Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dayton off to an 8-0 start

Dayton off to an 8-0 start

I'm surprised no one's brought this up yet. The Dragons are dominating the MWL. They're hitting (.822 OPS, almost 7 runs a game) and they're pitching (1.38 ERA). This is where the organization can take a massive step forward. Not since the 1998 crew has a Reds draft class made a big splash in its second year. Drew Stubbs, Chris Valaika, Justin Turner, Chris Heisey, Jordan Smith, Sean Watson and Jamie Arneson are all 2006 draftees off to hot starts for Dayton.

It's also nice because Dayton fans haven't had much to cheer about since Edwin Encarnacion, Noochie Varner, Jesse Gutierrez, Chris Williamson, Bobby Basham, Nate Cotton, Todd Coffey, Brad Salmon and Daylan Childress comprised the core of the 2002 team.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Dayton off to an 8-0 start

Well everybody else was staying quiet to avoid jinxing the streak. Nice going.

Nice to see that Stubbs is hitting well.
    School's out. What did you expect?

Don't forget Latin American signees Francisco and Phipps hitting in the middle of the order. Both are younger than the 2006 draftees. Polished draft class supplied by Buckley et al., but I think you need the added oomph of an international pipeline to really get your system healthy.

Are some of those guys considered old for low-A?

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    Don't forget Latin American signees Francisco and Phipps hitting in the middle of the order. Both are younger than the 2006 draftees. Polished draft class supplied by Buckley et al., but I think you need the added oomph of an international pipeline to really get your system healthy.
    Agreed. They've got a few Dominican relievers in the mix. It would be real nice to see a few starters coming from overseas.

I also still say Eastern Europe is the place to be. Get some big shouldered Polish, Slovak and Ukrainian kids and team them the game.

Quote Originally Posted by BRM View Post
    Are some of those guys considered old for low-A?
    They're on the mature side, but you're probably not old for the level until you're 23. Figure that a good chunk of players in that league would be college seniors (ages 21 and 22 for the most part).

Lover of Trivialities Doc. Scott's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Agreed. They've got a few Dominican relievers in the mix. It would be real nice to see a few starters coming from overseas.

I also still say Eastern Europe is the place to be. Get some big shouldered Polish, Slovak and Ukrainian kids and team them the game.
    Which reminds me- 6'8"/277# right-handed pitcher Dushan Ruzic, fresh from Australia via Croatia, is now on the Sarasota roster.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Doc. Scott View Post
    Which reminds me- 6'8"/277# right-handed pitcher Dushan Ruzic, fresh from Australia via Croatia, is now on the Sarasota roster.
    I saw that this morning in the FSL transactions.

Also, Jamie Arneson was just put on the DL with shoulder soreness for Dayton.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    I saw that this morning in the FSL transactions.

Also, Jamie Arneson was just put on the DL with shoulder soreness for Dayton.
    Actually elbow and he was put on the DL retroactive to the 14th. Eligible to come off and pitch on the 21st (according to the DDN). Anthony Gressick took his spot on the roster

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Zippy McGee View Post
    Actually elbow and he was put on the DL retroactive to the 14th. Eligible to come off and pitch on the 21st (according to the DDN). Anthony Gressick took his spot on the roster
    Dragons tales

Lefty Jamie Arneson was put on the disabled list with a sore shoulder after pitching on a cold night last week. Anthony Gressick, a right-hander from Ohio University who began the season at "high" Class A Sarasota, takes his place.
    Dayton Daily News

We've already got a direct descendent of Count Dracula.

We've already got a direct descendent of Count Dracula.
    Who's that?

I figure Big Load Logan Ondrusek (6'8"), who got his first save in Sarasota last night, has some roots in Eastern Europe. Or maybe Turkey....?

Lover of Trivialities Doc. Scott's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    Who's that?

I figure Big Load Logan Ondrusek (6'8"), who got his first save in Sarasota last night, has some roots in Eastern Europe. Or maybe Turkey....?
    Yeah, but Ondrusek was listed at 205 when drafted, not 277. Maybe "Big Beanpole".

Score Early, Score Often gonelong's Avatar

I'm surprised no one's brought this up yet. The Dragons are dominating the MWL.
    I'll be headed there tonight. I'll be with the In-Laws and a 3 yr old, but if I happen to get a chance to watch the game I'll report back.

GL

Turn Off Ads?