Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Which operating system do you use?

Voters
52. You may not vote on this poll
  • Windows--viva Gates!

35 67.31%
  • OS X--Jobs well done.

15 28.85%
  • Linux

1 1.92%
  • Other

1 1.92%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Windows or OS X?

Windows or OS X?

Just curious to see the distribution...
    "Don't trust any statistics you did not fake yourself."--Winston Churchill

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Windows or OS X?

i think you got the wrong forum.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

I run windows....but I hate it. Windows 95/98 was nice. Windows 2000 was horrible, and XP didnt get much better.

University of Cincinnati

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    I run windows....but I hate it. Windows 95/98 was nice. Windows 2000 was horrible, and XP didnt get much better.

Yeah, but Vista is going to be awesome....
    THE University of Cincinnati

Have you seen Vista in use?

Personally, I use windows, as a programmer and technical support for several very large systems.... BUT my choice for home and personal use is Mac and OSX

besides doesn't a techie have to love something that has a form of Unix at it's heart.
    In those things which we commit to practice we can master, and with mastery we have the freedom to use these skills whenever we desire, without this practice we are slaves to our inability.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsFan75 View Post
    Have you seen Vista in use?

Personally, I use windows, as a programmer and technical support for several very large systems.... BUT my choice for home and personal use is Mac and OSX

besides doesn't a techie have to love something that has a form of Unix at it's heart.
    Where is the love for Linux?

Basically, I'm a software *****. Whatever the customer pays for, that's what I use.

I've been running Vista as a VM instance for a while, mostly to look at the security aspects of it. Business users are going to need to be trained as to what all the allow/disallow prompts mean. MS really tried to batten down the hatches on it. With mixed results IMO.

OS X is based on the CMU Mach kernel and BSD isn't it? I think its got a little NeXTSTEP and A/UX flavor in it as well. I don't follow OS dev the way I used to.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    Where is the love for Linux?

Basically, I'm a software *****. Whatever the customer pays for, that's what I use.

I've been running Vista as a VM instance for a while, mostly to look at the security aspects of it. Business users are going to need to be trained as to what all the allow/disallow prompts mean. MS really tried to batten down the hatches on it. With mixed results IMO.

OS X is based on the CMU Mach kernel and BSD isn't it? I think its got a little NeXTSTEP and A/UX flavor in it as well. I don't follow OS dev the way I used to.
    Exactlly what I've been hearing... One of the MCSE's I work with was telling me that any type of program that needed access at a deeper level than your typical software had trouble... One of the things that he mentioned was your average PC Game. It had to run with ADMIN access levels to function properly, which really negates the lock downs. His comment.... "I'm staying as far from Vista as I can for as long as I can" He said trying to admin it in a business network would drive him crazy... What with us programmers trying to access stuff we need, and so forth.

Yes on the OSX, CMU Mach kernel and BSD sub layers with NextStep and A/UX flavors, Really has seemed to be pretty bullet proof and very flexible.

Oh... and Linux... I've got an additional Linux machine at home...
    In those things which we commit to practice we can master, and with mastery we have the freedom to use these skills whenever we desire, without this practice we are slaves to our inability.

High five!

No "both" or "neither" option?

Dos 6.22
    Go Gators!

As I'm sure many people do, I use XP at both home and work. I can honestly say that I never have software problems with my XP PC. I keep antivirus and firewall running at all times and usually run spyware/malware programs weekly. I love having the control that a firewall gives so I can deny access to any programs that don't need it. Since my harware is aging, around 3 yrs old (Celeron, 768MB RAM, old graphics card), I don't try to run recent games or anything. But for just internet, office apps, media, XP is by far the best Windows OS I've ever used. I won't upgrade to Vista until I build a new computer with up to date hardware. As for PC's that I'm not in control of, who knows what problems I'll run into. OSX is definitely better safety wise.

In the next year or so, I'm going to try and have a Vista machine as my desktop PC and a MacBook Pro as my laptop. Best of both worlds I guess.

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Apple is for hippies.

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

What, no CP/M for us older guys?

Nowadays I prefer OS X...but I miss a thing or two from Classic (like being able to automate the OS with something called "OneClick").

Windows XP isn't that bad, i have a windows machine for bookkeeping and watching MLB.tv. Quicken and Quickbooks are better on the PC, IMO.

I also have Boot Camp for my Mac while allows me to run XP on the Mac...which I rarely do.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

Switched to Mac five years ago and never looked back. OS X and Apple machines in general are light years ahead of Windows PCs. I do think XP is a decent operating system, though, if the person using it is competent.

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by beb30 View Post
    Yeah, but Vista is going to be awesome....
    Walt Mossberg says that Vista needs 2 GB of RAM to run comfortably. That's the definition of bloatware, if you ask me.
    /r/reds

ubuntu is pretty nice.

Turn Off Ads?