Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Ludwick out until at least mid-August

Ludwick out until at least mid-August

I know there were some hopeful of a return by Ryan around the All Star break. Looks like that isn't going to happen.

http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs...T04/305250131/

My guess is he doesn't play this year, but we'll see. Paul has been good out there, but left field is certainly a position I could see Walt improving.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Senor Votto

Re: Ludwick out until at least mid-August

My biggest worry is that Baker moves Phillips out of the clean up spot when Ludwick comes back. I think Robinson and company are doing a fine job in LF anyway

I never counted on him coming back or even being much help if he did.
    Like Yankee fans who are frothing at the mouth when Jeter and Alex come back and how much better they will be ..... I mean these are tough injuries which sap your ability to hit and or field very well. They are not wind up toys who just put up the same numbers after an injury... especially the ones they are dealing with. Kemp is a good example. His shoulder injury has sapped his power and he is trying to rebuild his strength while trying to play and hit.

This whole Ludwick thing has stunk from the beginning. Overall, Walt is great. But sometimes his love for certain guys can cloud the big picture. I am not nor have I ever been a fan of Ryan. To me he is the epitome of what is wrong with baseball. Makes too much money for what he is.

Now the Reds are strapped with him this year and next. He will add nothing to the team this year. All based on an inability to slide from a veteran player? Yes things happen. But when you are a small market club you have to reduce as many "things" as possible to be able to compete with the big boys.

If we are going to make it to the next round of the playoffs, we need a #2 hitter/LF'er. BP deserves to stay in the 4 hole. Stats show it his best place in the lineup. And he delivers.

So let's hope Walt can correct his "mistake" of signing RL for two years and find a guy who can fill this glaring whole when playoff time comes around.

Quote Originally Posted by Red in Atl View Post
    This whole Ludwick thing has stunk from the beginning. Overall, Walt is great. But sometimes his love for certain guys can cloud the big picture. I am not nor have I ever been a fan of Ryan. To me he is the epitome of what is wrong with baseball. Makes too much money for what he is.

Now the Reds are strapped with him this year and next. He will add nothing to the team this year. All based on an inability to slide from a veteran player? Yes things happen. But when you are a small market club you have to reduce as many "things" as possible to be able to compete with the big boys.

If we are going to make it to the next round of the playoffs, we need a #2 hitter/LF'er. BP deserves to stay in the 4 hole. Stats show it his best place in the lineup. And he delivers.

So let's hope Walt can correct his "mistake" of signing RL for two years and find a guy who can fill this glaring whole when playoff time comes around.
    I guess Walt was a bozo for signing Votto to his big lt contract since he wrenched his knee sliding. Getting injured playing the game has nothing to do with experience.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Winning the Human Race TheBigLebowski's Avatar

Wha??? Ludwick is what's wrong with baseball? This is one of the craziest posts I have ever read. I don't even know how to respond.
    “The crows seem to be calling my name,” thought Caw.

8. Likes:

Redeyecat (05-27-2013),RedlegJake (05-26-2013),Tom Servo (05-26-2013)

We need a real LF option for the stretch run. I don't think Xavier Paul can carry this team to glory, and I think we now know that we can't count on Ludwick.

I hope Billy Hamilton could be ready by the end of the Summer, but I'd plan otherwise. I think Alex Rios will be moved by the deadline. If I'm Walt, I'm asking the White Sox to scout our system.
    Go BLUE!!!

i honestly don't think Ludwick will be back this season.

I think the odds of Ludwick being back this season are slim. It's still possible, but I don't know. And even though I agree that Paul isn't a solution (at least long-term), Heisey isn't either. Every time I read about him making progress rehabbing, I'm reminded how much he stinks.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBigLebowski View Post
    Wha??? Ludwick is what's wrong with baseball? This is one of the craziest posts I have ever read. I don't even know how to respond.
    Then don't.

I was speaking of the Ludwick contract. He's had one half of a good season in the last 5 or 6 years. And because of that, we can't just pick up the option. We have to resign him to a larger contract. Now half of that contract is wasted. And he will likely bring little value to the rest of it. Small market teams need to utilize every dollar.
    Last edited by Red in Atl; 05-26-2013 at 02:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    I guess Walt was a bozo for signing Votto to his big lt contract since he wrenched his knee sliding. Getting injured playing the game has nothing to do with experience.
    You must not have watched the replay of his slide. If you can't do it, don't slide headfirst.

And why bring up the Votto signing? Has nothing to do with that.

My point was that Walt really wanted to sign RL, so he did even though it cost us $10 million for two years. I don't think it was money well spent.

Explain to me how it was? About as good as the Madson signing. Personally I'd just stay away from Ryan's altogether.

Yes it's bad luck, guys get hurt, etc. All I'm saying is once again a small market team must spend wisely. Signing overvalued players because they have been in the league and had some success is a risk. Walt should have let RL go and found another solution. Now he will have to.
    Last edited by Red in Atl; 05-26-2013 at 02:16 PM.

I think he's back at the end of August so he can be on the post-season roster, even if he's not 100%.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

You must not have watched the replay of his slide. If you can't do it, don't slide headfirst.

And why bring up the Votto signing? Has nothing to do with that.

My point was that Walt really wanted to sign RL, so he did even though it cost us $10 million for two years. I don't think it was money well spent.

Explain to me how it was?
    $10M is nothing on the free agent market. Absolutely nothing. Ryan Ludwick was coming off of a season where he had an OPS over .875. On a production basis, Ludwick was underpaid for the contract he signed.

16. Likes:

Krawhitham (05-26-2013),Redeyecat (05-27-2013),RedlegJake (05-26-2013),RedsfaninMT (05-26-2013),TheBigLebowski (05-27-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    We need a real LF option for the stretch run. I don't think Xavier Paul can carry this team to glory, and I think we now know that we can't count on Ludwick.

I hope Billy Hamilton could be ready by the end of the Summer, but I'd plan otherwise. I think Alex Rios will be moved by the deadline. If I'm Walt, I'm asking the White Sox to scout our system.
    1. Xavier Paul won't need to carry anyone anywhere. Votto, Choo, Bruce and Phillips are the main guys to carry the load. This player is going to be a role player.

2. The Reds don't have the depth to get a big fish without creating bigger problems elsewhere.

3. No trading Leake, Cingrani, Cueto, Latos, Bailey, Arroyo, Chapman, Broxton, Marshall, Hoover or Lecure unless they get a pitcher back in the deal (and not an interchangable part in the Ondrusek, Parra mold).

Corcino is probably the most valuable guy I'd deal and he's having a bad year. Beyond him its guys like Soto, Lamarre, Heisey, H-Rod etc.

If they could deal Corcino/Heisey for an upgrade from what Heisey brings to the table, I'd be open to that. Not sure who that would be. Probably needs to be a RH bat with some pop.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

18. Likes:

wheels (05-27-2013)

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar
    Then don't.

I was speaking of the Ludwick contract. He's had one half of a good season in the last 5 or 6 years. And because of that, we can't just pick up the option. We have to resign him to a larger contract. Now half of that contract is wasted. And he will likely bring little value to the rest of it. Small market teams need to utilize every dollar.
    "Pick up the option"? What option?

Ryan Ludwick was the best solution, dollars included, available for this team. The other option was to turn to what they're doing in LF now.

20. Likes:

Redeyecat (05-27-2013)

Turn Off Ads?