Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Reds 40 Man Roster as of 8/1/09. What players need protection in Rule V draft?

Re: Reds 40 Man Roster as of 8/1/09. What players need protection in Rule V draft?

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Watson has too much ability to let him walk.

I'd be suprised if he isn't protected.

I wonder if Wilkin Castillo and Ramon Ramirez will be protected, among those on the projected list. Darryl Thompson could be a question mark with his health problems. And the Reds may deal Maloney, they don't seem to want him in the big leagues, I don't know what kind of future he has with the club.
    Like Doug I'd be surprised if he does get drafted were he not protected. There is no way he can stick at the major league level right now. Kind of foolish to draft a bullpen arm and lock down a 25 man spot for the whole season unless he can actually get by there and Watson cannot yet. I leave him unprotected for that reason. Besides throwing an average major league fastball and a great knuckle curve he doesn't really have anything else that shouts "gotta keep him".
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Reds 40 Man Roster as of 8/1/09. What players need protection in Rule V draft?

Quote Originally Posted by GOYA View Post
    The streak is longer than that. It's over 23 innings.

I would not protect Valiquette. I might protect Jukich unless he falters at the end of this season. I would also protect Ondrusek.
    Jukich, I don't know I'd protect him, maybe. His stuff is a bot too fringy I would think to be concerned somebody would get him but he is an arm that could probably stick at the major league level and survive but probably on a pitching needy club only. Maybe like the Nats.

On Ondrusek can someone give me some info on what he throws? For whatever reason he is one that just slipped under my radar.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Quote Originally Posted by HokieRed View Post
    Streak was 16.2 over his last ten outings when I posted. I would protect Valiquette if possible; I would protect him over Castillo and Valaika for sure and perhaps before others.
    I'd definitely protect him over Castillo at this point. Valaika I still think needs to be protected his bat is just too good to let go of. I think he is a natural hitter who has yet to hit his stride yet in AAA, what with the early season injury and all.

--Woody Hayes

Quote Originally Posted by gedred69 View Post
    This list makes a lot of sense. Sorry to agree on Bray, many in baseball saw him as one of the best up and coming LH relievers, but he hasn't been healthy. Agree on Smith, but his inability to stay healthy has to be a concern. I just wonder though, how a Dorn/Gomes platoon in LF might do. It should reach 40+ HRs for sure.
    Bray pitched in 63 games last year and 48 his rookie season, missed this year and had some injuries in '07 but still pitched in 37 games between the big club and Louisville. Hasn't been healthy is being blown out of proportion in this case. Too soon to throw away such a talented arm.

I don't know about Dorn Gomes but Dorn/Balentein could be intriguing.

--Woody Hayes

Quote Originally Posted by Mario-Rijo View Post
    I'd definitely protect him over Castillo at this point. Valaika I still think needs to be protected his bat is just too good to let go of. I think he is a natural hitter who has yet to hit his stride yet in AAA, what with the early season injury and all.

Not inclined to give Valaika protection, as I think there's slim chance he'll be taken. Almost all the action is about pitchers. For teams looking for position players there have to be people farther along than Valaika. Coming off the kind of season he's having in AAA, I just don't think there'd be a lot of danger in exposing him.

Not inclined to give Valaika protection, as I think there's slim chance he'll be taken. Almost all the action is about pitchers. For teams looking for position players there have to be people farther along than Valaika. Coming off the kind of season he's having in AAA, I just don't think there'd be a lot of danger in exposing him.
    Valaika is one of the Reds top prospects. You do not expose someone like that.

Valaika, like others, has a history of breaking in slowly to new levels. It's just development, he'll do better next year.

He won't be exposed and I doubt Watson or Valiquette will be exposed. The Reds will make room for all their high level prospects on the forty man roster.

There are some pretty d--- good position players in that draft every year that don't even get a whiff. I hope we can protect Valaika but I'd certainly protect a number of pitchers before him. And I really don't consider him a top prospect.

There are some pretty d--- good position players in that draft every year that don't even get a whiff. I hope we can protect Valaika but I'd certainly protect a number of pitchers before him. And I really don't consider him a top prospect.
    Personally, I've never been a big fan but most of the top prospects lists had Valaika highly rated for the Reds last off-season. I know he's had a down year at AAA, but so what, it's one year and a new level.

I don't think teams do or should re-rank prospects every time they have a bad year, particularly when they go to a new level.

i also don't think most teams expose high draft choice/ranked prospects unless they have completely given up on them.

If Valaika does poorly at AAA next year, then maybe. This time around I'd be amazed if they exposed him.

And frankly, if a highly touted guy is to be exposed, the team would be better off just trading them for value. With Valaika's pedigree, I'm sure another team would love to have him in a trade.

As to whether he would be drafted in the Rule V draft, who knows.

Well, I think you've got to take some calculated chances in making decisions about who to protect. I've got nothing against protecting Valaika if protecting him doesn't mean we expose somebody else we're going to need--i.e pitching. As to somebody else taking him, I don't see that much danger that somebody will use a 25 man spot for a guy whose OPS is something like .540 over 250 AB's in AAA. Even if he is a major leaguer, I doubt he's going to be one next year.

Well, I think you've got to take some calculated chances in making decisions about who to protect. I've got nothing against protecting Valaika if protecting him doesn't mean we expose somebody else we're going to need--i.e pitching. As to somebody else taking him, I don't see that much danger that somebody will use a 25 man spot for a guy whose OPS is something like .540 over 250 AB's in AAA. Even if he is a major leaguer, I doubt he's going to be one next year.
    It's easy Valaika is a better bat (and defender) than Sutton, so there is where you make your cut.

--Woody Hayes

I won't miss either one. I think it's time to get out of denial and raise the standards.

David Weathers just got traded to the Brewers. That creates both a 25 man roster spot and a 40 man roster spot. any ideas on who might be taking those spots?

Quote Originally Posted by Gallen5862 View Post
    David Weathers just got traded to the Brewers. That creates both a 25 man roster spot and a 40 man roster spot. any ideas on who might be taking those spots?
    Possibly the PTBNL.

Possibly the PTBNL.
    Alcides Escobar
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

I won't miss either one. I think it's time to get out of denial and raise the standards.
    What is it that is being denied? Valaika isn't worth retaining is that what you are saying? I think if you haven't put eyes on this kid you cannot appreciate what he does at the plate, the kid is a natural born batsman. If they leave him unprotected and he doesn't get selected I'd be utterly shocked. Guys with his type of natural born skills don't get left unprotected unless there are some serious other concerns and that doesn't apply here.

--Woody Hayes

Turn Off Ads?