walks. Honestly, I get more excited when Bruce comes to plate. Sure, Bruce strikes out quite a bit too but he's swinging and protecting the plate. He's not watching borderline pitches go by and hoping they get called balls.

Again, this is not a criticism of Votto. He's awesome.. But understand, a Votto at bat is not something fans are going to get up on their feet in anticipation for. 7.9% of Joey's plate appearance are extra base hits. In contrast, 11.8% of Bruce's plate appearances are extra base hits.
    Bruce is just more exciting, IMO. That doesn't mean he's better.
    You may be right about that. Maybe if Votto stood and posed and flipped the bat after his walks ...

Quote Originally Posted by mdccclxix View Post
    I will never doubt the power of kids going back to school again. I'm not sure what the reds players expect all their fans that live decent responsible lives to do. Will they be paying for the babysitter? I mean the trend is so obvious. Reds fans are salt of the earth people by and large.
    For years I have heard the "kids are back in school" explanation for small crowds. The first three decades of my life that were childless, I didn't understand. Now that I have two young kids, I definitely understand it. My wife and I took our two boys to probably 20 games from June-August, staying until 9:30, 10, and even midnight on one occasion. They liked it, we liked it, it was fun to do things as a family, and it simply didn't matter what time we got home. The kids were sleeping later anyway and if they needed to sleep later still, that was no big deal.

During the school year, the kids are exhausted by the return to school without putting a weeknight baseball game on top of it. Adding a baseball game to their schedule would have ramifications for days and across their life. You just can't do it. And because it's something I do at this point in my life with the kids or not at all, that means I don't really go to September games, during the week, either.

Will I be there this weekend? Of course. And that gets to what is wrong with Ludwick's comments. Comparing Reds@Pirates on a weekend to Mets@Reds during the week isn't apples to oranges, it's apples to stones.

13. Likes:

919191 (09-26-2013),KittyDuran (09-26-2013),mdccclxix (09-27-2013),REDREAD (09-26-2013),remdog (09-28-2013),RiverRat13 (09-26-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by muethibp View Post
    During the school year, the kids are exhausted by the return to school without putting a weeknight baseball game on top of it. Adding a baseball game to their schedule would have ramifications for days and across their life. You just can't do it. And because it's something I do at this point in my life with the kids or not at all, that means I don't really go to September games, during the week, either.
    I do not have any kids, but in my childhood growing up, my siblings and I played a lot of sports on top of school. I think that factors into attendance numbers too. Parents have to drive to and from practices or games and sometimes they stay to watch them too. There simply isn't any time to attend Reds games.

Plus I think kids nowadays have a lot more homework than I ever remember having.
    2015 Attendance 2-1 (4/6, 4/7,4/24)
    2014 Attendance 1-3 (3/31, 4/12, 8/14)
    2013 Attendance: 6-0 (4/3, 4/16, 4/17, 8/3, 8/21, 9/7)

15. Likes:

919191 (09-26-2013),KittyDuran (09-26-2013),mdccclxix (09-27-2013),Revering4Blue (09-26-2013)

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

The "kids are back in school" reasoning is lame -- no kid was ever killed from staying up on one or two school nights past 8 or 9 PM. I went to plenty of school night games as a child. The idea that your kid will explode or turn into a juvenile delinquent if he's out after sundown during the school year is alarmingly silly to me.

Ryan Ludwick is also lame for calling the fans out.

But, what else do you expect? There's a lot of general negativity on this Reds squad -- from Phillips mouthing off about his contract to Votto yelling naughty words whenever he has a bad AB. There's just a general bad vibe coming off this team, and there has been one all year.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

17. Likes:

BuckeyeRedleg (09-26-2013),Chip R (09-26-2013),remdog (09-28-2013),WMR (09-28-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by muethibp View Post
    For years I have heard the "kids are back in school" explanation for small crowds. The first three decades of my life that were childless, I didn't understand. Now that I have two young kids, I definitely understand it. My wife and I took our two boys to probably 20 games from June-August, staying until 9:30, 10, and even midnight on one occasion. They liked it, we liked it, it was fun to do things as a family, and it simply didn't matter what time we got home. The kids were sleeping later anyway and if they needed to sleep later still, that was no big deal.

I understand that but Cincinnati isn't the only major league city in the country in which kids go to school. Far as I know they have schools in Milwaukee, St. Louis, Chicago, New York City, L.A., Denver, etc. Now are families with school age kids going to ball games in those cities? If they aren't, they are drawing more for other reasons so the "kids in school" excuse is moot and the Reds need to figure out how to get more people out in September who can't use the "kids-in-school" excuse.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

19. Likes:

Swampturkey (09-28-2013)

I haven't read the whole thread so I'm sure this point has been made, but I don't understand why this comes up in a year where we set an all-time attendance record. So all the previous 100+ years, the fans sucked even worse?

Maybe Ludwick had more time to think about this kind of thing, not playing most of the year.

21. Likes:

KittyDuran (09-26-2013),mdccclxix (09-27-2013),RiverRat13 (09-26-2013),WMR (09-28-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    I understand that but Cincinnati isn't the only major league city in the country in which kids go to school. Far as I know they have schools in Milwaukee, St. Louis, Chicago, New York City, L.A., Denver, etc. Now are families with school age kids going to ball games in those cities? If they aren't, they are drawing more for other reasons so the "kids in school" excuse is moot and the Reds need to figure out how to get more people out in September who can't use the "kids-in-school" excuse.
    Asking that question of Milwaukee and St. Louis is fair. The other cities are so much bigger than Cincinnati that you can't really include them in this discussion. I would almost guarantee there are more people without kids in NYC and Chicago than the total amount of people in Cincinnati.

23. Likes:

Caveat Emperor (09-26-2013),KittyDuran (09-26-2013),mdccclxix (09-27-2013),Revering4Blue (09-26-2013)

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    Having a more vibrant urban core and better city neighborhoods would help -- white flight pushed a lot of the middle-class suburbs out to places like West Chester, Loveland, and Mason. The trip to the ballpark becomes more of an ordeal when it's 30+ minutes there and 30+ minutes back.

For myself, living 5 minutes from downtown, a nice night and a lack of other plans are all it takes to get me to the yard.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

25. Likes:

M2 (09-26-2013),RiverRat13 (09-26-2013)

Turn Off Ads?