3. 1B Joey Votto
    4. 2B Brandon Phillips
    5. 3B Scott Rolen
    6. RF Jay Bruce
    7. SS Reid Brignac
    8. C Ryan Hanigan

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: What to do in the Offseason?

In a nutshell? Improve RS without harming the RA too much if at all, ideally improve both but that would probably cost us too much considering the financial situation the club seems to find itself in.

Fix the glaring black hole that is the OBP% of the #1 and 2 holes. Adding a SS who can help in this way is paramount. Y. Escobar, M. Izturis, J. Reyes, S. Drew, C. Barmes, Hardy, Tejada, Crosby in that order is my preference I think. A Dickerson/Stubbs platoon should probably get 1st crack at CF, followed closely by a Dickerson/Heisey platoon should the former not work out. Not sure about what to do with LF, Gomes/Francisco seems to be the way the organization is leaning but IMO that would be a mistake. I'd go with Nix/Gomes in a worst case scenario 1st. Starting pitcher would be nice but not likely very doable. Re-sign Ramon Hernandez after turning down his option. If not him then maybe Josh Bard.

Unfortunately I don't see much signing going on this offseason . It's already been stated there are money issues.

I like the idea of resigning Hernandez - I think Hanigan needs a little bit more time before he's a full-time starter. Ramon improved down the stretch so I think he'll be decent next year.

I don't see them doing much about starters - Volquez will come back eventually, and Castellini probably doesn't want to shell out a bunch of money. My early guess is that Owings will be the 5th starter. That leaves Cueto, Harang, Bailey, and Arroyo. My guess is if Volquez comes back before anyone else gets injured that he'll take over Owings' spot.

Obviously I'd like to see Taveras gone. My life would be 10% happier .

I say Paul Janish, Mike Lincoln, Willy Taveras, Travis Woods and Aaron Harang for Russel Martin and Juan Pierre

Sam Lecure and Chris Valaika for JJ Hardy

Sign Brandon Webb
    Lineup
    CF Stubbs/Pierre
    LF Heisey/Dickerson
    1B Joey Votto
    C Russel Martin
    3B Scott Rolen
    RF Jay Bruce
    2B Brandon Phillips
    SS JJ Hardy
    P

SP Rotation
    Bailey
    Webb
    Arroyo
    Cueto
    Maloney,Lehr, Volquez(when he comes back)

Quote Originally Posted by vottofan4life View Post
    I say Paul Janish, Mike Lincoln, Willy Taveras, Travis Woods and Aaron Harang for Russel Martin and Juan Pierre

Sign Brandon Webb
    Lineup
    CF Stubbs/Pierre
    LF Heisey/Dickerson
    1B Joey Votto
    C Russel Martin
    3B Scott Rolen
    RF Jay Bruce
    2B Brandon Phillips
    SS JJ Hardy
    P

SP Rotation
    Bailey
    Webb
    Arroyo
    Cueto
    I would rather bat Phillips 4th than Russel Martin, Martin hits into a ton of DP , and i also believe Arizona is going to Re-Sign Webb so he wont be available

Sign Brandon Webb
    Lineup
    CF Stubbs/Pierre
    LF Heisey/Dickerson
    1B Joey Votto
    C Russel Martin
    3B Scott Rolen
    RF Jay Bruce
    2B Brandon Phillips
    SS JJ Hardy
    P

SP Rotation
    Bailey
    Webb
    Arroyo
    Cueto
    Oh boy not Pierre, that's like Taveras part duex only more expensive. I like Martin and now would be a good time to buy low on him he had a down season. I like the idea of doing something with the Dodgers they have a lot of talent. But don't know what makes sense for the Dodgers that also makes sense for the Reds. Harang doesn't look to be a good fit at this point for them.

That is too much for Martin and no I don't want Juan either.

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

1. Trade Alonso, Harang, Valaika to the Mets for SS Jose Reyes. The Mets ended the season with 3 starting pitchers on the longterm DL. They need starting pitching. They also need a first baseman and will need a future SS to replace Reyes. Harang+Alonso make $13.5M next season and Reyes makes $9.5M. This equals a savings of $4M. Reyes has a career batting average of .286 and his an OBP over .350 the past 4 seasons, along with over 300 stolen bases, while only turning 27 years old next season. I realize he's coming off an injury, but he did return to the field at the end of the season. Many Reds observers have soured on Harang, as he posts a mid-4.00 e.r.a. Mets first baseman, Carlos Delgado spent nearly the entire season on the DL with a hip impingement, and turns 38 soon. Mets should be looking for a quality first baseman to replace him (Alonso). Alonso is blocked by Votto ahead of him anyway.

2. Trade Cordero for anything to free up $12.125M. I like CoCo, but his salary doesn't fit our small market team. Closer by committee starting with Masset, Rhodes, and Herrera.

3. Trade Juan Francisco, Enerio Del Rosario, Danny Dorn, Travis Wood, and Logan Ondrusek to the Padres for first baseman Adrian Gonzalez. Francisco is the Reds best minor league power hitter and should probably end up being a first baseman anyway. He could be their replacement for Gonzalez. Rosario has flown through the minors posting improving numbers all along the way. Ondrusek has flown through the minors with dominating numbers also, and is currently the Reds best relief prospect. Dorn has potential but has nowhere to go with the glut of OFers the Reds have. Wood is the best minor league starting pitcher the Reds have and is on the verge of the majors right now. 5 quality prospects. Gonzalez gives the Reds the legitimate power hitter they need, and he's only 27 years old. He has averaged 32 HR's and 100 rbi over the past 4 season with a career batting average of .277. He had a career year this past season while hitting on a bad offensive team. He is due to make approximately $5M this next season and $5.5M in '11.

3. Move Votto to LF to make room for Gonzalez.

4. Re-sign Hernandez at a lower deal, possibly $2M.

Savings of $4M in Reyes for Harang/Alonso deal. Savings of $12M by trading Cordero. Add $5M by trading for Gonzalez. Sign Hernandez = $2M or more. Approximate savings of $9M or maybe less if Hernandez requires more.

CF Stubbs
    SS Reyes
    LF Votto
    1B Gonzalez
    3B Rolen
    RF Bruce
    2B Phillips
    C Hanigan/Hernandez

Stubbs and Reyes make a dangerous pair of speedsters at the top of the lineup. Phillips can steal a base or two also.

Votto, Gonzalez, Bruce could all hit 25 to 40 HR's. Phillips could hit 20-25 HR's. Rolen might still have it in him with this lineup.

Starting pitching:
    Arroyo - wish he could pitch an entire season like his second half.
    Cueto - good when not overworked
    Bailey - might be our best pitcher
    Maloney - LH Arroyo
    Lehr - no worse than Owings

Edit:
    You could avoid #3 if the Reds were willing to move Votto to LF and put Francisco on 1B. I think Juan would thrive at 1B, and I think Joey would be fine in LF. Juan would be the future power hitter and you could avoid trading all that talent away, namely Travis Wood and Del Rosario. Lance Berkman bounced from OF to 1B all through his career. Joey could do it.
    Last edited by Vottomatic; 10-24-2009 at 04:26 AM.

I'd have to pass on Reyes. He's far too injury prone for my tastes, especially considering the talent that the Reds would have to give up to get him. As far as Adrian Gonzalez goes, I'd love to have him since I think he'd be an absolute monster in GABP, but the reality is that The Reds would have to give up a ton to get him and probably wouldn't be able to sign him long term.

I still say the strategy should be to go after Brignac. Upgrading at SS makes this team significantly better. I think that some combination of Dickerson, Heisey, and Balentien can approximate a good LF. Gomes should be traded, and Stubbs and Bruce should be given the lion's share of the innings in CF and RF, respectively. If the Reds want to sign a cheap SP for insurance, that's fine by me as well.

Again, I think that may be the best strategy given the Reds' budget constraints. SS must be priority number one, and I'll consider this off season a failure if the Reds can't acquire someone to at least compete with Janish for the position.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha Zero View Post
    I'd have to pass on Reyes. He's far too injury prone for my tastes, especially considering the talent that the Reds would have to give up to get him. As far as Adrian Gonzalez goes, I'd love to have him since I think he'd be an absolute monster in GABP, but the reality is that The Reds would have to give up a ton to get him and probably wouldn't be able to sign him long term.

I still say the strategy should be to go after Brignac. Upgrading at SS makes this team significantly better. I think that some combination of Dickerson, Heisey, and Balentien can approximate a good LF. Gomes should be traded, and Stubbs and Bruce should be given the lion's share of the innings in CF and RF, respectively. If the Reds want to sign a cheap SP for insurance, that's fine by me as well.

Again, I think that may be the best strategy given the Reds' budget constraints. SS must be priority number one, and I'll consider this off season a failure if the Reds can't acquire someone to at least compete with Janish for the position.
    Reyes didn't become a starter until 2005 when he turned 22 years old. He was a utility infielder in 2003 and 2004. His 2005 - 2009 games played each season:

2005 161
    2006 153
    2007 160
    2008 159
    2009 36 - was injured most of the season but did return and played at the end of the season.

Injury prone?
    Last edited by Vottomatic; 10-24-2009 at 10:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    3. Trade Juan Francisco, Enerio Del Rosario, Danny Dorn, Travis Wood, and Logan Ondrusek to the Padres for first baseman Adrian Gonzalez. Francisco is the Reds best minor league power hitter and should probably end up being a first baseman anyway. He could be their replacement for Gonzalez. Rosario has flown through the minors posting improving numbers all along the way. Ondrusek has flown through the minors with dominating numbers also, and is currently the Reds best relief prospect. Dorn has potential but has nowhere to go with the glut of OFers the Reds have. Wood is the best minor league starting pitcher the Reds have and is on the verge of the majors right now. 5 quality prospects. Gonzalez gives the Reds the legitimate power hitter they need, and he's only 27 years old. He has averaged 32 HR's and 100 rbi over the past 4 season with a career batting average of .277. He had a career year this past season while hitting on a bad offensive team. He is due to make approximately $5M this next season and $5.5M in '11.

3. Move Votto to LF to make room for Gonzalez.

CF Stubbs
    SS Reyes
    LF Votto
    1B Gonzalez
    3B Rolen
    RF Bruce
    2B Phillips
    C Hanigan/Hernandez

Edit:
    You could avoid #3 if the Reds were willing to move Votto to LF and put Francisco on 1B. I think Juan would thrive at 1B, and I think Joey would be fine in LF. Juan would be the future power hitter and you could avoid trading all that talent away, namely Travis Wood and Del Rosario. Lance Berkman bounced from OF to 1B all through his career. Joey could do it.
    Instead of trading and giving up alot of talented prospects for Gonzalez, just stick Francisco at 1B, allowing you to keep Travis Wood, Rosario, Andrusek. You can never have enough pitching, nor do you know which guy will emerge.

CF Stubbs
    SS Reyes
    LF Votto
    3B Rolen
    1B Francisco
    2B Phillips
    RF Bruce
    C Hanigan/Hernandez

Speed at the top of the order, and the #3 thru #7 hitters all have pop in their bats.

I like it.

Arroyo
    Cueto
    Bailey
    Maloney
    Wood or Lehr

I could be wrong, but I thought that Reyes battled leg problems throughout the 2008 season but didn't actually go onto the DL because he was in a pennant race. However, looking at his SB totals from that year, it doesn't seem like it bothered him all that much. Still I'm a bit wary of picking up a guy like Reyes after he has suffered through some leg injuries. Speed is half of his game as far as I'm concerned.

I guess I'm partial to Brignac (or someone like him) because I think he's a clear upgrade to Janish, won't cost too much in terms of prospects, and will be cheap for the next 3 years or more.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha Zero View Post
    I could be wrong, but I thought that Reyes battled leg problems throughout the 2008 season but didn't actually go onto the DL because he was in a pennant race. However, looking at his SB totals from that year, it doesn't seem like it bothered him all that much. Still I'm a bit wary of picking up a guy like Reyes after he has suffered through some leg injuries. Speed is half of his game as far as I'm concerned.

I guess I'm partial to Brignac (or someone like him) because I think he's a clear upgrade to Janish, won't cost too much in terms of prospects, and will be cheap for the next 3 years or more.
    The problem with prospects is that you have to keep them on the 40 man after 4 or 5 years, or they become rule 5 draft casualties.

For instance, look at the glut of OFers the Reds have at the major and minor league level. Bruce, Stubbs, Tavares, Dickerson, Gomes, Balentien, Heisey, Dorn, and now Francisco. Doesn't even include Darnell McDonald and Laynce Nix. I think we can all agree that Bruce has RF locked up and Stubbs has CF locked up unless they stumble. Heisey's minor league and AFL numbers are making him look like another Joey Votto type player. Also, management is trying Francisco out in LF in the AFL. What to do with all these prospects?

Going position by position, Votto and Phillips have 1B and 2B locked up. Rolen is a stopgap for another season at 3B, and the only minor league prospect possibly ready to replace him is Todd Frazier. Zach Cozart is the most likely SS prospect unless Valaika rebounds this upcoming season.

I just think with so many major league positions locked up by mostly young players that the Reds need to consider trading some of these prospects with nowhere to go, to fill our remaining needs.

The Future is Now Ghosts of 1990's Avatar

They wouldn't do that haha
    2009 Attendance Record: 3-5 2010 Attendance Record: 2-9 2015 Attendance Record: 2-0
    2011 Attendance Record: 3-4 2012 Attendance Record: 3-4
    2013 Attendance Record: 5-2 2014 Attendance Record: 3-1

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    The problem with prospects is that you have to keep them on the 40 man after 4 or 5 years, or they become rule 5 draft casualties.

For instance, look at the glut of OFers the Reds have at the major and minor league level. Bruce, Stubbs, Tavares, Dickerson, Gomes, Balentien, Heisey, Dorn, and now Francisco. Doesn't even include Darnell McDonald and Laynce Nix. I think we can all agree that Bruce has RF locked up and Stubbs has CF locked up unless they stumble. Heisey's minor league and AFL numbers are making him look like another Joey Votto type player. Also, management is trying Francisco out in LF in the AFL. What to do with all these prospects?

Going position by position, Votto and Phillips have 1B and 2B locked up. Rolen is a stopgap for another season at 3B, and the only minor league prospect possibly ready to replace him is Todd Frazier. Zach Cozart is the most likely SS prospect unless Valaika rebounds this upcoming season.

I just think with so many major league positions locked up by mostly young players that the Reds need to consider trading some of these prospects with nowhere to go, to fill our remaining needs.
    I agree with you to an extent. At some point you have to take your excess prospects and cash them in or risk losing them. I have no problem with that, but I also think that the Reds need to be particularly cautious with how they spend their prospects. There are some good players in the Reds' system, but they aren't particularly deep at very many positions outside of the OF.

I guess it boils down to the fact that I don't like Reyes quite as much as you, and if I'm going to blow my wad of prospects, I want it to be for a guy who I think is a great fit for my team. Reyes could be that guy, but I'm not really sure.

Turn Off Ads?