Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The return on Aurilia?

The return on Aurilia?

If I researched it correctly, the Reds received two compensation picks for Aurilia signing with San Francisco. These were the 34th and 104th picks in the draft. These picks turned into Todd Frazier and Scott Carroll. It is probably way too early to tell on these two prospects - although Frazier looked impressive and Carroll holds promise. My question is simple. If the Reds were to have dealt Aurilia in a deadline deal in 2006, do you think they would have received better prospects? I understand there is alot of projecting to be done here, but I am just curious as to what anyone out there thinks.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: The return on Aurilia?

I think Frazier will become a top 5 Reds prospect shortly. Therefore, I would say we did the right thing. Carroll is a mystery kind of. A friend of mine played at PSU the past 4 years, and didn't give an overwhelming scouting report for him. But I do think we did the right thing.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Yes we did the right thing. I don't think Aurilia, if traded would have brought back a prospect the quality of Todd Frazier. The fact that we also ended up with Scott Carroll is a bonus.

Frazier profiles a lot like Aurilia, doesn't he? Or more power?
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

More patience, more power, if things go well.

I really like the way Aurillia benerfited the Reds. He played well when here, and he gave us a solid return when he left.
    If you can't build a winning team with that core a fire-sale isn't the solution. Selling the franchise, moving them to Nashville and converting GABP into a used car lot is.
    -LTlabner

Quote Originally Posted by AvesIce51 View Post
    I think Frazier will become a top 5 Reds prospect shortly. Therefore, I would say we did the right thing. Carroll is a mystery kind of. A friend of mine played at PSU the past 4 years, and didn't give an overwhelming scouting report for him. But I do think we did the right thing.
    Scott Carroll went to Missouri St. If you are talking about the pitcher we drafted from Penn St., that was Andrew O'Neil and he wasn't signed. Scott Gaffney also went to Penn St., but I think he was a SS there.

Quote Originally Posted by Xavier Redleg View Post
    Scott Gaffney also went to Penn St., but I think he was a SS there.
    That's who I was thinking of. My bad. He was an IF and P there. Now a P with us.

Quote Originally Posted by GoReds33 View Post
    I really like the way Aurillia benerfited the Reds. He played well when here, and he gave us a solid return when he left.

He will forever be loved by Puffy that is for damn sure
    2006 Redzone mock Draftee's- 1(st) Daniel Bard(redsox), 1(st sup)( Jordan Walden (Angels), 2(nd) rd.- Zach Britton(Orioles), 3(rd) Blair Erickson(Cardinals), 3(rd) Tim Norton( Yankees),(cuz its a Tim Hortons thing

Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory... lasts forever.

I think there's no way Aurilia would have brought in a prospect of Frazier's value. Even in Aurilia's prime, I'm not sure he could have brought in Frazier and Carroll. (I'm not an Aurilia hater, btw.)

Quote Originally Posted by Topcat View Post
    He will forever be loved by Puffy that is for damn sure
    Hold on now, Puffy loathed Joe Randa, I loathed Aurilia before anyone else did
    Go Gators!

From what I saw of Aurilia tonight, he is a PH-1B hitting .246 with the Giants now. I am sure the Reds are glad that they got the draft picks for Aurilia now, as he seems to be on the downside of his career.

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    If I researched it correctly, the Reds received two compensation picks for Aurilia signing with San Francisco. These were the 34th and 104th picks in the draft. These picks turned into Todd Frazier and Scott Carroll. It is probably way too early to tell on these two prospects - although Frazier looked impressive and Carroll holds promise. My question is simple. If the Reds were to have dealt Aurilia in a deadline deal in 2006, do you think they would have received better prospects? I understand there is alot of projecting to be done here, but I am just curious as to what anyone out there thinks.

Which brings up the question...wouldn't you want to get another Todd Frazier simply by letting Hatteberg go?
    Rob Neyer: "Any writer who says he'd be a better manager than the worst manager is either 1) lying (i.e. 'using poetic license') or 2) patently delusional. Which isn't to say managers don't do stupid things that you or I wouldn't."

Quote Originally Posted by Eric_Davis View Post
    Which brings up the question...wouldn't you want to get another Todd Frazier simply by letting Hatteberg go?
    Personally, I would do it in a heartbeat. Unfortunately, I think it would involve declining Hatteberg's option and then offering him arbitration (which he must decline), and I don't know how likely that is of happening.

it's a lot cheaper to make a deal for prospects-- you save the remainder of the vet's salary plus the signing bonus for the picks. so the difference is whether you're better off with, say, Frazier, or better off with a prospect from another org plus a LOT of cash. That money can be thrown into the draft or into overseas program. Maybe it's even enough for 10 or more Latin players. you also know a lot more about how the acquisitions will hit with or pitch against wood bats.

of course, there's often a reason why a team is willing to dangle certain players. You often receive a guy that has problems that scouts don't see, including questionable work habits, coachability problems, problems with outside influences. On the other hand, you can very easily draft a kid with the same problems, and there's a better grapevine in the minors than in the amateur ranks.

Turn Off Ads?