Thread: Tigers Sign Torii Hunter

Tigers Sign Torii Hunter

2 years, $26MM. Too rich for Red blood.
    Go BLUE!!!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Tigers Sign Torii Hunter

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    2 years, $26MM. Too rich for Red blood.
    Yep. Hunter did the smart thing and got his money early, before teams spent it elsewhere. Then again, Hunter's always struck me as a fairly smart guy.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Hunter would have been an awesome fit for the Reds. But he could basically write his own ticket. I think he's made a nice choice. Tigers looking real good -- that division may be colonized for awhile.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    Hunter would have been an awesome fit for the Reds. But he could basically write his own ticket. I think he's made a nice choice. Tigers looking real good -- that division may be colonized for awhile.
    .389 BABIP in 2012 versus a career .307 BABIP. Power down, walks down, strikeouts up in 2012. Huge correction is on the way. I wouldn't have given him anything near that kind of money.

.389 BABIP in 2012 versus a career .307 BABIP. Power down, walks down, strikeouts up in 2012. Huge correction is on the way. I wouldn't have given him anything near that kind of money.
    A lot of teams were interested. What Hunter brings goes well beyond a couple of hitting stats and beyond what is sure to be a bit of a natural downturn. If you confine your evaluation to BABIP, you'll have a hard time building much of a team.

It's only a 2 year commitment, so if he flames out it's not like they are stuck with him.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

A lot of teams were interested. What Hunter brings goes well beyond a couple of hitting stats and beyond what is sure to be a bit of a natural downturn. If you confine your evaluation to BABIP, you'll have a hard time building much of a team.
    My point was, Hunter got paid like a player expected to repeat what he did in 2012 and well, the odds are considerably against him repeating what he did in 2012. If some team wants to pay him based on a fluke season, I will just be glad it wasn't the Reds.

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    My point was, Hunter got paid like a player expected to repeat what he did in 2012 and well, the odds are considerably against him repeating what he did in 2012. If some team wants to pay him based on a fluke season, I will just be glad it wasn't the Reds.
    I agree, but they may sign Victorino on the premise that his 2012 season WAS a fluke. Gotta believe in something, I guess.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

Post-35 ballplayers often cough up "still got it" seasons. I like Hunter but not at that price.

My point was, Hunter got paid like a player expected to repeat what he did in 2012 and well, the odds are considerably against him repeating what he did in 2012.
    It's called free agency for players with a hot market. This comes completely as expected.

And, Hunter is getting paid for more than his batting average. Even if his numbers are down, a lot of what he has brought to teams in the past he will bring to the Tigers in 2013. I'm sure they feel sure of that.

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

When a player of Hunter's age gets an increase in K's, a decrease in W's, his ISO goes down for a 3rd consecutive year, and his BABIP is suddenly up 80 points over his career, the initial poster's not cherry picking a meaningless stat.

Hunter will regress next year, the question is how much. He's likely going to have trouble topping a .750 OPS.

When a player of Hunter's age gets an increase in K's, a decrease in W's, his ISO goes down for a 3rd consecutive year, and his BABIP is suddenly up 80 points over his career, the initial poster's not cherry picking a meaningless stat.

Hunter will regress next year, the question is how much. He's likely going to have trouble topping a .750 OPS.
    My guess is that the Tigers will be happy with Torii Hunter.

My guess is that the Tigers will be happy with Torii Hunter.
    Maybe they will be. Doesn't mean they won't have overpaid him drastically for the services rendered.

Doesn't mean they won't have overpaid him drastically for the services rendered.
    As noted, that's the free agent market.

Maybe they will be. Doesn't mean they won't have overpaid him drastically for the services rendered.
    Well, they have a window. They overpaid but didn't over extend. Two-year contracts are never back-breakers.

Turn Off Ads?