Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Bono the Scrooge

Re: Bono the Scrooge

I'm not at all claiming that Bono is solely responsible for debt forgiveness. I was much too blunt in my previous statement. However, I am claiming that debt forgiveness is helpful on a scale that no personal contribution could possibly match and that is a very worthwhile cause for him to champion.

As for the tax dodges, Bono is worth about 50 million. That's a lot of money to you and me, certainly, but in the world of the truly rich, he's just average, if that. Everybody who has this kind of money does similar things. Do you think Bob Castellini doesn't have a tax accountant working out ways to save him from a big tax bill? If he does, will that change your willingness to pay 20 bucks for a ticket to a game?

I work for a philanthropic management consulting firm. I'm familiar with the industry, the giving methods, and the way tax law plays in to it. We can whine and complain that a rich person is avoiding millions in taxes. However, that doesn't change the benefit of what he's trying to accomplish philanthropically. That he does both in no way changes my opinion of him. Almost everybody I know is hypocritical in the sense that they are both selfish and philanthropic. That he does both under the spotlight doesn't change my view of him.

Do you think Shaq wasn't thinking of his tax bill when he wanted to play ball in Florida? Rich people (and most people aspiring to be rich) try to limit their tax bill. Does it "excuse" the behavior? I suppose not. But let's be consistent in our condemnation.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    So if they gave to charity, avoided paying their taxes, but don't ask people to contribute to charity, you'd be okay with it; but because he moves his assets, gives to charity, and asks others to give to charity, he's a schmuck.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    Do you think Bob Castellini doesn't have a tax accountant working out ways to save him from a big tax bill?
    I don't care that he moves his assets to minimize his tax exposure.

I don't care that he campaigns for debt reliefe.

I do care that he prances around telling lots of other people to give up their millions and how they should "do more". Yet, when given a chance to "do more" for the people of Ireland by "paying his fair share" he bolted. If taking money from one group and giving it to another is the cure-all for all that ails the world, shouldn't he be able to take the same medicine that he dishes out?

Of course BCast has accountants to try to minimize his tax bill. He'd be stupid not to. Then again, he isn't on the TV trying to convince me to give more, do more, hand over more either.

Of course BCast has accountants to try to minimize his tax bill. He'd be stupid not to. Then again, he isn't on the TV trying to convince me to give more, do more, hand over more either.
    Well some of the prices on tickets went up for next season...
    2024 Reds record attending: 1-0
    2024 Dragons record attending: 0-0
    2024 Y'Alls record attending: 0-0
    "We want to be the band to dance to when the bomb drops." - Simon Le Bon of Duran Duran

Quote Originally Posted by Ltlabner View Post
    I don't care that he moves his assets to minimize his tax exposure.

I don't care that he campaigns for debt reliefe.

I do care that he prances around telling lots of other people to give up their millions and how they should "do more". Yet, when given a chance to "do more" for the people of Ireland by "paying his fair share" he bolted. If taking money from one group and giving it to another is the cure-all for all that ails the world, shouldn't he be able to take the same medicine that he dishes out?

So it's just that he's visible and asks people to pay attention to the terrible poverty in world. Okay. You don't see the hypocrisy in a guy like BCast not having to pay U.S and Ohio taxes and then giving to charity?
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

Quote Originally Posted by Ltlabner View Post
    That's the problem with most celeb do-gooder types. It's easy to give away other peoples money. I respect the ones who quietly go about giving to charities and do so without the spot light or attempted guilt trips on the general public. Those folks are the ones who should earn our respect.

But the ones who want to soak up the spotlight while doing charity work AND want you to finance there alleged good works really are just doing it for the attention.

If you harp on other people for being "too wealthy" and not sharing ala Bono, but spend a lot of your time making sure you have yours, you are the diffinition of a hypocrite IMO.

AMEN!

I'm sorry, this needs to be addressed...hopefully by the beginner of this thread if he/she is willing to step up.

1) Go to walmart.com...you can download the aforementioned songs 1 at a time.

2) Doesn't this mean Apple/iTunes is the Scrooge, not Bono.

What a ridiculous topic.

Sorry to bring this back up, but I was/am disgusted with the idea that the problem was all due to Bono.

Turn Off Ads?