Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Pete Roses cheap shot torwards West Virginia!

Re: Pete Roses cheap shot torwards West Virginia!

Pete ought to realize that those people that he just made fun of were some of the best fans that he had during his run in Cincinnati. How many youngsters did I grow up with that mimicked that crouched stance, headfirst slide, and all out hustle? Countless.

Like RedsBaron, I too am very sensitive about the West Virginia references that a lot of people make without giving it a second thought. As I have gotten older, it has bothered me more and more. In this PC society that we live in, it just bites me even more that the WV references just keep on coming. If there is one thing that I have learned, it is this. The people that talk the most usually have the least to say.

2. Turn Off Ads?

It's not just WV and KY. When I went to college in Illinois, all the jokes were about Wisconsin and Iowa.

It's a regional thing.

What's the difference between a girl from Iowa and the garbage?

At least the garbage gets taken out once a week.
    Will trade this space for a #1 starter.

Quote Originally Posted by creek14 View Post
    It's not just WV and KY. When I went to college in Illinois, all the jokes were about Wisconsin and Iowa.

It's a regional thing.

What's the difference between a girl from Iowa and the garbage?

At least the garbage gets taken out once a week.
    Alabama vs Georgia, Washington vs Oregon, east side of Cincinnati vs the West Side, Sharks and Jets... it's everywhere!!

I drive around with a West Virginia sticker proudly displayed on my bumper. It ticks me off when people make WV jokes, but any more I just let it roll off.

Guys I know what you mean I to am very senstitive about the WV jokes.Like alot of you guys I have had to go threw my whole life listening to people in public or on tv put down the great state of WV and our people.Like another poster said the older he gets the more angered these comments make me b/c enough is enough already.It needs to stop but I don't look for it to.
    I can spell,I just can't type!!

Here's a classic that still happens from time to time.

"Where are you from?"

"West Virginia."

"I had a friend who lived in Virginia once"

There are still people who don't know West Virginia is a state, and that tells you a whole lot about the particular person.

Goodness.

You'd think it was the end of the world.

Really, should you find yourself overly concerned or irritated by such jokes, ask yourself why it irritates you. Do you feel that the jokester is ridiculing you personally? And if so, why do you value the opinion of someone who would find a joke like that amusing?

Seriously; who cares? Let them make their jokes. They don't define you so much as they define the person making them. If you feel they do define you, you should take a long step back and ask yourself why you let others decide who you are.

I, too, was born and raised in WV, and have heard the same jokes you have. However, I also know who I am, and the WV jokery affects me not in the slightest.

Of course, I also despise Pete Rose, and anything he says that knocks him down a few notches in the opinion of his fanbase is thumbs-up with me.
    "It's easier to give up. I'm not a very vocal player. I lead by example. I take the attitude that I've got to go out and do it. Because of who I am, I've got to give everything I've got to come back."
    -Ken Griffey Jr.

I'm sure Greg Rhodes was cringing when he heard that remark. Perhaps some folks who came into town from WV who were going to go see the exhibit in the HOF are now going to bypass it because of a thoughtless remark.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by zombie-a-go-go View Post
    Goodness.

You'd think it was the end of the world.

Really, should you find yourself overly concerned or irritated by such jokes, ask yourself why it irritates you. Do you feel that the jokester is ridiculing you personally? And if so, why do you value the opinion of someone who would find a joke like that amusing?

Seriously; who cares? Let them make their jokes. They don't define you so much as they define the person making them. If you feel they do define you, you should take a long step back and ask yourself why you let others decide who you are.

I, too, was born and raised in WV, and have heard the same jokes you have. However, I also know who I am, and the WV jokery affects me not in the slightest.

Of course, I also despise Pete Rose, and anything he says that knocks him down a few notches in the opinion of his fanbase is thumbs-up with me.
    I agree, its utterly amazing how thin skinned people are today.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    I'm sure Greg Rhodes was cringing when he heard that remark. Perhaps some folks who came into town from WV who were going to go see the exhibit in the HOF are now going to bypass it because of a thoughtless remark.

Please, Chip; we all know West Virginians don't have televisions, or even electricity!
    "It's easier to give up. I'm not a very vocal player. I lead by example. I take the attitude that I've got to go out and do it. Because of who I am, I've got to give everything I've got to come back."
    -Ken Griffey Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Psst... it really doesn't rain in Oregon all the time... we just say that to keep people away.

I don't think it will work forever.

I know that it was a brief, somewhat enigmatic comment that likely wasn't even noticed by most. And I know that people can be too thin-skinned.

However....

There is a difference in being made fun of by the people on the other side of town or in the next state and being a national joke. And too often, we are a national joke. The result is that we are often viewed a certain way when people find out where we are from. In a recent job I experienced this often, particularly from residents of states that were far away and who had likely never met a West Virginian. Assumptions are made; programmed reactions set in.

This can get very, very old.

When I was in high school (in the seventies), there were still researchers who believed that people from the Appalachians were genetically inferior. Seriously. Our history textbooks featured pictures of poor West Virginians who could possibly be helped by LBJ's "Great Society" programs (again, this was the seventies, proving we needed new textbooks ), and until very recently, any report on the national news from West Virginia was certain to feature the most stereotypical person available.

In the eighties, I worked for a local newspaper. One of the newswriters was from a large city on the east coast. He regularly referred to West Virginians in general as illiterates and fought to have pictures of people riding mules and the like on the front page of the paper every given opportunity. This was typical of West Virginia, he said. I still remember a profile he wrote of a school's valedictorian in which he told me that he thought it was important that people get a picture of her as someone who lives "a mile up a hollow". And no, he wasn't talking about her overcoming adversity; he was talking about the way she was portrayed in the story.

I try not to be too sensitive, but I also can't pretend this isn't a problem. The poverty here is real. Our education system is in need of repair. But when we are constantly portrayed as not having the capability of being better than we are, this grates. It grates bad.

This also affects our view of ourselves in insidious ways. One of the things that holds us back the most is that we become hopeless and feel that we have no say in our destiny. We are poor hillbillies, and we should be satisfied with our station in life.

And so we become satisfied, and the cycle continues.

Sorry for the rant.

(btw, I tried not to mention specific states or cities because none of this was directed at anyone here. In spite of my ranting, I'm not particularly upset or offended at the moment. I really just shrugged off Pete's comment; he's like the crazy uncle you kind of overlook. This is just a natural flow.)
    Last edited by tixe; 03-29-2007 at 12:27 PM.

In the part of town Pete grew up in, there is a pretty significant Appalachian population and speaking from my own memory, there is a lot of negativity towards the people who came to Cincinnati from WVa, KY, Tenn. It doesn't excuse it, but it just seems par for the course to me for Pete, who isn't the sharpest tack in the box by any stretch. We'd be reaching pretty far if we expected any cultural sensitivity from him.
    Last edited by SunDeck; 03-30-2007 at 07:07 AM.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

I can see how Mountaineers can get a little testy about jokes made at their expense. Cleveland has also been the butt of jokes for many years. Ironically, I think the source of a lot of those jokes are people who were once Clevelanders themselves. Some of the most anti-Cleveland people are people who moved away. Once they move away, they start joking around about what it's like to live Cleveland. Then of course others pick up on that and start thinking it's funny to joke about Cleveland. A Bob Hope makes cracks about Cleveland and suddenly everyone who thinks they're funny jokes about Cleveland. A Drew Carey jokes about Cleveland and again, everyone things it's funny to poke fun at Cleveland.

That being said, I think the best thing is to either politely laugh or ignore it. One day, all those outdoorsy yuppie types will realize that WV is a natural playground and will suddenly want to build resorts there. Having driven through the state many times myself, WV is a lot like Vermont, only less expensive.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Some people need to lighten up...

Turn Off Ads?