Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Rooting for the front runner...

Re: Rooting for the front runner...

Quote Originally Posted by wolfboy View Post
    I guess I look at it like the 'Bama/LSU game in 2012: yeah there was a favorite, but was anybody really an underdog?
    Well, let me put it like this: About any team would be an underdog to the 2012-13 Heat except possibly the Dream Team, the 85-86 Celtics, perhaps the 82-83 Sixers, the Showtime and Kobe/Shaq Lakers and the Redeem Team.

The Spurs may be underdogs but you're right that they aren't exactly Cinderella.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

2. Likes:

remdog (06-14-2013)

3. Turn Off Ads?

On paper who has a better roster if you take out Wade and Lebron and Duncan and Parker?

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    Well, let me put it like this: About any team would be an underdog to the 2012-13 Heat except possibly the Dream Team, the 85-86 Celtics, perhaps the 82-83 Sixers, the Showtime and Kobe/Shaq Lakers and the Redeem Team.
    No Michael Jordan led Bulls team would be an underdog. Well, none of the six championship teams.

6. Likes:

Joseph (06-12-2013)

I'm a front runner, but only if the Reds are in front. Right now I'm a second place runner

Who am I kidding? I don't run

Did anyone really consider either of these teams "underdogs"?

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post

The Spurs may be underdogs but you're right that they aren't exactly Cinderella.
    I totally disagree. This Heat team isn't all that good. They're basically Lebron and a bunch of role players. And Lebron is struggling right now.

Quote Originally Posted by reds1869 View Post
    Which one featured the bad basketball? Perhaps the one where Duke won by 2 points and a last second shot that would have won it for Butler clanked off the rim?
    I didn't mean drama. I meant that they shot a combined 39% in that game. Butler shot 34% and shot a combined 26% in the two finals.
    Last edited by improbus; 06-12-2013 at 09:56 PM.
    Variatio delectat - Cicero

Thanks a lot, Bowie Kuhn Revering4Blue's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by coachpipe View Post
    On paper who has a better roster if you take out Wade and Lebron and Duncan and Parker?
    Miami.

And it's not even close.
    Whatever you do, do your best to not allow the struggles of life to interfere with the pleasures of living.

Who am I kidding? I don't run
    Really? Nothing?

To answer the OP's question, I believe that that it is a combination of - not to sound like a curmudgeon - the short attention span of people, particularly youngsters, due to today's technology/ability to view virtually any game/team.

Granted, one can argue that bandwagon fans on the Pro level have been around forever, especially among fans not living near a Pro City.

Examples: Raiders, Steelers, and Cowboy fans in the 70's. 49er fans in the 80's.

The major difference is that most, if not all of the aforementioned fans remain fans of said teams today.
    Whatever you do, do your best to not allow the struggles of life to interfere with the pleasures of living.

Quote Originally Posted by improbus View Post
    It is just as interesting to understand why we love the underdog so much. For example, in the NCAA tournament, in games where we have no rooting interest (either through fandom or gambling), we root for the underdog. Why? Generally speaking, the further underdogs go the worse the basketball played in the later rounds will be (try to rewatch the two Butler finals, I dare you.) So, for those of us who are fans of the sport, why root for an inferior product?
    So, if last year's Florida Gulf Coast uniforms instead read "North Carolina" and Wichita State's uniforms read "Kentucky" or "UConn", the "quality" of play would have improved?

Really? Nothing?

17. Likes:

Wonderful Monds (06-24-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    No Michael Jordan led Bulls team would be an underdog. Well, none of the six championship teams.
    Agreed. I was going to mention them but I accidentally left them out.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Really? Nothing?
    Not even when chased?
    How do we know he's not Mel Torme?

Turn Off Ads?