Turn Off Ads?
Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Cringe-Worthy Music

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

Re: Cringe-Worthy Music

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    Dom, we haven't always seen eye-to-eye in this thread, but I agree with everything you just typed. Excellent post!

EDIT: I'm still gonna choose Hendrix, but I've always been an instruments guy. I think there is a lot more emotion that can be released from a guitar than can be expressed in lyrics. Just my opinion. But that doesn't mean I can't agree with your post.
    And full disclosure: I waked out of Dave Matthews after the 50th solo. I did.

I play three instruments, and for me, it's always been about complimenting.

Edie Van Halen plays a solo, it;'s bathroom time for me. I want melody, I want the lyrics. I want to sing along. I want to think about a time in my life.

I don't want to sit there and clap along to somehting that I have no idea what I'm clapping to. Always been that way.

And it's great that you like the instrumentation. It really is.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by marcshoe View Post
    Yoko Ono.

That was the very first thought in my mind just upon seeing the title of this thread.
    "Trying is the first step towards failure." Homer Simpson

"I wasn't looking too good but I was feeling real well." Keith Richards

Quote Originally Posted by Dom Heffner View Post
    I want melody, I want the lyrics. I want to sing along. I want to think about a time in my life.
    This is me too, for the most part. I'm much more likely to be the guy singing along than I am to be the guy playing air guitar. I like the way words and music come together. I marvel at musicians who are able to do this and make it seem as simple as adding 1 + 1, because for me, it might as well be splitting the atom.
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

13 Belongs in Cooperstown Captain13's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RichRed View Post
    Of course it's a personal thing, and there's plenty of Genesis that I like and plenty that I don't like, but something about the sound of that "I Can't Dance" song always makes me want to crawl out of my skin. It's like nails on a chalkboard.

And at the risk of seeming stuck in the past, I also nominate the entire "Top Gun" soundtrack as supremely worthy of cringe.

For more recent stuff, anything by Three Doors Down, and while I realize it's low-hanging fruit, Nickelback. Also, someone mentioned Train earlier. That song "Hey Soul Sister" - bleccchhhh.
    Maybe this says something about my age, or just my taste, but I still listen to the Top Gun Soundtrack. Not all of it, but most of it.

I don't get the whole "I hate Nickelback" thing. Sure, Chad isn't an artist: not pretending to be. He is a rock star. Big songs, big ballads, big shows and big money. Are any of their songs great, maybe I Wanna Be a Rockstar...the irony. I love that song. But otherwise, they are above average pop tunes. Other than Rockstar, Nickelback has written three songs: 1, Uptempo sex song...AC/DC made a career on this song. 2, Midtempo introspective song...bleh. 3, Ballad...chicks dig ballads so Nickelback sings ballads. Last year I saw Nickelback live, they put on one helluva rock show. Big lights, bigger speakers, even bigger pyrotechnics with an even bigger stage (not to mention a second stage that lifted 30 feet in the air and rotated). Are they Hendrix or Zeppelin? Obviously not. But they are everything AC/DC and Van Halen were, only to a new audience.
    What if this is as good as it gets?

As someone who dislikes Nickelback, I feel like they get a lot more flack than they deserve. But I'm not as ashamed as I should be to admit that I laughed at this:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7W-2BJUveE

Quote Originally Posted by Captain13 View Post
    I don't get the whole "I hate Nickelback" thing. Sure, Chad isn't an artist: not pretending to be. He is a rock star. Big songs, big ballads, big shows and big money. Are any of their songs great, maybe I Wanna Be a Rockstar...the irony. I love that song. But otherwise, they are above average pop tunes. Other than Rockstar, Nickelback has written three songs: 1, Uptempo sex song...AC/DC made a career on this song. 2, Midtempo introspective song...bleh. 3, Ballad...chicks dig ballads so Nickelback sings ballads. Last year I saw Nickelback live, they put on one helluva rock show. Big lights, bigger speakers, even bigger pyrotechnics with an even bigger stage (not to mention a second stage that lifted 30 feet in the air and rotated). Are they Hendrix or Zeppelin? Obviously not. But they are everything AC/DC and Van Halen were, only to a new audience.
    For me, it's as simple as this: When I hear that guy's voice, I cringe. I don't hate Nickelback because it's popular to hate Nickelback; there's just nothing about their sound that even remotely appeals to me.
    -Air Supply

Quote Originally Posted by RichRed View Post
    For me, it's as simple as this: When I hear that guy's voice, I cringe. I don't hate Nickelback because it's popular to hate Nickelback; there's just nothing about their sound that even remotely appeals to me.
    Creed does this to me.

Creed does this to me.
    Yeah, they're about as cringe-worthy as it gets for me too.
    -Air Supply

Although he's a little generic, I kind of like Creed's guitarist.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qnkuBUAwfe0
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8lKBro5YkPs

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    As someone who dislikes Nickelback, I feel like they get a lot more flack than they deserve. But I'm not as ashamed as I should be to admit that I laughed at this:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7W-2BJUveE
    Boo. Just because you don't like the music doesn't mean you chuck things at him/them. Poor taste Portugal. Poor taste.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Boo. Just because you don't like the music doesn't mean you chuck things at him/them. Poor taste Portugal. Poor taste.
    This is Nickelback, Doug.

High five!

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    I agree.

But why is it we are so quick to distinguish film based on quality but have difficulty doing the same with music?
    I don't think "we" have any difficulty distinguishing quality in music, film, etc.

I think you just don't have the same taste as "we."

Which is fine, I don't have the same taste as "we" either.

And you and I are a part of "we."

If you or I were to ask other members of "we," they'll probably say they don't have the same taste as "we," you or me either.

Yet them, you and I are "we."

I hope you were wearing a helmet lest your head be wrought asunder from these mindblowing ideas!

Whee!

Senor Votto

Is she cringe worthy? Again, another incredibly gifted writer and successful artist.

I think cringe worthy, I think "The Future's So Bright, I Gotta Wear Shades."

You guys are hating on Phil Collins and Lady Gaga. Those guys aren't cringe worthy- that's talent. That's success.

I know it pains people to like pop music, but I don't make apologies for thinking Rod Stewart is better than Pavement. He is.
    I had Nikki Manji in mind but typed Lady Gaga for some reason

Don Johnson's "Heartbeat"? Or maybe that duet he did with Barbra Streisand?

Both stomach churning affairs.

Turn Off Ads?