Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Michael Lorenzen

Re: Michael Lorenzen

Quote Originally Posted by Superdude View Post
    Just because we've had some good luck doesn't mean all starting pitching prospects pan out and flood your rotation. It pays to have as many rolls of the dice as possible. And starters are simultaneously capable of pitching in the bullpen. If you can keep both options available, the only reason to eliminate starting is to fast track someone, which unless you have a good reason for it, is shortsighted most the time.
    Just read through the May 31 MLB.com article on relief pitching. It explains why teams are beginning guys as relievers earlier. Among other things, it makes economic sense to sign relievers early, move them up quickly, and control them as major leaguers for several years.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Just read through the May 31 MLB.com article on relief pitching. It explains why teams are beginning guys as relievers earlier. Among other things, it makes economic sense to sign relievers early, move them up quickly, and control them as major leaguers for several years.
    Sure, if they are sure fire college relievers with no chance of starting, it makes perfect sense.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Sure, if they are sure fire college relievers with no chance of starting, it makes perfect sense.
    The article does say that some colleges are themselves using good arms as relievers, given the pressure to win at that level. But major league scouts are also recommending some pitchers be drafted as relievers based on such factors as durability, body type, etc.

This isn't being done blindly, judgments are being made. But some of these pitchers could eventually be good starters. Teams are taking that risk and using them in the pen.

I think it's economics. While relievers are paid less than starters, late innings guys (Broxton?) can still be expensive. If you can fast track a live arm to the big leagues and control him for several years, it's worth using a few of your prospects that way. Anyway that seems to be the thinking.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    I think we have different ideas about economic sense. Prospects are vital to small market success and high upside arms don't just walk through the door all the time. Economic sense says to get the absolute most value you can out of them. It's not like you can't flip a starter like Wood for a shutdown bullpen arm if need be.

IMO, the Reds made this move with Lorenzen as a way to fast track him. The pen has been eating money and they want a cheap under control option ASAP IMO. Sam Lecure and Alfredo Simon become arb eligible after the season. Broxton and Marshall have cost increases and Chapman's cost sky-rockets after this year. I'm guessing the Reds plan on dealing from the pen for monetary reasons and to fill holes and are trying to create depth there to ease the process.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

7. Likes:

RiverRat13 (08-18-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Superdude View Post
    I think we have different ideas about economic sense. Prospects are vital to small market success and high upside arms don't just walk through the door all the time. Economic sense says to get the absolute most value you can out of them. It's not like you can't flip a starter like Wood for a shutdown bullpen arm if need be.
    According to mlb.com, your gripe isn't with me it's with MLB teams who are opting to fast track prospects whom they see as likely relievers.

I think the teams realize that it costs a great deal of time and money to train every good arm to be a starting pitcher. And similarly, it costs a great deal of money to build a pen with veterans like Marshall and Broxton.

And look at all the money wasted on relievers with mileage on their arms, Madson, Masset, possibly Marshall. Bill Bray who was so often sidelined.

So on occasion they will fast track a kid for the bullpen. A controllable fresh and healthy arm that throws hard. I think it does make sense, yes.
    Last edited by Kc61; 08-18-2013 at 03:27 PM.

Two points on this elite arm/reliever issue.

1. Teams use almost every decent arm at first as a starter, even if they plan to use them as a reliever, simply to get them as many innings as possible, to speed up their development.

2. There's a difference between guys who throw hard and guys with elite arms. If the guy shows any chance of developing decent off speed pitches, teams always keep them as starters until they fail in that area. But there are some guys who throw high 90's that are so far away from developing secondary pitches, that the smart move is to develop them as relievers. Lorenzen seems like a perfect example of that.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769023

Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    Two points on this elite arm/reliever issue.

1. Teams use almost every decent arm at first as a starter, even if they plan to use them as a reliever, simply to get them as many innings as possible, to speed up their development.

2. There's a difference between guys who throw hard and guys with elite arms. If the guy shows any chance of developing decent off speed pitches, teams always keep them as starters until they fail in that area. But there are some guys who throw high 90's that are so far away from developing secondary pitches, that the smart move is to develop them as relievers. Lorenzen seems like a perfect example of that.
    Lorenzen has a pretty good breaking ball already.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Lorenzen has a pretty good breaking ball already.
    You need three good pitches to make it as a starter.

Lorenzen makes sense as a reliever due to his late start and inexperience as a pitcher. We're looking at three, four years of development for him as a starter vs. maybe one as a reliever. The problem with developing him as a reliever is if he just turns into a decent middle reliever, which is very possible. He needs to be a late inning reliever for it to pay off.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769023

Lorenzen makes sense as a reliever due to his late start and inexperience as a pitcher. We're looking at three, four years of development for him as a starter vs. maybe one as a reliever. The problem with developing him as a reliever is if he just turns into a decent middle reliever, which is very possible. He needs to be a late inning reliever for it to pay off.
    You generally need three pitches, but you said "But there are some guys who throw high 90's that are so far away from developing secondary pitches", and Lorenzen is already half way there. I just wanted to point out that he does have a good offspeed pitch at this point, since it could have been read that he didn't have anything but a fastball with your quote.

That's a good point.. but it's a judgement call.
    Hypothetically.. let's say the Reds feel a prospect has a 90% chance of being a decent middle reliever and a 25% chance of being an impact reliever.. all within a year or two.
    Or they could feel he has a 50% chance of being a back of rotation starter, 25% chance of being middle of the rotation starter, and it would take 4-5 years of development time.

It seems in this scenerio, it would be better to make the guy a reliever and get him on the ML roster quickly. He could get an injury during that 4-5 years of minor league training. He could wash out as a starter, etc, etc

As far as Lorenzen specifically, I don't mind them fast tracking him as a reliever. As someone else pointed out our "cheap" relievers are going to start getting expensive. Get him up here and contributing to this window.

The other thing is, relievers are pretty highly valued now. If Lorenzen can get ready quickly, maybe we have an extra reliever at the 2014 trade deadline to fill another hole. Heck, maybe even Lorenzen himself can be the next Zach Stewart that fills a hole in the lineup.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Doug
    Have you seen Loenzen yet? How did he look vs what you had heard? He hasn't exactly thrived his last few times out so I hope they don't force rushing him too much.

http://www.milb.com/milb/stats/stats...pbp&pid=547179

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

I'm not sure what the success rate is of converting college relievers to starters, there won't be a whole lot of data points, but I can see the argument for taking the short path to success given his age and relative lack of pitching experience. That doesn't mean I want the Reds to try it with people they really believe have a good chance of being good starting pitchers, though. But baseball is not one-size-fits-all.
    Reading comprehension is not just an ability, it's a choice

Just a tidbit.

Marty said he talked to a scout that was looking at the Reds entire minor league system. He gave the scout's name over the radio, but I forgot.

Anyhow, Marty said the Scout ranked the Reds' prospects as:

1. Stephenson
    2. Lorenzen.

Thought that was interesting.
    Marty went off on a tangent after that, so I never heard beyond #2.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

17. Likes:

mdccclxix (08-29-2013),Puffy (08-30-2013)

I've seen Lorenzen twice, he has a mid 90's fastball and very good slider that he has great control over, he can hit too. I see why he wants to play OF. Great athlete.

Turn Off Ads?