Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: TJ Friedl: Ceiling, ETA, Fit

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Re: TJ Friedl: Ceiling, ETA, Fit

Quote Originally Posted by redsof72 View Post
    You have kind of a combination of Dayton and Daytona with that lineup. Daytona outfield should be Crook, Reynoso, Medina, Shields and Sweet. Not sure on Senzel, and where he goes could effect where LaValley goes.
    LaValley ought to be at AA this year. He had a quiet .805 in the FSL last season.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by WrongVerb View Post
    LaValley ought to be at AA this year. He had a quiet .805 in the FSL last season.
    I think it will all depend on what they do with Senzel. You have a lot of guys playing the same positions. Corner guys in Pensacola could be Jagielo and Sparks. LaValley could go there. If Senzel goes there, LaValley probably won't.

BUMP.

Milb.com article on TJ Friedl learning to play all three outfield positions. https://www.milb.com/milb/news/reds-...48/t-185364810

5. Likes:

OhioRiverBarge (04-30-2017),REDREAD (04-27-2017)

TJ Friedl listed on BA's prospect hot sheet for this week, and rightfully so

http://www.baseballamerica.com/minor...lEd3tq121wG.97
    If somebody is gracious enough to give me a second chance, I won't need a third.
    - Pete Rose

7. Likes:

OhioRiverBarge (05-26-2017),OnBaseMachine (05-26-2017),REDREAD (05-27-2017)

Stud. He would be a comp round pick (or second rounder at the worst) if he was in the draft this year. We got him basically as a third-rounder (money-wise) last year.

Still one of the most unbelievable stories I've followed in a long time -- the fact that many people, including Friedl -- had no idea he was eligible for the draft.

Quote Originally Posted by Jordan View Post
    Stud. He would be a comp round pick (or second rounder at the worst) if he was in the draft this year. We got him basically as a third-rounder (money-wise) last year.
    Nice call. (Though I don't know about calling him a "stud."

All you can ask is that prospects improve, and he's absolutely done that.

His power is the most interesting (continuing) development, IMO. 320 ABs of 200+ Iso pop presage a much better prospect (a 30 grade according to MLB). It's tough to judge kids from Nevada (rarefied air), but he's shown above average pop-- 15th in the Midwest League after hitting very well in the Pioneer League the year before (SSS abound). I'd love to see a plus-gloved CF with solid tools to plus tools everywhere else.

Time to promote him and stick him on CF between Sweet and Crook. Let Trammell play CF between Beltre and Siri. The Reds need to be getting their next CF lined up. The clock is ticking on Billy Hamilton and there really isn't anyone above the Dayton kids who looks likely to be more than a fringe big leaguer.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

11. Likes:

Mitri (05-29-2017),REDREAD (05-30-2017),Tuff Nut (05-29-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    The clock is ticking on Billy Hamilton
    Is free agency in 2020 considered a ticking clock?

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bourgeois Zee View Post
    Is free agency in 2020 considered a ticking clock?
    It is if you believe the only replacements still have three minor league levels to play at before reaching the Majors.

Unless you believe the Reds plan on signing Billy to a LTC (which I do not) then the clock is definitely ticking. Only 2.5 years until he's a free agent. Although this year has been a pleasant surprise so far, I don't think the Reds will stay in the playoff hunt. So, that leaves 2018 and 2019 as years where the Reds might have a chance to contend before Billy reaches free agency.

Clock is definitely ticking.

If I'm the Reds, Hamilton is a guy I try to extend through his age 31 season. Same for Suarez.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

16. Likes:

REDREAD (05-30-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by WrongVerb View Post
    If I'm the Reds, Hamilton is a guy I try to extend through his age 31 season. Same for Suarez.
    Unless they plan on moving Suarez to SS or 2B, I don't see them offering him a LTC. The #1 prospect by far in the organization is a third baseman.

Unless they plan on moving Suarez to SS or 2B, I don't see them offering him a LTC. The #1 prospect by far in the organization is a third baseman.
    I don't believe anyone, even a top prospect, is a successful major leaguer until they actually are a successful major leaguer. That said, Senzel can and has in the past played 2nd base. Or in two years, Suarez can be traded with multiple years of control left. Or Senzel can be moved. With baseball players, you really have to take a bird in the hand approach.

If you believe Suarez is worth signing long term you sign him and figure it out later. If we don't sign based on a belief in Senzel then we lose out on a good player or the chance to have two good players in the line up together and make this team better.

20. Likes:

REDREAD (05-30-2017),SirFelixCat (05-30-2017),WrongVerb (05-29-2017)

Suarez can play 3B, 2B, SS and LF.
    Senzel can play 3B, 2B and LF.

A long term contract for Suarez does not affect Senzel in the least.

22. Likes:

REDREAD (05-30-2017)

Turn Off Ads?