Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: What should the Reds do in Left Field next season?

Voters
104. You may not vote on this poll
  • Jonny Gomes in a similar role

1 0.96%
  • Chris Heisey

9 8.65%
  • Strict Platoon using existing players within organization

3 2.88%
  • Acquire Legitimate high OBP leadoff hitter

28 26.92%
  • Acquire Legitimate Cleanup hitter

63 60.58%
Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: What do you want? Left Field

Re: What do you want? Left Field

Quote Originally Posted by Far East View Post
    The Tigers released the injured 36 year old Magglio Ordonez, whose 2010 line in just 323 AB was .303/.378/.474, including 12 HR (1 for about each 27 AB).

Is he too injured, too old, too much like Gomes in the field?
    It appears as if he's a below average fielder, and he's never played left in his career. I don't think he'd be a terrible option though for whatever reason.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Ordonez wouldn't be horrible, but I think he'll be too expensive. I think his agent is Boras? They'll trick somebody into giving him a multi-year deal, or he'll sign a big one-year deal with Detroit to DH.

Quote Originally Posted by Homer Bailey View Post
    I would love to have Gomes back in a spot start/bench role next year. Problem is, you can't put flawed players like Gomes on a roster and expect Dusty to use him properly.
    That will be Walt's job, not Dusty's. I would guarantee that, if provided a legitimat option, Dusty would play him. Remember, last year's flavor was Dickerson. The gold glover who gets on base with pop. Then he put up a historically bad April and got hurt. Then Heisey was everyone's fav after he beat up Pitt a few times. He got a chance and did nothing with it. Then it was Nix, who many wanted released just a month or two earlier. He got hurt. Then Jocketty traded for Edmonds, who made Dickerson loom like Gehrig.

There were a few times that it looked like Jonny was going to have his role reduced but no one took advantage for a few reasons. If Walt can get someone to help I am sure he will and I am sure that Dusty would play him. But for all the screaming and yelling done this year, did Dusty really have a better choice?

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    That will be Walt's job, not Dusty's. I would guarantee that, if provided a legitimat option, Dusty would play him. Remember, last year's flavor was Dickerson. The gold glover who gets on base with pop. Then he put up a historically bad April and got hurt. Then Heisey was everyone's fav after he beat up Pitt a few times. He got a chance and did nothing with it. Then it was Nix, who many wanted released just a month or two earlier. He got hurt. Then Jocketty traded for Edmonds, who made Dickerson loom like Gehrig.

There were a few times that it looked like Jonny was going to have his role reduced but no one took advantage for a few reasons. If Walt can get someone to help I am sure he will and I am sure that Dusty would play him. But for all the screaming and yelling done this year, did Dusty really have a better choice?
    No, the LF issue this year was entirely on Walt. Fair criticism considering how good the rest of the roster was? Probably not. But where there is a weakness, it should be addressed at some point. Hopefully this year changes things.

However, once Gomes' bat went south, and it was pretty clear it wasn't coming back, why not go with the better defensive option in Heisey? I'm not a Heisey fan by any means, but at least he could have provided some defense out there.

No, the LF issue this year was entirely on Walt. Fair criticism considering how good the rest of the roster was? Probably not. But where there is a weakness, it should be addressed at some point. Hopefully this year changes things.

However, once Gomes' bat went south, and it was pretty clear it wasn't coming back, why not go with the better defensive option in Heisey? I'm not a Heisey fan by any means, but at least he could have provided some defense out there.
    I think because Heisey became a huge liability at the plate dowen the stretch, even more so than Gomes was in the field. Gomes' bat went south, but he still out produced Heisey at the oplate by a wide margin.

Chris saw his most PAs of the season in Sept/Oct and provided us with a .234/.258/.359 line. 1 HR, 7 RBI and a 21-1 BB-K ratio in 67 PAs. I would imagine that Heisey could have stolen that job if he produced and he didn't.

The more I think about it, the more I've decided that unless a screamer of a deal falls into Jocketty's lap this offseason, standing pat in LF this off-season is the way to go.

It's generally a pricey proposition to buy in the off-season. 30 teams are trying to renew season tickets and convince their fan bases that next year's team will contend. Salary dump trades are a little tougher to find. Few teams want to give the illusion that they are throwing in the towel before pitchers & catchers report. Sign a big name FA and you have to win a bidding war, plus forfeit a pick in the subsequent draft.

Instead, I say hold things in LF as/is and instead look to find that impact LF bat at the ASB / trade deadline next season. That's when teams are out of the race, looking to dump salary, and begin retooling for the next season. Sellers are more motivated. There's an actual deadline that pushes sellers to consumate a deal and sell. No such deadline in the off-season. Plus, there are only a handful of teams who are looking to buy in late July. Less competition from other buyers.

You also get the benefit of paying only about 1/3 of the acquired player's salary. This is not insignificant if you are a small market club like the Reds.

During the off-season, I'd rather see Walt doing the legwork to address longer term issues. Namely, a SS. The Reds, and I can't believe I'm even typing this, actually have some depth in starting pitching. A good glove and bat MI is one of the few times you should deal a suprlus of pitching. If there is a potential to deal a Volquez/Cueto/Wood/Leake/Bailey + for a glove/bat SS like Hanley Ramirez (or similar), the off-season is the time to make that kind of deal.

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

I'm not sure if anyone is worth a $100 million dollar contract, especially for a small market team like the Reds.

We fans can dream of getting Crawford, but it's never going to happen, unless we want to salute Bruce and Votto goodbye.
    Votto for MVP

Quote Originally Posted by sivman17 View Post
    I'm not sure if anyone is worth a $100 million dollar contract, especially for a small market team like the Reds.

We fans can dream of getting Crawford, but it's never going to happen, unless we want to salute Bruce and Votto goodbye.
    I'd love to be saddled with $15 mil per season for Carl Crawford right now rather than the $12 million they're paying Francisco Cordero.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus the Pimp View Post
    I'd love to be saddled with $15 mil per season for Carl Crawford right now rather than the $12 million they're paying Francisco Cordero.
    $15MM ain't happening. That sounds like the cover charge.

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    $15MM ain't happening. That sounds like the cover charge.
    Why isn't it happening? The dollar amounts seem to be slightly suppressed the last year or so around baseball. That actually seems like a figure that will wind up being the going rate.

I'm not saying $20 million or more is out of the question, but I think 15 is very possible.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus the Pimp View Post
    Why isn't it happening? The dollar amounts seem to be slightly suppressed the last year or so around baseball. That actually seems like a figure that will wind up being the going rate.

I'm not saying $20 million or more is out of the question, but I think 15 is very possible.
    I've read it's looking something like a 7 year/$126M deal for Crawford.

He'll get it, and perhaps more, teams love the speed guys.
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed View Post
    He'll get it, and perhaps more, teams love the speed guys.
    And when the main suitors are non-playoff making Boston and LAA, I'm sure the money will be flowing.

Werth may be the biggest beneficiary of this one.

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

Sounds like the Alex Rios deal. A lot of love for a guy with a career .781 OPS.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

Turn Off Ads?