Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: National Radio Rant

Formerly Farsighted Fan sabometrics's Avatar

Re: National Radio Rant

As an aside, I grew up a huge UK basketball fan. Deep down, I still am, but oddly, since the Calipari era started I have grown to care less and less about the Cats. Post-Pitino they struggled to really stay in the national spotlight until Cal cam along. Now, they get more air time than probably the next 5 college basketball programs in the nation and I've just grown more detached from the program.

Why? Because its 8 or 9 new faces every year. It isn't a team that is invested in the Kentucky brand like the teams under Pitino, Smith, and dare I say Gillespie. They come and soak in the spotlight and are gone before I even get to really know them. I'm not bashing Cal and the great things he's done, this is just what the NBA draft rules have done to college basketball and in my opinion its unfortunate.

Point being, in that case the hunt to gain national adoration meant losing a lot about what made the program great (to me).

The coolest thing this team has is that it we've seen it gel over the last 5 or 6 years, we've seen them grow, and a number of these guys will be here for more years to come (surprisingly thanks to Castellini). Do they deserve all the credit in the world for how far they've come and how good they are? Hell yes. But the coolest thing for me is the guys like Votto who are quietly awesome. I for one love the overall modest nature of this club, and the example they set for the fans. We don't have to go yelling in the streets about how good the Reds are. If someone asks, we tell them, otherwise we just soak it in.
    "He looked like a surfer kid from SoCal," manager Dusty Baker says. "He didn't say much, but you could tell he was cool."

2. Turn Off Ads?

Colin Cowherd's tweet today:

@ESPN_Colin: Reds/Giants PLAYOFF game got a 0.9 rating. Um, yea, that explains why I talk Yankees. Be interesting--that's on you.

Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Reds/Flyers Fan View Post

@ESPN_Colin: Reds/Giants PLAYOFF game got a 0.9 rating. Um, yea, that explains why I talk Yankees. Be interesting--that's on you.
    You think the late time slot had anything to do with that? Keep giving the Yankees prime time games and see how the ratings compare.
    The contents of this post may be disseminated without the express written consent of the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball.

https://www.amazon.com/Charles-DeMaris/e/B07BD4JBQB

Quote Originally Posted by OldRightHander View Post
    You think the late time slot had anything to do with that? Keep giving the Yankees prime time games and see how the ratings compare.
    Late time slot combined with the uncompetitive score, I'd guess. Not to mention the Yankees/O's rain-delay game on TBS at the same time siphoned off most of the East Coast audience.

I think this is one of the underlying pieces of our successful puzzle this year, and possibly for years to come with this Reds team. I'd like to think of this Reds team as an MLB "Seal Team 6" of sorts... While the rest of these teams our getting their glory with all of the media pizzazz, our Reds are quietly landing on the shores of each opponent, quietly sneaking up behind them, slitting their throats, and leaving them dead.

Quote Originally Posted by dman View Post
    I think this is one of the underlying pieces of our successful puzzle this year, and possibly for years to come with this Reds team. I'd like to think of this Reds team as an MLB "Seal Team 6" of sorts... While the rest of these teams our getting their glory with all of the media pizzazz, our Reds are quietly landing on the shores of each opponent, quietly sneaking up behind them, slitting their throats, and leaving them dead.
    Good analogy. And all the other postseason teams do have their cheesy E-SPiN media pizzazz:

Yankees - They're the Yankees
    Orioles - Part of East Coast Bos-Was corridor, Cinderella story, Yankee opponents
    A's - Little engine that could team, stormed back to win division
    Tigers - Triple crown winner
    Nats - Baseball in DC angle, Bryce Harper, Strasburg drama
    Giants - 2010 champs, mega-market team
    _ards - Defending champs

Don't get me started on the ESPNization of sports. I cannot stand how football and basketball get the main coverage. Last year, arguably some of the best playoff games you will see happened in the NHL yet on ESPN, it's the sport that shall not be mentioned. World wide soccer gets more coverage than the NHL does on that network. It's like the sport doesn't even exist. Annoying.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

I am sure it will be about the same this time too.... San Francisco fans will be working while the game is going on.

Colin Cowherd is a tool and should be ignored on general principles.
    If evolution is outlawed, only outlaws will evolve!

Quote Originally Posted by Tadasimha View Post
    Colin Cowherd is a tool and should be ignored on general principles.
    Agree 110%. And even if they talked about the Reds it would be about Joey's lack of power, Dusty's medical history and how Bronson Arroyo came from Mars for one night and pitched the greatest game of his life. These so called "expert analyst'" know hardly anything about the Reds or any team other than the Yankees or who the Yankees are playing. I used to watch alot of ESPN but I seriously havent switched to that channel in over 6 months. Its all MLB Network, the NFL Network or the Golf Channel for me. I hate the Cards but geez they are the defending champs and hardly get any pub. Ive said before that I hope this Reds team uses this as motivation and sneaks up for 10 more wins. I hope to God that ESPN never gets the rights to brodcast the World Series. Id rather listen to Joe Buck and Tim McCarver.
    "Losing feels worse than winning feels good." -Vin Scully

Quote Originally Posted by MikeThierry View Post
    Don't get me started on the ESPNization of sports. I cannot stand how football and basketball get the main coverage. Last year, arguably some of the best playoff games you will see happened in the NHL yet on ESPN, it's the sport that shall not be mentioned. World wide soccer gets more coverage than the NHL does on that network. It's like the sport doesn't even exist. Annoying.
    Yep. For a while ESPN was all there was, and they used to have ok hockey coverage, but now with all the options out there, not to mention most every major sport having its own network, there really is no need to even turn on ESPN anymore unless they're broadcasting a game of interest.
    The contents of this post may be disseminated without the express written consent of the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball.

Quote Originally Posted by DGullett35 View Post
    Agree 110%. And even if they talked about the Reds it would be about Joey's lack of power, Dusty's medical history and how Bronson Arroyo came from Mars for one night and pitched the greatest game of his life. These so called "expert analyst'" know hardly anything about the Reds or any team other than the Yankees or who the Yankees are playing. I used to watch alot of ESPN but I seriously havent switched to that channel in over 6 months. Its all MLB Network, the NFL Network or the Golf Channel for me. I hate the Cards but geez they are the defending champs and hardly get any pub. Ive said before that I hope this Reds team uses this as motivation and sneaks up for 10 more wins. I hope to God that ESPN never gets the rights to brodcast the World Series. Id rather listen to Joe Buck and Tim McCarver.
    Colin is quite the frontrunner. Yesterday he was railing on the city of Kansas City basically saying that the reason they cheered Cassel's injury was because they live in a cow town in flyover country. A much more sophisticated city like NY never would have done that because they're not all about football. They have Broadway, shopping etc so football isn't everything to them. I got news for Colin. Don't think it can't happen anywhere. It could happen in NY. If Sanchez puts up numbers like Cassel they very well might cheer when he goes down.

Quote Originally Posted by OldRightHander View Post
    Yep. For a while ESPN was all there was, and they used to have ok hockey coverage, but now with all the options out there, not to mention most every major sport having its own network, there really is no need to even turn on ESPN anymore unless they're broadcasting a game of interest.
    Exactly right. MLB Network for baseball stuff. NFL Network for football stuff. I don't really watch much else as far as sports goes except for actual games. I'll probably watch CBS around NCAA tourney time for bracket analysis. Ten years ago, ESPN was a must have, now, other than a few games of interest, I could do without the entire group of ESPN networks completely.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

That right there sums up one of the reasons why Colin Cowherd, not to mention most sport talk show hosts lose me. First off, I get the point, there's even some validity to it. However, it exposes a major flaw in Colin's idea of how his talk show works. Colin is basically saying that b/c the ratings were lower than elsewhere, there is nothing worth talking about, nothing worth presenting to his audience that might enlighten them just a shade more than they were before they flipped the dial.

Look, Reds fan or not, there was plenty of interesting things that happened over the weekend prior to Colin's show. They're starter and a guy that has been in the cy young conversation most of the 2nd half of the season and will likely end up top 5 for the Cy Young goes out after 8 pitches. Starting Cueto game 1 was the easy managerial decision, how you react to his back acting up after 1 batter was the difficult part, the interesting part.

There was a team that had all but clinched its division a month ago, that saw its offense go dormant for the final month wake up and put an explosion of offense on the board Sunday evening in a place considered one of the better pitcher parks in the league.

There is a team that most of the ESPN "experts" picked to win the series down 0-2 and having to win 3 straight on the road. There is the question if they bring Cain back for game 4, and what they would do in game 5 if they make it that far.

The games might have drawn low ratings nationally, but don't pretend that there was nothing intresting to take away from the first 2, not what is about to transpire over the remaining series.

I'm guessing Dancing w/ the Stars draws better ratings than Breaking Bad, that doesn't mean Breaking Bad is "uninteresting" or not worthy of discussion. I didn't hear his show yesterday, but I'm guessing he talked about the same things Mike & Mike and most other radio shows discussed. Rather than bring up something new, something different, something interesting, he washed, rinsed and repeated the same show done before him.

Anyhoo, its all part of Colin's schtick. Bash LeBron when he's in Cleveland b/c Cleveland fans are passionate and will flood him w/ calls defending their man, praise him when he gets to Miami b/c Miami doesn't have the passionate fans like Cleveland, and he's now the "villian" so they'll call in b/c you're praising him. Bash Ohio State to get calls from their passionate fan base, praise USC and overlook they're annual loss to a team they have no business lossing to b/c he knows nobody is going to call in and "react" to his USC bashing.

Fans in big markets on the coast don't stoop so low as to actually cheer an injury, even an opponent's starting pitcher. I'm sure we would never see something so shocking.

Turn Off Ads?