Turn Off Ads?
Page 26 of 71 FirstFirst ... 1622232425262728293036 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you reading now?

Re: What are you reading now?

Blasting right through The Eye of the World. I forgot how magnificent this book is. I hope you guys are wrong about how the series ends up being disappointing. Although I doubt you are. No way could you have a series that spans that many books and not disappoint towards the end.
    Let's get weird!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    Just about finished with Gray Ghost, The Life and Times of Col. John Singleton Mosby by James Ramage.
    This book was published in 1999 and I just bought it from the Military Book Club. A very good biography about John Mosby who was a guerilla fighter for the Confederacy. He lead a group throughout Northern Virginia that caused a lot of havoc with the Union. This book is of particular interest to me since I live in what was called Mosby's Confederacy. When you know most of the places and areas where things happened it makes it that much more interesting. In fact a couple of his battles took place very close to where I live. If you like Civil War biographies this is very good one about someone who certainly had an impact on that war.
    Interesting, I had Dr. Ramage for a couple of my upper level histories back in the day. I may have to give that one a shot.

Quote Originally Posted by Spitball View Post
    I'm almost through with it. I'm on page 683 of 800 something pages. I have a theory on how it will end because he keeps giving clues through foreshadowing. Though, I suspect the clues will change course as I near the end.
    I finished it a couple of days ago. I loved this book.
    "I am your child from the future. I'm sorry I didn't tell you this earlier." - Dylan Easton

I'm reading The Monkey Wrench Gang by Edward Abbey. It's super hippy dippy/anarchist/something, but it's a really good read so far. I've been told that it's not kind to women, so I'm waiting for the wheels to come off.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

I've discovered Greg Iles. Just finished True Evil, and am debating between Black Cross or Blood Memory as the next one....

Angel of Darkness by Caleb Carr.

I read The Alienist many years ago and was absolutely blown away by it. It has taken me forever to finally get around to reading his follow-up effort.

Quote Originally Posted by Blimpie View Post
    Angel of Darkness by Caleb Carr.

I read The Alienist many years ago and was absolutely blown away by it. It has taken me forever to finally get around to reading his follow-up effort.
    I loved both of these books--actually liked Angel of Darkness better than the Alienist. I've been disappointed by the fact that he hasn't continued with the series. I had read somewhere ages ago that the 3rd one was going to be written from Sarah's POV, but have seen nothing more about a 3rd book since.

Finally finished Infinite Jest. Then I had to go online to figure it out and re-read passages to understand what I read.

Now I'm going to read some linear non-fiction that I don't have to think so hard about.
    Where we gonna go?

"The Eight" cant tell you the author, don't recall. My wife read it a couple of years ago, said it was "OK" so I've had it on the shelf as a fill in. Well I'm waiting for season 2 of Game of thrones to come on/end before I start the third book in that series, just ended 11/22/63 and I've been finding trouble making my way to the library to read the next book I've wanted to read, so I thought it would make decent filler.

Interesting begining, we'll see where it goes.

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by izzy's dad View Post
    Blasting right through The Eye of the World. I forgot how magnificent this book is. I hope you guys are wrong about how the series ends up being disappointing. Although I doubt you are. No way could you have a series that spans that many books and not disappoint towards the end.
    They wouldn't know. It hasn't finished yet. They just announced the release date for the final book.

I will say that the series hit a lull around book 6-8 or so (I might be off a book or 2), but the last several have kicked it back into full gear. I was a bit skeptical once Jordan passed away how Brandon Sanderson would do as a relief pitcher, but I'll be honest I couldn't tell much of a difference (and I'm someone who's OBSESSED by this series and have read it DOZENS of times). He's done a very good job with his first two books of the final 3. Things are shaping up nicely for a tremendous final volume.

Quote Originally Posted by foxfire123 View Post
    I loved both of these books--actually liked Angel of Darkness better than the Alienist. I've been disappointed by the fact that he hasn't continued with the series. I had read somewhere ages ago that the 3rd one was going to be written from Sarah's POV, but have seen nothing more about a 3rd book since.
    There is some guy who stalks Caleb Carr in NYC and has a blog about his books. I believe that he said sometime last year that Carr was currently working on a new book; however it was not a part of the Alienist series.

La Dolce Vita

although occasionally masochistic, i'm NOT reading "the last great game: duke vs. kentucky and the 2.1 seconds that changed basketball" by gene woj..amacallit..
    teach tolerance.

Still working on "What Hath God Wrought", a fantastic history of the US from the end of the War of 1812 through the Mexican American War. Very detailed, very opinionated. "Ball Four" is sitting on my Kindle waiting to be started. And then there's my signature ....
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

Just decided to start Neil Gaiman's "The Graveyard Book".
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

I'm reading Nice Guys Finish Last by Leo Durocher. I found this book at used book store in the Outer Banks last month. An entertaining book and certainly a game played differently back in Durocher's time.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Turn Off Ads?