Turn Off Ads?

Thread: 7-4-79...30 Years Ago Today...Daytime Fireworks @ Riverfront

7-4-79...30 Years Ago Today...Daytime Fireworks @ Riverfront

JULY 4, 1979…Reds’ pitcher Bill Bonham and Astros’ pitcher Joaquin 'Don't Call Me Jack' Andujar exchange beanball pitches causing an infuriated Ray Knight to challenge the Houston bench from his third base position. Astros’ center fielder Cesar Cedeno accepts Knight's offer and leaps over the dugout railing to slug it out with Knight at third base. Knight lands several punches before being surrounded by Cedeno’s teammates. Cedeno and Knight are ejected. Reds lose, 3-2.

--also--

JULY 4, 1934…Brooklyn Dodgers’ manager Casey Stengel goes to the mound to remove pitcher “Boom Boom” Beck from the game. Beck, not at all happy about being pulled, fires the ball to the outfield where it strikes the tin fence in right field . Dodger right fielder Hack Wilson, who isn’t paying close attention, and who is nursing another one of his major hangovers, hears the “bang” from the fence. He looks up, sees the ball rolling, runs to grab it, and fires a perfect strike to second base to nail the imaginary runner.

JULY 4, 1967…The lowly New York Mets are FINALLY able to defeat San Francisco Giants’ pitching ace Juan Marichal. Marichal had been 19-0 against the Mets since New York’s start of National League play in 1962.

JULY 4, 1989…Reds’ pitcher Tom Browning comes within three outs of having the second perfect game of his career when Philadelphia’s Dickie Thon cracks a double in the bottom of the ninth-inning. Johnny Franco eventually relieves Browning in the Reds’ 2-1 victory.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: 7-4-79...30 Years Ago Today...Daytime Fireworks @ Riverfront

Ironic that Cedeno and Knight were traded for each other at one point....
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

Quote Originally Posted by Heath View Post
    Ironic that Cedeno and Knight were traded for each other at one point....
    I always thought that, too. During the 1979 altercation, I was clearly on Knight's side. After the trade, Knight got into it with a Reds player at third base, and I was hoping he'd get decked.

Help stamp out, eliminate, and do away with redundancy.

Quote Originally Posted by macro View Post
    I always thought that, too. During the 1979 altercation, I was clearly on Knight's side. After the trade, Knight got into it with a Reds player at third base, and I was hoping he'd get decked.
    Was it Eric Davis?
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

Quote Originally Posted by LINEDRIVER View Post
    JULY 4, 1979…Reds’ pitcher Bill Bonham and Astros’ pitcher Joaquin 'Don't Call Me Jack' Andujar exchange beanball pitches causing an infuriated Ray Knight to challenge the Houston bench from his third base position. Astros’ center fielder Cesar Cedeno accepts Knight's offer and leaps over the dugout railing to slug it out with Knight at third base. Knight lands several punches before being surrounded by Cedeno’s teammates. Cedeno and Knight are ejected. Reds lose, 3-2.

I was there. It was awesome. Knight dropped Cedeno like a bad habit.
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

Quote Originally Posted by George Anderson View Post
    Was it Eric Davis?
    Yeah it was when Davis slid(apparantly too high) into Knight at 3rd base and Knight decked him.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Red View Post
    Yeah it was when Davis slid(apparantly too high) into Knight at 3rd base and Knight decked him.
    Never cared for Knight after that, even when he wore the ice cream hat as Reds manager.

Never cared for Knight after that, even when he wore the ice cream hat as Reds manager.
    At the time I was a big Harry Spillman fan (I don't know why) and I really was hoping he would take over 3B in 79' after Pete left. Knight beat Spillman out for the job and I really have never liked him since. I couldn't stand him when he was a Met and really couldn't stand him as a Manager.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

At the time I was a big Harry Spillman fan (I don't know why) and I really was hoping he would take over 3B in 79' after Pete left. Knight beat Spillman out for the job and I really have never liked him since. I couldn't stand him when he was a Met and really couldn't stand him as a Manager.
    Funny to see Harry Spilman's name here...my older brother played high school ball with his son, Ryan. He was one heck of a catcher....actually was drafted by the Indians in the 12th round in 2003 (retired a few years later).
    This will not change until the Reds win the World Series.......

April 28, 2006.

Actually didn't Rick Auerbach start the year at 3rd in '79?
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

Auerbach was indeed the starter for the first two games of the season, but Knight became the starter in game three and never relinquished it.

Auerbach was indeed the starter for the first two games of the season, but Knight became the starter in game three and never relinquished it.
    Auerbach started the first two games at 3B, then Knight started the next 59 games before Auerbach got another start. The Reds played a total of 161 games in 1979--Knight made 149 starts at 3B. (Auerbach made nine starts, and Spilman made the other three.)
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Klu View Post
    Auerbach started the first two games at 3B, then Knight started the next 59 games before Auerbach got another start. The Reds played a total of 161 games in 1979--Knight made 149 starts at 3B. (Auerbach made nine starts, and Spilman made the other three.)
    I dug out a old scrap book that I made of clippings from "The Indianapolis News" and found a clipping from Opening Day 1979. It stated that Auerbach was an 11th HR replacement for the injured Ray Knight. So Knight did beat Spillman out in ST in 79' but didn't start the first two games due to injury.

Turn Off Ads?