Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: WSJ: Baseball is slow and boring

Re: WSJ: Baseball is slow and boring

Quote Originally Posted by RedsBrick View Post
    I actually like hockey. I follow it on the outskirts. Those guys are fantastic athletes. They're strong, fast, with fantastic hand/eye coordination. Games are definitely not boring.

My point with hockey is that excitement doesn't always equal popularity.
    Okay, understood. No harm, no foul.

I'm actually an adopted hockey fan. The wife is a Montreal Canadiens backer who used to be a scholarship-level hockey goalie herself.

So yeah, I pretty much didn't have a choice.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Congrats. The few, the proud, the random hockey fan.
    Not everyone lives on your street.
    I've been to dinner at Jimmy Buffet's house, and I've eaten it at a homeless shelter. And there's great joy and harrowing terror to be found in both places.
    -Todd Snider

4. Likes:

IntheCards (07-16-2013)

I read the Wall Street Journal for the sports stories in much the same way I read the Sporting News for stock tips.
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

6. Likes:

IntheCards (07-16-2013)

EMAW

Anything is if you do not understand what's going on

I'd like to see their breakdown on soccer. The sport is pretty much constant action. No time outs, limited substitutions, and if a player gets a red card, his team has to play a man down for the rest of the game. Yet I suspect the WSJ will bring out the tired argument that there isn't enough scoring. Yet there is so much more to it than just scoring goals. Much like baseball, in which a 1-0 pitcher's duel can be just as exciting as a slugfest, a soccer match in which an underdog can pull off a key draw against a superior team can be just as tense and exciting as a 4-3 goal fest. And goals themselves can be some of the most beautiful moments in sport.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

9. Likes:

RedEye (07-13-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Big Klu View Post
    I read the Wall Street Journal for the sports stories in much the same way I read the Sporting News for stock tips.
    Once the Wall Street Journal sold out to Rupert Murdoch, I stopped caring what they had to say.

Stat geek...and proud

Quote Originally Posted by Norm Chortleton View Post
    Boring? No.
    Slow? Most definitely.

I also miss the days when Tom Browning would finish a game in 2 hours; and curse guys like Sean Casey and Jonny Gomes who took what seemed like minutes between pitches.

Something must be done to get games back in the 2:00 to 2:30 range. What? I don't know. But slow play is killing my other favorite game as well, golf.
    Why? Why is it such a major problem in baseball, according to the media, and not in football. The average NFL game is 3 hours...and college games can be even longer on a regular basis.

I love baseball...why would I want less of it?

12. Likes:

Revering4Blue (07-15-2013),TSJ55 (07-15-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by gilpdawg View Post
    Why? Why is it such a major problem in baseball, according to the media, and not in football. The average NFL game is 3 hours...and college games can be even longer on a regular basis.

I love baseball...why would I want less of it?
    Because my NFL team plays 1 football game per week. My college football team plays 1 game per week. My baseball team plays between 6 and 7 games per week. 21 hours a week to spend watching Reds games is a little much, IMO.

The only thing I like more than three hours of baseball involves taking a pill that if it lasts that long requires me to see a physician.

I work with a couple Indian guys who are huge cricket fans.

They think baseball teams go about it all wrong. Batters should just make contact and place the ball better. And defenses leave huge gaps in the OF.

One thinks baseball is boring but the other is a big Tigers fan. He lives up in Windsor Canada. Its kinda funny hear his accent. Canadian Indian.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Quote Originally Posted by 919191 View Post
    Not everyone lives on your street.
    So very true. My guess is the NHL wishes even fewer did so.

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    I work with a couple Indian guys who are huge cricket fans.

They think baseball teams go about it all wrong. Batters should just make contact and place the ball better. And defenses leave huge gaps in the OF.

One thinks baseball is boring but the other is a big Tigers fan. He lives up in Windsor Canada. Its kinda funny hear his accent. Canadian Indian.
    Cricket games in the 1800s could go on for days

to the general public baseball may be slow and boring but if I am not mistaken attendance and tv ratings are at all time high. At the end of the day the game is what is. If people dont like it then they dont like it. You cant force people to watch something. I dont really see what else they can do to attract an audience that accepts what the game is other than use a branding strategy targeted towards kids who can grasp on early and have a greater appreciation of the game.

Haunted by walks

The people who do the Woo could make themselves useful by counting down the 20 seconds the pitcher supposedly has to make a pitch.

20. Likes:

Revering4Blue (07-15-2013),westofyou (07-14-2013)

So very true. My guess is the NHL wishes even fewer did so.
    My guess is the NHL is just realizing that you don't have to rule in every market and appeal to every sports consumed out there to get by.

There always had to be a # 1 most popular sport, that's a given. I don't get the need of the NFL and NBA to try and market their product like a video game, and I despise MLBs attempt to make stuff out if nothing (home advantage from AS game) the NHL tried to be everything to everyone and that was a mistake, stick to your base... I grew up in Michigan hockey was important to us, we knew most people south of us didn't care, and we didn't care about that.

Turn Off Ads?