Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Unbreakable Baseball Records

Unbreakable Baseball Records

Inspired by a thread on another website, and using this http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_...ed_unbreakable as a jumping off point, what do you think is the baseball record least likely to ever be broken?

I just can't see anyone breaking Fernando Tatis' record for most grand slams hit in one inning. The man hit 2. Now imagine a scenario where someone could hit three in the same inning. No way

What say all of you?

2. Likes:

OGB (07-22-2013)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Unbreakable Baseball Records

Babe Ruth pitched thirteen shutout innings in Game 2 of the 1916 World Series, I'm going out on the limb and saying that a pitcher won't get the chance again in today's game.

5. Likes:

OGB (07-22-2013)

Most of the pitching records are untouchable.

7. Likes:

Donder (07-18-2013)

Johnny Vander Meer's back to back no hitters. Could possibly be tied, but don't think it will ever be broken.

Quote Originally Posted by RANDY IN INDY View Post
    Johnny Vander Meer's back to back no hitters. Could possibly be tied, but don't think it will ever be broken.
    I think it WILL be tied at some point but you're right, it won't be broken.

Probably not going to see 3 no hitters in a row either.

Along the more numerical records, I'd guess that Cy Young is safe with both his Win and his Loss total. I doubt we'll see anyoe top Hugh Duffy's .4397 BA or if 1900 and later is the thing Lajoie's .4265 (but heck, BA doesn't matter anyhow).
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Quote Originally Posted by New York Red View Post
    Most of the pitching records are untouchable.
    Due to the way that pitchers are coddled, I agree that most of the records for innings pitched (season, career, etc...) are simply untouchable.

However, as strong as hitters are today, I still cannot see any way that a starting pitcher will break Orel Hershiser's record for consecutive scoreless innings (59.0).

Ryans K record.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

Cy Young's 511 wins tops the list.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

14. Likes:

Donder (07-18-2013),Roy Tucker (07-18-2013),The DARK (07-19-2013)

56 game hitting streak
    73 home runs
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Jack Chesbro's 41 wins in a season. No one will ever win 30 again and maybe not even 25.

Cal Ripken's consecutive game streak.

Rickey Henderson's steals record for a season and career.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

17. Likes:

OGB (07-22-2013)

taking away the (mostly) obvious ones, I was going to mention Ryan's K record.

I'll also throw out ripken's playing streak. You figure most managers aren't going to worry about a possible consecutive game streak that could happen a decade + down the road, the likelyhood of an injury required a missed game or two is just way too high, that they're going to give an otherwise healthy player a day off here or there just to give them a mental day off.

19. Likes:

vaticanplum (07-18-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by NebraskaRed View Post
    I just can't see anyone breaking Fernando Tatis' record for most grand slams hit in one inning. The man hit 2. Now imagine a scenario where someone could hit three in the same inning. No way

What say all of you?
    Tatis' record for most grand slams in one inning *off of the same pitcher (Chan Ho Park)* will never be broken.

I believe it's possible, though highly unlikely, that a player could hit three grand slams in one inning. Teams have scored 12 or more runs in an inning a few times in MLB history. But no manager would ever, *ever* leave one pitcher in the game for that long, let alone allow him to face a guy who had just hit back-to-back grand slams.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

755 HR's...

4,256 hits will be a tough one.

22. Likes:

oneupper (07-19-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    Cy Young's 511 wins tops the list.
    This is the first one that always comes to mind for me. Let's say you average 20 wins a season for 25 consecutive years. You'd still have 12 wins to go before you top Cy.
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

24. Likes:

Always Red (07-18-2013),Bumstead (07-18-2013),cumberlandreds (07-19-2013),Donder (07-18-2013),New York Red (07-18-2013),Red Raindog (07-18-2013),remdog (07-18-2013),Roy Tucker (07-18-2013),Tom Servo (07-18-2013)

Turn Off Ads?