Turn Off Ads?
Page 60 of 68 FirstFirst ... 1050565758596061626364 ... LastLast

Thread: 2013 Bengals Discussion

Re: 2013 Bengals Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful View Post
    He does good things every week. If you don't look at some of Dalton's best throws and see any potential than you're probably too married to the idea that Dalton sucks.

I have Sunday ticket, I see plenty of bad QB play, Andy Dalton is not a bad QB.
    I mentioned it earlier in this thread, but his biggest issue is that his mechanics absolutely break down under pressure sometimes. He'd be a pretty damn good QB if he could fix that. Might come with time, might not.
    How do we know he's not Mel Torme?

2. Turn Off Ads?

There are times Dalton looks in over his head. He's not very good when a play breaks down and winds up taking sacks when throwing the ball away is the obvious move. He relies too heavily on AJ Green bailing him out at times....among other things.

But he does do a lot right, too, as has been said. I think for Dalton to be successful enough for the Bengals to be legit SB contenders, he needs a consistent running game, which the Bengals don't have right now. That's why it's easy to watch the Bengals play and think Dalton is the big issue. He's not the guy who's going to carry the team. But the Bengals haven't run the ball consistently well since he's been the QB. That's one thing they had for years until the last 2. They need that more than anything else if they're going to contend this year.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Even still, in baseball terms, Andy Dalton is a solid #3 starter. Sure, it is possible he turns into Cliff Lee and gets every last ounce of potential out of his tools, but it isn't likely.

I appreciate Dalton. I lived through the 90's as a Bengals fan. I know how much worse it could be. But I have also seen better from a Bengals quarterback and plenty of better around the league currently IMO. I just don't see him as a quarterback who is leading you to a Super Bowl. I hope I am wrong because I want the Bengals to win, but I just don't see him being that kind of a guy.
    In terms of QBR last year, Andy Dalton was a better quarterback than Joe Flacco. Flacco won a Super Bowl. Eli Manning's first ring had a QBR worse than Dalton last season. Trent Dilfer was a mediocre QB for Baltimore. He won a Super Bowl. A few years ago, Ben Roethlisberger had a miserable season in 2008 (42.8 QBR) but won a Super Bowl. Brad Johnson won a ring for Tampa Bay.

The point here is that you truly do not need a great QB to win a Super Bowl, not as long as you have a great defense and a reliable running game.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

5. Likes:

HeatherC1212 (09-23-2013)

I don't think Flacco is that good. I'd take Dalton over him. He's always had a good running game and a great defense.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

7. Likes:

Brutus (09-22-2013),Stray (09-23-2013),wolfboy (09-22-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus View Post
    In terms of QBR last year, Andy Dalton was a better quarterback than Joe Flacco. Flacco won a Super Bowl. Eli Manning's first ring had a QBR worse than Dalton last season. Trent Dilfer was a mediocre QB for Baltimore. He won a Super Bowl. A few years ago, Ben Roethlisberger had a miserable season in 2008 (42.8 QBR) but won a Super Bowl. Brad Johnson won a ring for Tampa Bay.

The point here is that you truly do not need a great QB to win a Super Bowl, not as long as you have a great defense and a reliable running game.
    Not only do the Bengals have a reliable running game and an outstanding defense, they have an unbelievable number of weapons on offense. Dalton, mediocre or not, has a ton of options to go with.
    How do we know he's not Mel Torme?

9. Likes:

Brutus (09-22-2013),Revering4Blue (09-23-2013)

The Bengals offensive line is having a great yr so far if you delve into the stat sites that explore those things. Andrew Whitworth is a huge improvement over Collins where run blocking is concerned. Gio Bernard sure looks like a difference maker to this point

11. Likes:

wolfboy (09-22-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    The Bengals offensive line is having a great yr so far if you delve into the stat sites that explore those things. Andrew Whitworth is a huge improvement over Collins where run blocking is concerned. Gio Bernard sure looks like a difference maker to this point
    I believe we may have seen the RB torch passed from the Law Firm to Gio today. Did Ellis carry it a single time in the second half? I don't recall seeing him after halftime.

13. Likes:

Benihana (09-22-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful View Post
    It's too early to tell what Andy Dalton's ceiling is yet. He has the skills to be a top 10 QB. It's his third year. Look at Drew Brees and Tom Brady in year 3, you can't say they were appreciably better than Dalton at that point in their progression (Brees was probably worse.)
    And you said earlier in the thread how hysterical the posts were.

For the record, in today's pass happy NFL, there are three types of QB's:

1. Do everything QB's (Manning, Brady). These are the sure fire HOF QB's who make everybody around them better.

2. Read Option QB's (Kaepernick, Newton, RGIII). Create more with their legs and have the dual threat ability.

3. Game Manager QB's (Drew Brees and Matt Ryan). Above average to solid QB's who have an excellent supporting cast. They have to have so many toys on offense to be able to work with.

I think Dalton falls into the latter. He doesn't "suck" by any stretch, but he's an above average QB who needs to have weapons in order to be able to work.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

15. Likes:

Revering4Blue (09-23-2013),wolfboy (09-23-2013)

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by wolfboy View Post
    I mentioned it earlier in this thread, but his biggest issue is that his mechanics absolutely break down under pressure sometimes. He'd be a pretty damn good QB if he could fix that. Might come with time, might not.
    Agreed. Just wish he'd learn that the best way to deal with pressure is to fall back on your fundamentals.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

I was just glad to see the Bengals win one in a fashion that they usually lose.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

18. Likes:

Benihana (09-23-2013),HeatherC1212 (09-23-2013),KittyDuran (09-23-2013),paintmered (09-23-2013),Stray (09-23-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by reds1869 View Post
    Exactly my feelings. Solid and steady will get the job done with what is around him.
    Dalton has to eliminate mistakes to get to the solid and steady status. I think his ceiling is to be top 10 (not top 5) QB, but in order to get there he has to cut down on the turnovers.

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post

3. Game Manager QB's (Drew Brees and Matt Ryan). Above average to solid QB's who have an excellent supporting cast. They have to have so many toys on offense to be able to work with.
    Drew Brees is a game manager QB? Above average to solid? Not sure if we've been watching the same guy.

21. Likes:

Boss-Hog (09-23-2013)

My family (all 10 of them) are coming in for the game in 2 weeks. They are going to be staying in Blue Ash but I live in Western Hills so I would think the smart thing for them to do is to pick me up at my place and head down to the game from there. I know Longworth Hall is a good place to park but are there others places to park down by the stadium. I don't think any of us want to walk a long ways since one of my sisters had double hip replacements in August and my mom has a couple of fake knees. How early should we get down there?
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    Drew Brees is a game manager QB? Above average to solid? Not sure if we've been watching the same guy.
    He's had weapons in place in New Orleans when he has done well. It's not a knock on Brees but I do think he is a great qb when he has pieces around him. Brees didn't have the same type of success in San Diego.

Peyton Manning is the type of QB you could put in Jacksonville and immediately make the offense better. I'm not sure about Brees.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Andy Dalton by no means is an elite QB. But in reality I think there are only a few of those in the league. There are guys like Brady, Peyton Manning, Drew Brees, and Rodgers who are truly elite QB's. Guys who can go to a team and turn them into contenders overnight. Then you have jumbled mess with the next 10 QB's or so. You want to take Eli, Ryan or Big Ben or one of the read option guys ahead of Dalton go ahead. I don't know that I would. Truthfully out of the 2nd tier QB's the only one I would probably pay up to take over Dalton is Luck. Granted there are better QB's but when you take into consideration money I don't think the difference is all that much.

Turn Off Ads?