Turn Off Ads?
Page 7 of 33 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast

Thread: Zach Stewart's progress

Re: Zach Stewart's progress

Quote Originally Posted by GIDP View Post
    Its a foregone conclusion to everyone that favored the trade that he was just a bullpen arm though.
    No, it was a foregone conclusion that he was sort of in limbo as a starter or as a reliever. A converted NCAA reliever with ~90 IP under his belt as a starter is hardly a starting pitching prospect... yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Thus his team was punished
    Long live punishment
    Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Cut back on booze and pizza?
    Good god man get a hold of yourself

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Plus Plus View Post
    No, it was a foregone conclusion that he was sort of in limbo as a starter or as a reliever. A converted NCAA reliever with ~90 IP under his belt as a starter is hardly a starting pitching prospect... yet.
    Stewart was a starter 2 out of his 3 years in college. Only in his junior year at Texas Tech did he relieve.

Quote Originally Posted by Plus Plus View Post
    I'd put it this way....it was a foregone conclusion that you don't count your chickens before they hatch with pitchers and their roles.....
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Last night (4/27): Working on 12 days rest, Stewart had an excellent outing --

5IP, 1 hit, 0 runs, 0 BB, 5 K

7GB/3FB

1 excellent start, 1 good, 1 awful.

Yesterday (5/2): Working on 4 days rest for AA New Hampshire, Stewart has a rough start.

6IP, 7 hits, 5 ER, 2 BB, 1 K, 1 HBP

11GB/2FB

Of the 7 hits, 4 went for extra bases (2 2b, 1 3B, 1 HR)

In 4 starts, Stewart's ERA stands at 5.75. 13k/7bb.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

I am curious as to whats up with the HR rate. Stewart gave up 2 HR's with the Reds in 112.1 innings. This season he has allowed 4 in 20.1 innings.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    I am curious as to whats up with the HR rate. Stewart gave up 2 HR's with the Reds in 112.1 innings. This season he has allowed 4 in 20.1 innings.
    Walt Jocketty had a crystal ball...clearly.

TINSTAAPP!

We already have four of these guys trying to figure it out at the major league level, with at least two more showing more promise than Stewart in AAA. Nice trade Walt, now make some more just like it.
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    TINSTAAPP!

We already have four of these guys trying to figure it out at the major league level, with at least two more showing more promise than Stewart in AAA. Nice trade Walt, now make some more just like it.
    He traded two prospect pitchers, one of whom is pitching for the Blue Jays, for a 35 year old 3B that he extended. He signed a 35 yo SS too.

So do you want him to trade for Magglio Ordonez? Sign Jermaine Dye? both, and extend them 3 years? Just asking, cuz I sure don't.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

This thread might as well just be blown up and thrown in a dump now.

Quote Originally Posted by GIDP View Post
    This thread might as well just be blown up and thrown in a dump now.
    nice.

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    nice.
    Wasnt really referring to your post, but both of them combined is like lighting a fuse that this thread really didnt need.

It is a tired argument, so i'll just step aside...

It is a tired argument, so i'll just step aside...
    I know its hard sometimes to not take the bait. Stepping aside is probably a good idea.

He traded two prospect pitchers, one of whom is pitching for the Blue Jays, for a 35 year old 3B that he extended. He signed a 35 yo SS too.

So do you want him to trade for Magglio Ordonez? Sign Jermaine Dye? both, and extend them 3 years? Just asking, cuz I sure don't.
    Scott Rolen is one of two professional hitters (and fielders) on this team right now. So yes, I would like more players like him.

For instance, Vladimir Guerrero (who I openly pined for towards the end of last year and this offseason) would look nice in LF right about now. Especially for $6MM on a one year deal. He recently admitted the abundance of Latin players on Texas' roster is what attracted him there, and we clearly have no shortage of Latin players in Cincinnati.

Obviously the key is being able to evaluate which veteran players to go after (as the other side of the equation is being able to evaluate which prospects to trade.) Early results show that Walt may have gotten this one right (much like he did with the Stein/McGwire and Smith/Rolen trades.) Sure he lost the Haren/Mulder trade, but I'll take a 75% success rate on these types of trades any day of the week. Please make some more Walt!

And for the record, he also jettisoned Edwin Encarnacion, a perennial whipping boy and underachiever, in that deal. For someone who is so intent on bashing players like Drew Stubbs every step along the way (not accusing, because I am right there with you) I am not exactly sure who you want to be playing instead of him? I for one would like to see more players that bring the type of professionalism and skill to every at-bat and play in the field that Rolen has so far in a Reds uniform. Finally, as far as the extension goes, it was a good move that gave the Reds more financial flexibility (which they utilized to sign Chapman, btw). Had they traded Stewart and co. for only one year of Rolen, most people around here would have gone bananas. I don't see how you could possibly still be complaining about this move, given how the results have played out so far.
    Last edited by Benihana; 05-03-2010 at 05:25 PM.
    Go BLUE!!!

Turn Off Ads?