Turn Off Ads?
Page 60 of 83 FirstFirst ... 105056575859606162636470 ... LastLast

Thread: Official Trade Deadline Thread

Re: Official Trade Deadline Thread

Quote Originally Posted by MillerTime58 View Post
    Fire Walt!
    If no one left it out too long, the oatmeal raisin could still have some quality chewiness. I'm not worried too much, this one is on Walt's desk.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    I don't want to grow up Red Raindog's Avatar

My $.02 -- I don't see anything major being done by the Reds

Not going to upgrade C, 1B, 2B, RF or CF.

No reasonable options to upgrade SS or 3B + I assume the FO will give Cozart & Frazier a little more time rot or get better

That leaves LF where the die was cast that Ludwick will be the upgrade when he returns

No reason -- IMO - to look at starting pitching -- which leaves the bullpen -- any changes there would be on the fringes ---

Now bench spots can and probably should be addressed --- but those would also be on the fringe type deals
    The older I get - the better I was

and yes - I hate the Cardinals (Reds fan since 1958)

I miss Raisor

4. Likes:

krm1580 (07-30-2013),mdccclxix (07-30-2013),RiverRat13 (07-30-2013)

Brian Wilson to Dodgers on minor league deal.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/

Dodgers Sign Brian Wilson
    By Tim Dierkes [July 30 at 1:26pm CST]
    The Dodgers signed free agent reliever Brian Wilson to a minor league deal, tweets Yahoo's Tim Brown. The Beard had a long road to recovery from April 2012 Tommy John surgery. He spent his entire career in the Giants organization, racking up 171 saves in the process. The Giants non-tendered him after last season, and the fully-recovered Wilson auditioned for many teams Thursday. Wilson had three offers, notes Brown. The 31-year-old reliever is represented by MVP Sports Group.

I just realized all of these rumors that came out in the last hour coincided with the 2pm trade deadline special on mlb network.

Yes, the last four games the Offense has stunk.

But, when haven't they stunk when they visit Los Angeles/San Diego?

The pressing needs expressed here are to replace the Bench with better players. I'm not disagreeing, but the available "parts" are not guaranteed to produce results over a short period of time, especially when there's a change of venue.

If nothing happens, the REDS will be looking for Hannahan, Robinson, Paul, Heisey, Hanigan, and Izturis to just be "decent" over these last 60+ days. All of the players have the potential for being "decent", as defined as "league average OPS", which currently sits at .706 (.702 the last 28 days).

Break that down further and the league average for a "Sub" this season sits at .599. Yes. The REDS' bench is not much worse than the average bench. But, average doesn't win a World Series, which is what the REDS are trying to do.

When you see that the average bench has an OPS of .599, then .706 sounds pretty darn good.

If our bench OPS'd .706 for the rest of the season, then that would be a pretty good bench.

Here's how our bench players (not separated from the players' starts) has done for the last 28 days (top) and 14 (bottom) days:

Robinson

28 Days..(.763 OPS)
    14 Days..(.926 OPS)

Heisey

28 Days..(.913 OPS)
    14 Days..(.712 OPS)

Hanigan

28 Days..(.556 OPS)
    14 Days..(no games)

Izturis

28 Days..(.475 OPS)
    14 Days..(.310 OPS) Can I get me a SS?

Hannahan

28 Days..(.909 OPS)
    14 Days..(.542 OPS)

Paul

28 Days..(.751 OPS)
    14 Days..(1.067 OPS)

Izturis has had 113 Plate Appearances hitting at a .481 OPS clip. That's 113 Plate Appearances too many.

There's no such thing as not being able to find a better player than Izturis.

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Toronto is in the hole. I would see if they'd take Hamilton+others for Bautista or the return of Edwin.

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    Toronto is in the hole. I would see if they'd take Hamilton+others for Bautista or the return of Edwin.
    Where are you playing Edwin?
    "In our sundown perambulations of late, through the outer parts of Brooklyn, we have observed several parties of youngsters playing 'base', a certain game of ball. Let us go forth awhile, and get better air in our lungs. Let us leave our close rooms, the game of ball is glorious"
    -Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by Reds Freak View Post
    1st base and move Votto to LF

12. Likes:

Red Raindog (07-30-2013)

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Reds Freak View Post
    In left. I think he has enough speed to handle it. Sure, there's not much known about the kind of routes he'd take and such, but I think he'd be acceptable enough given his bat.

Just A Couple Johnny's OneManBand's Avatar

Cardinals make a move:

The Cardinals and Indians have agreed on a trade that will send left-hander Marc Rzepczynski to Cleveland, according to Derrick Goold of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch (on Twitter). Jordan Bastian of MLB.com tweets that the Cardinals will receive a low-level minor leaguer in exchange.
    MLBTradeRumors.com

Quote Originally Posted by OneManBand View Post
    Cardinals make a move:

Quote:
    The Cardinals and Indians have agreed on a trade that will send left-hander Marc Rzepczynski to Cleveland, according to Derrick Goold of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch (on Twitter). Jordan Bastian of MLB.com tweets that the Cardinals will receive a low-level minor leaguer in exchange.

MLBTradeRumors.com
    The Indians seamstress just fainted.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

16. Likes:

Brutus (07-30-2013),Caveat Emperor (07-30-2013),dubc47834 (07-30-2013),Gunner44 (07-30-2013),Mitri (07-30-2013),OGB (07-30-2013),OneManBand (07-30-2013),RichRed (07-30-2013),Tom Servo (07-30-2013),westofyou (07-30-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    In left. I think he has enough speed to handle it. Sure, there's not much known about the kind of routes he'd take and such, but I think he'd be acceptable enough given his bat.
    The man can't play LF, he has 17 innings in LF... the Reds will not play a 1b in LF and a RF in CF. The thought makes my head hurt.

You want a LF from Toronto, they're shopping Melky.

But let's face it, Ludwick is the guy who gets first crack, any other guy will be a tweener, not a guy who has 29 HRs and DH's and plays 1st in 90% of his games

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    The man can't play LF, he has 17 innings in LF... the Reds will not play a 1b in LF and a RF in CF. The thought makes my head hurt.

You want a LF from Toronto, they're shopping Melky.

But let's face it, Ludwick is the guy who gets first crack, any other guy will be a tweener, not a guy who has 29 HRs and DH's and plays 1st in 90% of his games
    Historically this is correct.

But history is also littered with guys that played out of position and helped their teams win. Is this a move that can do that?

Maybe.

It's a better idea than trading for Michael Young.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    Historically this is correct.

But history is also littered with guys that played out of position and helped their teams win. Is this a move that can do that?

Maybe.

It's a better idea than trading for Michael Young.
    Let's start a list

1. Shin Soo Choo

You go next 5

Turn Off Ads?