Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Good to see some of our players "calling out" teammates on bonehead plays.....

Good to see some of our players "calling out" teammates on bonehead plays.....

.....since Dusty WON'T EVER DO IT.

.....Cueto letting his anger at BP show for his failure to cover second quickly, spoiling an EASY double play

.....and I heard that Joey took a few teammates to task for not protecting him when he tried to catch a foul fly at our dugout area.

The team is actually starting to look like they WANT to COMPETE. It's a good thing there is some player leadership developing in this area, since Dusty is so neglectful there. If this keeps up we might actually have a chance of winning the division this year even with Dusty at the helm.

But then he might get an extension?!

Anyway, it's nice to see the Reds almost playing some proper baseball!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Good to see some of our players "calling out" teammates on bonehead plays.....

How do you protect someone trying to catch a foul ball?

Re: Good to see some of our players "calling out" teammates on bonehead plays.....

Protect them from falling down the dugout steps or doing a header over the dugout railing. Players are supposed to be ready to catch the fielder if they fall.

PS I heard it was Willie Harris and Hannigan who were asleep at the wheel.
    Last edited by smixsell; 05-08-2012 at 02:35 PM.

Dusty might not slam his players through the media, but it's pretty silly to think he doesn't say stuff to them in private.

Did we just become BFF's dubc47834's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Stray View Post
    Dusty might not slam his players through the media, but it's pretty silly to think he doesn't say stuff to them in private.
    You are right, I remember in BP was always getting fines also for not running out plays and being laxidasical, is that even a word LOL. I just don't think Dusty doesn't slam them in the media. Approach me like a man, and not thru the TV!!!!

If Baker was fining BP and lecturing him in private how did you hear about it? I am pretty sure Dusty spoke about that in John Fay's blog, in other words, in the media.

Millionaires need to be held accountable by being benched and/or called out about it before the whole team. Fines are joke.

Dusty's tenure here has proven that he doesn't EVER do the former, and the team's constant repetition of boneheaded plays last year strongly suggests that he seldom, if ever, does the latter.

It's good to see the players taking matters into their own hands by "calling out" teamates.

I don't like it when managers/coaches in any sport throw players under the bus. Dusty's approach isn't unique, most guys do it the same way. I don't know how we can criticize how things are handled when we really don't even know how they're handled.

Also, we don't make a ton of bonehead plays or anything. We'll have stretches of bad baseball like anyone, but bonehead plays? I don't think so.

I don't know how we can criticize how things are handled when we really don't even know how they're handled.
    On the other hand, I don't know how we can support how things are handled when we really don't even know how they're handled.

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    On the other hand, I don't know how we can support how things are handled when we really don't even know how they're handled.
    I'm not supporting any in house punishments, I have no idea what they are and how often they're handed out. I'm just saying that I like how we don't air our dirty laundry to the media.

We don't come off as a team with a lot of bad guys or non-team players. I don't see a lot of selfish baseball or bonehead plays, so I don't know how big of an issue it even is on our team.

Also, we don't make a ton of bonehead plays or anything. We'll have stretches of bad baseball like anyone, but bonehead plays? I don't think so.
    Wow. You either don't know baseball or haven't watched many Reds games the past 3 years.

Quote Originally Posted by dubc47834 View Post
    You are right, I remember in BP was always getting fines also for not running out plays and being laxidasical, is that even a word LOL. I just don't think Dusty doesn't slam them in the media. Approach me like a man, and not thru the TV!!!!

DUH. BP has still been making many those types of plays despite the many fines. That's the point of my post.

It's about time the guys who actually want to win badly enough to actually concentrate and play the game right for 9 innings (like Cueto and Votto) started "getting in peoples faces."

Quote Originally Posted by smixsell View Post
    Wow. You either don't know baseball or haven't watched many Reds games the past 3 years.
    2011 Team Errors: 91 (7th in MLB)
    2010 Team Errors: 72 (3rd in MLB)
    2009 Team Errors: 89 (12th in MLB)

How many games have you watched in the past 3 years?
    If evolution is outlawed, only outlaws will evolve!

Cueto obviously wasn't happy when no one covered second, but in no way was he getting in anyone's face or calling anyone out. Maybe it happened in the dugout afterward or in the locker room later, or whatever, but I haven't read anything about it.

I don't believe in confronting a teammate publicly. There's a time and place for that, and it isn't on the field or in front of cameras. There's a professional way of doing things and an unprofessional way of doing things. I'd prefer our players and coaches handle things professionally. Doing it any other way just creates chemistry issues.

Quote Originally Posted by smixsell View Post
    I'm pretty sure we're talking about two different things altogether. If it's poor execution I have no idea why you would want our manager to call a guy out to the media. That stuff is always going to be handled professionally.

If it's distractions, not being ready to play, hustle, or something along those lines I don't think that's a problem with this team. Isolated incidents sure, but I don't come away from that many games outta 162 thinking that the guys weren't trying. Outmatched sometimes, but still trying.

Turn Off Ads?