Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: The NCAA Brackets

Re: The NCAA Brackets

Quote Originally Posted by Mutaman View Post
    I remember the last time Marquette played UK in the NCAA. I think that fellow Wade had a pretty good game.
    One of the darker days of my life....BUT, Bogans did have a bad ankle....

I think I'm going to start crying....
    Variatio delectat - Cicero

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Cedric View Post
    How is Dayton left out for teams like Kentucky and Oregon? Who exactly has Kentucky beaten outside of Lexington? I don't like Kentucky and never will, but they will never get left out of the tournament if there is a shot. It's just not gonna happen.

Kentucky lost to Houston, UAB, Belmont, San Diego, and Georgia. And I don't care if Georgia won a defacto home tournament considering the SEC is weak as hell. That's not even mentioning that Georgia beat Kentucky in their first conference tournament game. UK won exactly three games against tournament teams and two against Georgia who is a joke tournament team.

Kentucky won exactly zero games against any team on the road. Dayton won AT Louisville, beat Pitt, and beat three other tournament teams. They also had two of their three best players out for an extended period of time. Kentucky got rewarded because of their name and the fact they beat Tennessee at home. I think a team with zero good road wins just doesn't deserve a bid.

Another team that has a complaint is Syracuse. They played in a much better conference and still beat more tournament teams than Kentucky. They beat Georgetown, @ 'Nova, against Marquette, and lesser tournament teams like Siena and Cornell.

How can you look at Kentucky and then Syracuse and tell me that Kentucky had a better resume? Where does Kentucky have an advantage? Hell 'Cuse won at Virginia. That is about as good as any Kentucky road win and they also had wins against the teams above. Syracuse seems to always get screwed.
    Kentucky lost to Belmont this year? News to me.

I also love how everybody piles on the SEC even though we placed SIX teams in the tournament(Georgia would not be there if they had not won the tournament). By contrast, the ACC and Big Ten only placed four.

I think I mentioned in the other thread that everybody would be claiming the Georgia loss was illegitimate as an argument for Kentucky making the tournament.

I guess I can bring this out:

Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Quote Originally Posted by Razor Shines View Post
    Is that dude your brother? Because you are really pimpin' that article.
    No relation at all.

Believe that's only the 2nd time I've mentioned it. If mentioning something a 2nd time constitutes pimpin, then I guess I'm guilty.

Thought the author did some decent leg work quantifying and analyzing what many of us in ACC land have been noticing the past handful of years. Duke doesn't play anybody away on their home court out of conference. Nor are they athletic or deep (despite having 6-8 McDonald's AAs on their roster in any given year). That's been their achilles heel and it's come back to bite them in March on what's becoming a regular basis.

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    I also love how everybody piles on the SEC even though we placed SIX teams in the tournament(Georgia would not be there if they had not won the tournament). By contrast, the ACC and Big Ten only placed four.
    If Georgia doesn't win their conference tourney, Va Tech is likely the team that gets in, making it 5 for the SEC and 5 for the ACC.

Game times are now all official.

Thursday:
    12:20 PM Georgia at (10) Xavier
    12:25 PM Portland State at (5) Kansas
    12:30 PM Temple at (19) Michigan State
    2:30 PM Kentucky at (25) Marquette
    2:50 PM Baylor at (17) Purdue
    2:55 PM Kent State at UNLV
    3:00 PM Oral Roberts at Pittsburgh
    5:00 PM Cornell at (11) Stanford
    7:10 PM Belmont at (7) Duke
    7:10 PM Kansas State at USC
    7:20 PM Winthrop at (21) Washington State
    7:25 PM Texas A&M at (24) Brigham Young
    9:40 PM Arizona at West Virginia
    9:40 PM Cal State Fullerton at (8) Wisconsin
    9:50 PM George Mason at (14) Notre Dame
    9:55 PM Mississippi Valley State at (3) UCLA

Friday:
    12:15 PM American University at (4) Tennessee
    12:25 PM (23) Davidson at (20) Gonzaga
    12:30 PM Western Kentucky at (16) Drake
    12:30 PM Saint Mary's at Miami (FL)
    2:45 PM South Alabama at (12) Butler
    2:55 PM Maryland-Baltimore County at (9) Georgetown
    3:00 PM San Diego at (15) Connecticut
    3:00 PM Austin Peay at (6) Texas
    7:10 PM St. Joseph's (PA) at Oklahoma
    7:20 PM Siena at (18) Vanderbilt
    7:25 PM Oregon at Mississippi State
    9:40 PM Arkansas at (22) Indiana
    9:40 PM Boise State at (13) Louisville
    9:50 PM Villanova at Clemson
    9:55 PM Texas-Arlington at (2) Memphis
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Quote Originally Posted by 15fan View Post
    No relation at all.

Believe that's only the 2nd time I've mentioned it. If mentioning something a 2nd time constitutes pimpin, then I guess I'm guilty.

Thought the author did some decent leg work quantifying and analyzing what many of us in ACC land have been noticing the past handful of years. Duke doesn't play anybody away on their home court out of conference. Nor are they athletic or deep (despite having 6-8 McDonald's AAs on their roster in any given year). That's been their achilles heel and it's come back to bite them in March on what's becoming a regular basis.
    I'm just messing with you, obviously I didn't think it was your brother. Although one mention of the article was enough for me, but you've done your duty. You've warned us of the evils of Duke and tried to save us from ruining our brackets. Of course this is a site where Duke is pretty much thoroughly hated anyway, so you're probably preaching to the choir. Either way I appreciate your service. Just don't let the hatred consume you. I'd hate to hear one day that you stopped going to work and where found rocking back in forth in front of your computer mumbling "Duke's overrated, Duke gets all the calls...."
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

Quote Originally Posted by Razor Shines View Post
    I'd hate to hear one day that you stopped going to work and where found rocking back in forth in front of your computer mumbling "Duke's overrated, Duke gets all the calls...."
    Nah - I'm not that bad off.

Yet.

Brucie Pearl is upset with their placement in the bracket. Perhaps it's because he was wearing a spacesuit as they watched.

http://tennessean.com/apps/pbcs.dll/.../80316008/1035

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    BTW, the real matchup IMO isn't Mayo-Beasley, it will be Mayo-Walker. Two best friends going against each other.
    Walker has been a non-factor for the past 6 weeks. His NBA stock has tumbled considerably. He's started fancying himself as a 3-point shooter, which he really isn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool View Post
    Walker has been a non-factor for the past 6 weeks. His NBA stock has tumbled considerably. He's started fancying himself as a 3-point shooter, which he really isn't.
    Still, as far as Cincinnati goes, that will be what is talked about. If the OHSAA had not ruled Walker ineligible, Mayo would have stayed in Cincinnati.

Walker's temper has been a problem, but he and Beasley both are very emotional players. I remember watching him Walker play Nebraska and picking up three fouls(one a technical for slamming the ball in celebration after a putback) in two minutes.

His biggest strength is dunking the ball. Only problem is, that doesn't work well in college unless you have other tools to be successful. I see Demar DeRozan from USC being a similar player.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Boy, Carolina gets the number 1 seed and gets rewarded with probably the top 2 seed and the top 3 seed (Tennessee and Louisville), not to mention ND as the 5 - thanks tourney committee.

Gonzaga v. Davidson - yipes, great first round game!

Watch for Siena to give Vandy some problems. Don't think the Saints will win, but will give them problems.
    "I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum."
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

"It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. I am not a big man"
    - - Fletch

Quote Originally Posted by Puffy View Post
    Watch for Siena to give Vandy some problems. Don't think the Saints will win, but will give them problems.
    People said the same thing last year about George Washington.

And Washington State.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Serafini View Post
    First reaction for me is that this has to be the least controversial bracket in a long time. There's no "huh?" team in and no one out who seriously got robbed. ESPN keeps trying to hype up Arizona St., but they never had a prayer. Butler got hosed, not only with getting a 7 but having to play S. Alabama in Birmingham, but if that's the biggest mistake it's not a bad bracket.
    Same here. I don't see an overly controversial bracket. The only "wow" factor for me was how tough the East bracket is for Carolina. They don't have the easiest road by any stretch and they are supposed to be the top overall seed.

Quote Originally Posted by BRM View Post
    Same here. I don't see an overly controversial bracket. The only "wow" factor for me was how tough the East bracket is for Carolina. They don't have the easiest road by any stretch and they are supposed to be the top overall seed.
    And in turn, UT got a little jobbed if you consider them the top #2 seed. (Never thought I'd say that.)

Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498 View Post
    And in turn, UT got a little jobbed if you consider them the top #2 seed. (Never thought I'd say that.)
    Yep. I can't imagine they were considered the "worst" 2 seed but it looks like they were.

Turn Off Ads?