Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Looks like Madson has declined option

Re: Looks like Madson has declined option

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus View Post
    This is absolutely meaningless as to the Reds' intentions. This might be like a Jonny Gomes situation where they feel they can decline the option and bring back the player for less money.

I don't think this gives us any indication as to whether they intend to bring Madson back.
    That's what I was thinking. It's been obvious that the option wasn't getting picked up for about eight months now. I don't know what remotely contending team is gonna hand him a guaranteed closer spot either, so I'd say there's plenty of room for negotiation here. Typical Boras posturing I think.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    How do guys like Wainwright and Carpenter come back so fast, but it's going to take Madson an entire year?
    Wainwright had surgery on February 28, 2011, came back on April 7, 2012 and wasn't really very good until July. If Madson (surgery date 4/11/2012) follows a similar timeline, he'd come back in Mid to late May and spend June, July and into August not being very good. The Reds are in uncharted waters, as far as the payroll goes, with a couple of holes that still need to be filled. They can't really afford to invest in such a questionable proposition, IMO, unless it comes at a really cheap price.

Carpenter's recent injury wasn't Tommy John. Not sure about his missed 2003 season or what the exact dates were.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

We did alright without Madson didn't we? How can a guy, who missed all of 2012 with an elbow injury that required Tommy John surgery, decline $11M for free agency? I guess if he can get more, then more power to him. But let someone else sign him if that is his intention. I think we still have the makings of a solid bullpen. Spend the money elsewhere, where it's needed, and more wisely.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    We did alright without Madson didn't we? How can a guy, who missed all of 2012 with an elbow injury that required Tommy John surgery, decline $11M for free agency? I guess if he can get more, then more power to him. But let someone else sign him if that is his intention. I think we still have the makings of a solid bullpen. Spend the money elsewhere, where it's needed, and more wisely.
    Keep in mind, the Reds were never going to pick up that option either, so it's not really Madson walking away from that kind of dough. It's really just a formality. I doubt that Madson thinks he'll get that much money, but it's clear he'd like a shot at closing. It's not a given that he would get that here; not just with Chapman's slot unknown, but with the Reds likely to also talk to Broxton more. I also wouldn't rule out that Madson could end up back here on a reduced contract to rebuild his value, especially if he likes the coaching staff, but I would bet on that either.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

Quote Originally Posted by redsmetz View Post
    Keep in mind, the Reds were never going to pick up that option either, so it's not really Madson walking away from that kind of dough. It's really just a formality. I doubt that Madson thinks he'll get that much money, but it's clear he'd like a shot at closing. It's not a given that he would get that here; not just with Chapman's slot unknown, but with the Reds likely to also talk to Broxton more. I also wouldn't rule out that Madson could end up back here on a reduced contract to rebuild his value, especially if he likes the coaching staff, but I would bet on that either.
    Exactly. If it were a player option, you could bet your bottom dollar that we would see Madson back in red in February.
    Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Thus his team was punished
    Long live punishment
    Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Cut back on booze and pizza?
    Good god man get a hold of yourself

I'd love to see Chapman given the opportunity to start. He did well in ST, though I don't know, overall, if that's where his talents would be best served (utilized). But I'd like to see.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

If that article by mlb.com is true about Jocketty trying to re-organize the roster to put Chapman in the rotation, then I think re-signing Madson has to be considered. Same with Broxton.

I'd say the circumstances that led a Boras client to give a very favorable deal to the Reds won't come around again in FA, but there's no way to know how much the injury will impact Madsen's FA market.

Turn Off Ads?