Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 21 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: The "age" of diva umpires

Re: The "age" of diva umpires

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Bateman View Post
    Reading George's posts, where essentially, the only rational argument he has is that the power trips that umpires go on is governed by the rules books, does anyone else think that the main issue is the archaic rules o MLB?

I mean, who cares about umpires? I don't.

I tune into watch baseball and the players capable of playing the game. I prefer an umpire that 100% does not intrude on the game and calls a reasonable game. Let the players show emotion, get rid of irrational rules that give the power of the game to those who can't play it.
    Yep, the best umpires are invisible, you don't even notice them.
    Unfortunately, a lot of umps have HUGE egos. They can't play the game so they want to be part of the show too. Thus they bounce at opportunities to create a confrontation where there is none, and relish the opportunity to "send a message" when it's not appropriate.

Even if the rules justify some of these actions, there's no need for the umps to be such jerks to the players to stroke their egos.

Honestly, umps have abused their power for so long, that when a player legitimately abuses an ump (like the spitting incident), not many people have sympathy for the ump.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

2. Likes:

remdog (05-09-2013)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by George Anderson View Post
    Years ago I got pulled over for running a red light. A cop came to my car and took my license and registration, ran it through his computer and found out I was not wanted for anything and didn't have much of a driving history. He came back to my car and told me he was going to give me a warning but then tossed my license and registration back at me and told me "next time get your ""blanking"" head out of your ass"..
    Let's see, you ran a red light. You could've killed or crippled someone.
    Yea, that's the same as a player getting mad because he struck out.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

No, the rule book stops players from showing their true emotions towards umpires.

If you don't like the rule book then make an appointment with Mr. Bud Selig to talk about getting it changed.
    Actually, the rule book doesn't prevent any players from showing emotion towards umpires. It does however give umpires the power to govern the rules within.

That's the umpire's job.

I just don't see how the metaphorical way that you glammed that job up to be on the same level of being a police officer.

Recently I read this book, Don't Kill The Umpire: How Baseball Escaped Its Violent Past A really interesting read that I recommend.

I also enjoy the aggressive, diva like behavior some use in their response to any of George's responses concerning umpiring. Good stuff!

7. Likes:

Brutus (05-10-2013),Bumstead (05-08-2013),George Anderson (05-08-2013),Revering4Blue (05-09-2013)

I really don't get this. If you think umpiring is worse today than it was 30 years ago, you should go watch some game film. Umpires today are not perfect, but frankly they have come miles away from where they were.
    "Even a bad day at the ballpark beats the snot out of most other good days. I'll take my scorecard and pencil and beer and hot dog and rage at the dips and cheer at the highs, but I'm not ever going to stop loving this game and this team and nobody will ever take that away from me." Roy Tucker October 2010

9. Likes:

Roy Tucker (05-08-2013)

13 Belongs in Cooperstown Captain13's Avatar

I have seen several people in this thread and others that say basically "a good umpire should never be noticed". That is at least partailly true, but when a player puts a spotlight on that umpire it is not the umpire "being a diva" it is the player being a brat and it is then the player's fault he got ejected.
    What if this is as good as it gets?

11. Likes:

George Anderson (05-08-2013),Revering4Blue (05-09-2013)

Unfortunately, none of this will get solved overnight. Obviously, players should conduct themselves in a sporting like matter and realize they are never going to change an umps mind. If they disagree with a close call, yes sometimes the player will have a reaction of disbelief, but they need to get over it quickly. By the time most players have made it to the majors, they've had their fair share of calls go against them to understand this.

On the flip side, the ump needs to also keep their emotions in check. You can't expect one behavior from the players and not demonstrate it yourself. Again, the umps natural reaction will be to defend their decision. But once an ump makes it to the major leagues, they should have enough experience to understand that by remaining calm, most situations will die very quickly. If the player keeps it up and insists on carrying on the argument, then yeah, they have earned the ejection at that point.
    ...the 2-2 to Woodsen and here it comes...and it is swung on and missed! And Tom Browning has pitched a perfect game! Twenty-seven outs in a row, and he is being mobbed by his teammates, just to the thirdbase side of the mound.

13. Likes:

REDREAD (05-08-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Captain13 View Post
    I have seen several people in this thread and others that say basically "a good umpire should never be noticed". That is at least partailly true, but when a player puts a spotlight on that umpire it is not the umpire "being a diva" it is the player being a brat and it is then the player's fault he got ejected.
    Why empower a player by acknowledging a gutteral reaction to a call?

There are some cases where a player's demonstrative actions justify responses that are frankly unavoidable.

We've seen two high profile instances in as many weeks where player behavior did not rise to that threshold but umpire engagement escalated an event. That really shouldn't happen.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

15. Likes:

REDREAD (05-08-2013),remdog (05-09-2013)

Guys didn't you know that umps get 95% of calls correct....

Why they get credit for their overall rate is beyond me when that rate includes calling a guy out at first by 4 steps?
    Newsflash!

Joey Votto does not care about RBI.

NEITHER SHOULD ANY OF US

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    Let's see, you ran a red light. You could've killed or crippled someone.
    Yea, that's the same as a player getting mad because he struck out.
    Change the scenario to littering. I could have been busted for littering and the cop instead of writing me a ticket could have told me "pick up the blankin trash or I will write you a ticket". Now I would have been grateful that the cop let me go without writing me a ticket in that circumstance even though he used such naughty language, However there are those including many on this board and in MLB that would likely get irate or at the very least file a complaint against the cop for using naughty language even when the cop was doing them a favor and cutting them a break. If people who are in charge of enforcing rules whether they be cops, umpires or whoever only get more problems or more grief by trying to diffuse problems or issuing warnings then be done with it all and just eject right away like in the old days.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

Quote Originally Posted by dfs View Post
    I really don't get this. If you think umpiring is worse today than it was 30 years ago, you should go watch some game film. Umpires today are not perfect, but frankly they have come miles away from where they were.
    Exactly. To the many common fans umpiring is worse now than it has ever been but to trained professionals such as myself we know better.

It could be better by advancing umpires back and forth from the minors and MLB like they do the players based on performance, but that is a whole different subject.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

It's the fans and a few of the posters in this thread that are the divas. I am not going to lose any sleep when a rich, spoiled brat throws a tantrum on the field and gets ejected. Grow up and be an adult, this isn't a video game. The one thing I think umpires should change, is that they should stop doing interviews. Just because the media is arrogant enough to believe they actually have the right to know everything, the reality is that it is none of their business.

Any time we have a thread about umpires, I see some of the most comical posts of any thread. So many posters are completely clueless about what goes on on a baseball diamond. It's amazing.

Bum

20. Likes:

George Anderson (05-08-2013),jimbo (05-08-2013),Revering4Blue (05-09-2013)

I think you are missing the part where umpires authority being compared to cops authority will always come up short.
    Newsflash!

Joey Votto does not care about RBI.

NEITHER SHOULD ANY OF US

Change the scenario to littering. I could have been busted for littering and the cop instead of writing me a ticket could have told me "pick up the blankin trash or I will write you a ticket". Now I would have been grateful that the cop let me go without writing me a ticket in that circumstance even though he used such naughty language, However there are those including many on this board and in MLB that would likely get irate or at the very least file a complaint against the cop for using naughty language even when the cop was doing them a favor and cutting them a break. If people who are in charge of enforcing rules whether they be cops, umpires or whoever only get more problems or more grief by trying to diffuse problems or issuing warnings then be done with it all and just eject right away like in the old days.
    It's important to realize that in your comparison, MLB fined the metaphorical cop for inappropriately handling the situation on the field.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?...s_mlb&c_id=mlb

Umpires also have supervisors and are punished when they do their job badly. So one umpire talks out of line to Price and then everyone thinks umpires are divas. It is ridiculous. They are the low hanging fruit for criticism since many bad fans blame the umpires for the reason their team lost/won.

The umpires do a great job, the stats back that up. There just aren't many "Umpires does great job, no incidents" articles on Hardballtalk.

Turn Off Ads?