Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Disc Golf - am I the highlander?

Score Early, Score Often gonelong's Avatar

Disc Golf - am I the highlander?

There can be only one.

I have mentioned disc golf a few times on this forum without nary a nod from any other poster. Surely I can't be the only poster here that has plays regularly, or has played at all ... can I?

I picked this up two years ago regularly play the following courses ...

Indian Riffle Park Kettering, OH
    Belmont Park Dayton, OH
    Sycamore Trails DGC Miamisburg, OH
    Community Park DGC Troy, OH
    Duke Foundation DGC Piqua, OH
    Englewood MetroPark DGC Englewood, OH

and hit this one time ...
    Alum Creek Disc Golf Course Delaware, OH

I am looking to make a weekend trip to play 3-4 Cincy courses, catch a Reds game (or two), etc. If you can recommend some interesting courses within 30 mins in any direction of the ball-yard, please do so.

GL

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Disc Golf - am I the highlander?

You're not! Cincinnati is actually one of the best cities for disc golf that I've come across, and has hosted a few PDGA world championships in the past. Here are my recommendations:

Mt. Airy- A great place to start. It's only a few miles from downtown, has a great pro shop, and is very well maintained. Absolutely no reason not to play here.

Idlewild- One of the best pro-caliber courses you'll ever see. The design is amazing, and it's been lovingly kept fresh. Be warned though; if you're not confident in your skills, this course will truly punish you. There's nothing close to a "gimme" hole, and the only ace run recently got a redesign.

Banklick (Lincoln Ridge)- Idlewild's 24-hole counterpart a few miles away. Not nearly as difficult, but arguably much more fun for the casual golfer, and a great way to spend your day. It attracts a real crowd.

Woodland Mound- One of the old Steady Ed-desinged courses. It's fun to see the dated elements like concrete circles around the baskets and absurdly generous pars on the signs, given that it's a relatively open (still with enough lone trees and gulleys to make it interesting) course full of ace runs. Generally crowded, but still good if you're looking for a fourth option.

As for the rest, since you're coming from the Dayton area, take the time to stop by Disctractions at Hueston Woods if you can. It's a brand new 27-hole course with in beautiful natural setting that I've heard great things about. If you're going to be spending a full day at the Kentucky courses, Boone Woods isn't too bad. Gulley and AJ Jolly are pretty good, but not worth the long drives. Avoid Winton Woods (old, overcrowded, and in desperate need of a redesign) and Pride Park (baskets gone). Check out dgcoursereview.com for directions and reviews... it's a great resource.

Hope I helped!

Quote Originally Posted by The DARK View Post
    As for the rest, since you're coming from the Dayton area, take the time to stop by Disctractions at Hueston Woods if you can.
    I have camped at Hueston Woods at least a dozen times (though not in a few years), love that area.

Check out dgcoursereview.com for directions and reviews... it's a great resource.
    I have that bookmarked on my smartphone, comes in real handy when trying to locate and navigate a course for the first time.

Hope I helped!
    Most definately! Thank you! PM me if you are going to be up in my neck of the woods and want to play a course or two. Be happy to have you. I live North of Dayton, but work in Fairborn. I would be happy to meet up in North Cincy (weekends)/South Dayton (weekdays) if we can work it out.

I hope to give some of the Cincy courses a run this Spring.

GL
    Last edited by gonelong; 01-18-2012 at 11:17 AM.

I like disc golf too, though it's been a while since I played. There's a park 5 minutes from me here in VB with a course that gets a good amount of traffic. There were even about a dozen or so diehards out there on Christmas morning, even though the park was technically closed.
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

Quote Originally Posted by RichRed View Post
    I like disc golf too, though it's been a while since I played. There's a park 5 minutes from me here in VB with a course that gets a good amount of traffic. There were even about a dozen or so diehards out there on Christmas morning, even though the park was technically closed.
    I played 6 times in December in 2011, and once in January. Hope to get out this weekend. This weather has been awesome for that.

VB? (Edit: Virginia Beach, Doh!)

GL

Only played a couple times, but I've been to this. It's an incredibly cool event.

2011 Urban Skins Disc Golf Asheville- Part 1 - YouTube
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

I've only played a few times as well but I love it. There's a course in Golden Gate Park, less than a mile from my apartment. The only problem is that it's the only course in San Francisco and is always packed. I'm a virtual newbie and don't want too many witnesses to my flailing.

My brother bought me a driver and a putter. I get the need for those two -- the driver sails more than a regular frisbee and the putter "absorbs" the chains. But the other golfers have, like, two dozen disks with them. What are they all for?

Quote Originally Posted by Rojo View Post
    I've only played a few times as well but I love it. There's a course in Golden Gate Park, less than a mile from my apartment. The only problem is that it's the only course in San Francisco and is always packed. I'm a virtual newbie and don't want too many witnesses to my flailing.

My brother bought me a driver and a putter. I get the need for those two -- the driver sails more than a regular frisbee and the putter "absorbs" the chains. But the other golfers have, like, two dozen disks with them. What are they all for?
    I started with 3 disks two years ago. I have about 20 discs and may use up to 10-12 of them in any given round.

The disks are of different weight, design, material type, and flight characteristics. Matching these disc variables with your throwing abilties (speed, power, spin rate, accuracy, ability to throw level) will allow you to shape your shots around obstacles (water, trees, etc.), throw for distance, and accurately position yourself close to the basket on up-shots.

Image a large tree directly in your flight path ... 1/3, 1/2, or 2/3 of the distance between you and the basket. Now vary the distance to the basket from 50 ft, to 100 ft, to 150 ft, to 200 ft, to 250 ft. Now image you need to approach the hole from the right side of the tree, and then next time from the left. In once case you can throw very high, in the other you must throw low (under tree branches). I'd use about 6-8 different disks to accomplish these. It'd be much tougher to do it with just one or two, consistently.

There are also many ways to throw a disc. Search Utube for "discraft disc golf" and then backhand, forehand, thumber, roller, scoobie, and putting and you will get some idea why there are so many disks and why guys carry a good assortment of them. Additionally, it is not unusual to lose a disc occasionally. I carry doubles of my favorite discs.

Discs have speed, glide, turn, fade. Here is a good thumbnail of what these are.

Discs sort of generically have an elongated "S" shaped flight path. Straight, then veering right, then straighter, then veering back left. (disc is spinning clockwise)

That is, they have a tendency to fight to go to the right (turn) on a Right Hand Backhand throw (disc is spinning clockwise) and, as they slow down, they fight to come back to the left (fade). Discs that resist turn are still affected by turn, and discs that hold a turn throughout their path still fight to fade back over. Given enough height, all discs would fade back over to the left, regardless of their high speed turn rating.

Overstable disks want to fade more. Underpowering this disk will cause it to fade even more. Understable disks want to turn more. Overpowering this disk will cause it to turn even more.

GL
    Last edited by gonelong; 01-18-2012 at 05:59 PM.

Now I'm even more intimidated. Thanks GL.

Seriously, that's all pretty interesting. And here I thought these guys were just posing with their many, many discs.

I couldn't find any left handed discs. That's why I don't play.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

12. Likes:

RichRed (07-17-2015)

Quote Originally Posted by SunDeck View Post
    I couldn't find any left handed discs. That's why I don't play.
    It's easy. They are in the same section with the left footed socks.

I used to play a lot in high school. There was a course right down the street from my house in Anderson, but I haven't played in over 10 years.

Now I'm even more intimidated. Thanks GL.
    Sorry!

Seriously, that's all pretty interesting. And here I thought these guys were just posing with their many, many discs.
    Some of them are.

I am by no means an expert, so above should be taken with a grain of salt. Besides, all that assumes you throw the disk level. If you have either the left/right side up/down at various angles the disk will have a much different flight path, especially when you pair it with various thrown speeds of the disk.

So far I have met nothing but good people disc golfing. I spent a good deal of time asking people why they threw a certain disc, in that specific situation, and how. To a person, all have been nothing but helpful even in the middle of a competitive round.

I gave traded in golfing for disc golfing. Still competitive and still a lot to master at a fraction of the time and cost to participate. IMO it's relaxing, while golf regularly left me frustrated.

GL
    Last edited by gonelong; 01-19-2012 at 01:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by gonelong View Post
    I gave traded in golfing for disc golfing. Still competitive and still a lot to master at a fraction of the time and cost to participate. IMO it's relaxing, while golf regularly left me frustrated.
    As long as I don't have to become a drumcircle/hackeysack/Phish guy.

As long as I don't have to become a drumcircle/hackeysack/Phish guy.
    I am (almost) 42, work in managment, own a polo shirt, hold multiple degrees and certifications, married (happily), have offspring, own a home, my car will start, I show up on time, and I have a "career path".

In the league I played last summer almost any two of these combined would differentiate me from 90+% or more of the group. I'm not sure who was more suprised the first week I showed up at the local DG league, the rest of the group, or me.

All in all, a very good group of guys.

GL

Quote Originally Posted by gonelong View Post
    I am (almost) 42, work in managment, own a polo shirt, hold multiple degrees and certifications, married (happily), have offspring, own a home, my car will start, I show up on time, and I have a "career path".
    I'm 43 but it's not the age. It's just this town is lousy with Trustafarians, who seem to have the time to clog up the course 24/7. I took an odd, rainy Friday off last February just so I could have the course to myself. Nope.

Turn Off Ads?