Turn Off Ads?

Thread: AFL Rising Stars Game

AFL Rising Stars Game

Chris Heisey just went deep to left field for a 2 run Homer

Yonder Alonso is up right now

Link: http://mlb.mlb.com/media/video.jsp?topic_id=6261176

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: AFL Rising Stars Game

Alonso just lined a ball into left field and got thrown out at 2nd trying to leg out a double.

And he had the 2nd basemen land on him for good measure.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?...=.jsp&c_id=mlb

Lest anyone be tempted to shrug off the performers and performances in this game, consider some of the names included in last October's box score:

Gordon Beckham, Matt Wieters, Phil Hughes, Brian Matusz, Tommy Hanson.

All made Major League impacts this season, with the latter right-hander being a favorite for National League Rookie of the Year honors after going 11-4 with a 2.89 ERA for the Braves.

No wonder this Rising Stars Game is informally referred to in baseball inner circles as a "finishing school."

While all 30 Major League organizations were represented among the 50 players on the two rosters, four teams shared the honor of two starters each: the Orioles (first baseman Brandon Snyder and third baseman Josh Bell), the A's (left fielder Grant Desme and second baseman Jemile Weeks), the Mariners (center fielder Dustin Ackley and shortstop Carlos Triunfel) and the Reds (left fielder Heisey and first baseman Alonso).

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

The MLB Network wrapup has some rather nice things to say about both Heisey and Alonso. It's only a couple minutes long, but it's certainly nice to hear the Reds prospects getting some props.

http://mlb.mlb.com/media/video.jsp?content_id=7126293

Heisey's swing reminds me a lot of Scott Rolen.

Leake sighting. Two Ks already!

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by David Cubbedge View Post
    Leake sighting. Two Ks already!
    Spoiler... he has 3 and the game was played Saturday night.

Quote Originally Posted by RANDY IN CHAR NC View Post
    Heisey's swing reminds me a lot of Scott Rolen.
    i thought the same thing.

Couple of observations:

1)Heisey looks physically like Cody Ross, but his legs are really strong looking. I imagine that's where his power comes from. Strong arm in LF.

2)Alonso is a great looking hitter. I can't wait to see him in Cincy. Defensively, he looked pretty damn bad with at least 2 passed balls. Votto wasn't great either, so hopefully he improves at 1st because he's not MLB quality right now. To have him and Votto in the lineup, with Bruce, all in their prime...this would be a blessing!!!

3)Leake (this will get me killed) kind of pitched like David Weathers. Outside breaking balls right on the edge of the plate. I suppose having a veteran air is a good thing, but he will not overpower hitters at all. He worked fast and looked effortless in locating 2-3 pitches. I don't see the #2 projection at first glance, but what do I know.

Thinking of the lineup, perhaps as early as June this year, it will have a lot of lefties if things go well. Specifically, if Alonso and Heisey emerge this is what I think we could see.

VS RHP

Stubbs
    Janish (Dusty's still king, now, remember)
    Votto LF
    Bruce
    Rolen
    Alonso 1b
    Phillips
    Hanigan

Why not switch Phillips and Janish though right?

VS LHP
    Heisey CF
    Janish
    Votto LF
    Phillips
    Rolen
    Bruce
    Alonso
    Hanigan

Who knows. I'm just getting excited for when a few of these prospects can start to help!

Turn Off Ads?