Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: who's in left?

Re: who's in left?

Quote Originally Posted by Mario-Rijo View Post

Right at this moment it's Dickerson, Stubbs, Bruce, Balentein and Taveras out there.

I agree. If spring training started tomorrow, the expected outfield would be Bruce in RF, Stubbs in CF, Dickerson/Balentien platoon in LF. Taveras would be fifth outfielder.

Heisey, Francisco or Dorn would be rookie outsiders looking in. If somebody falters or is injured, one of them would probably get a spot.

If the Reds find a taker for Taveras, then a spot will open up. It will go to Heisey, Francisco, or Dorn. Or it will go to a journeyman outfielder picked up off the inexpensive free agent/non-tender list.

That is the outfield story unless the Reds do something unusual like acquiring a starting LF or moving Votto to left.
    Last edited by Kc61; 12-13-2009 at 11:51 AM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    I agree. If spring training started tomorrow, the expected outfield would be Bruce in RF, Stubbs in CF, Dickerson/Balentien platoon in LF. Taveras would be fifth outfielder.

Heisey and Francisco would be rookie outsiders looking in. If somebody falters or is injured, one of them would probably get a spot.

If the Reds find a taker for Taveras, then a spot will open up. It will go to Heisey or Francisco. Or it will go to a journeyman outfielder picked up off the inexpensive free agent/non-tender list.

That is the outfield story unless the Reds do something unusual like acquiring a starting LF or moving Votto to left.
    Or Francisco could make the team with his ability to play 3B and 1B while being added to the OF mix. His IF experience would allow the Reds to drop either Rosales or Sutton to AAA.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Or Francisco could make the team with his ability to play 3B and 1B while being added to the OF mix. His IF experience would allow the Reds to drop either Rosales or Sutton to AAA.
    Yes, and Sutton himself plays some outfield. I was talking about the primary outfielders, the guys listed as outfielders on the Roster. Right now, it's the list of five guys from Mario-Rijo's post.

My guess is that there will be player moves to change the mix, but I wouldn't be shocked to see Bruce, Stubbs, Dickerson, Balentien and Taveras open spring training.

Effectively, Balentien would take over Gomes' spot.

I think there is a chance that we could see a platoon of Stubbs and Tevaras in center with Tevaras getting the bulk of the early playing time and a platoon of Stubbs, Dickerson and Balentien in LF.

MTH, KC, do you have any thoughts like I do that we might not see Bruce in right field at times against left handed pitching and that they might slide one of the other fleet of foot in the RF corner against left handed starters?
    Last edited by Spring~Fields; 12-13-2009 at 12:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Spring~Fields View Post
    I think there is a chance that we could see a platoon of Stubbs and Tevaras in center with Tevaras getting the bulk of the early playing time and a platoon of Stubbs, Dickerson and Balentien in LF.

MTH, KC, do you have any thoughts like I do that we might not see Bruce in right field at times against left handed pitching and that they might slide one of the other fleet of foot in the RF corner against left handed starters?
    I think Bruce plays every day. Maybe drops in the lineup against lefties.

If the Reds stick with the current guys, there will be a lot of pressure on Bruce and other young players to perform. Gomes added a professional bat to the team. In September, Gomes hit seventh several times and it was a much more potent lineup.

Right now, the Reds have a very young outfield and guys like Bruce and Balentien will have to hit or the team will have the same offensive problems as last year.

Francisco may have no problem playing 1st but before he's counted as a backup 1st baseman it might be a good idea to get him some experience at 1st.

How about this idea? Go ahead and move Votto to LF now and sign a 1B on the cheap. Talk about a glutted market. Nick Johnson, Aubrey Huff, Carlos Delgado, Jason Giambi, Jack Cust, Russell Branyan, Hank Blalock, Ryan Garko, Adam Laroche, Jim Thome, Chad Tracy. There are more of those out there than spots available and just about any one of them would instantly be the team's 2nd best bat. If the Reds can get one on the cheap on a one year deal, then the production is supplemented and the move is out of the way by the time Alonso arrives.

It also settles the matter and makes guys like Heisey and Francisco clear trade bait to get more pitching or help up the middle at C or SS. Maybe a lefty to platoon with Heisey in 2010 with Votto moving between LF and 1B to ease the transition and give one of the older (Del Gado, Giambi, Thome), more brittle (Tracy, Johnson, Blalock) or just big split guys (Laroche, Branyan) ample and/or appropriate time off. Of course its Cincy, so we'll have to take the left-over who can't hook-on to limit the cost and get them to come here.
    this is a great idea. find a guy who can fill in for a year at 1B while Alonso plays in AAA. as you stated most of these guys would be one of the best bats on the team.

IMO Heisey will be wasted in LF or RF. if he can play CF he needs to be in CF. i don't think his bat will be good enough to play a corner. looking around the majors there are tons of teams who need a true centerfielder. he should have
    value to the Reds in trade than as a left fielder.

Now, will Walt do this? suspect not. is it me or are the Reds really creativity challenged?

Just saw this on mlbtraderumors:

•Within a piece which focuses on yesterday's non-tender decisions, ESPN.com's Buster Olney mentions that a handful of clubs are interested in Brian Giles, including the Yankees and Reds. It's still up in the air whether teams will be willing to offer Giles more than a minor league contract.

If that's true then they didn't let Gomes go because of a "youth movement".

Quote Originally Posted by redsfandan View Post
    Just saw this on mlbtraderumors:

•Within a piece which focuses on yesterday's non-tender decisions, ESPN.com's Buster Olney mentions that a handful of clubs are interested in Brian Giles, including the Yankees and Reds. It's still up in the air whether teams will be willing to offer Giles more than a minor league contract.

If that's true then they didn't let Gomes go because of a "youth movement".
    of course the Reds are interested in Giles this year. He had a sub 600 OPS last year, he'd fit right in.

If they sign Giles, there is NO plan.

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    of course the Reds are interested in Giles this year. He had a sub 600 OPS last year, he'd fit right in.

He would fit right in with Wily T and Rolen.

Glory Days....We would be paying players for great stats a couple of years ago and then hoping they recreate them.
    "Even a bad day at the ballpark beats the snot out of most other good days. I'll take my scorecard and pencil and beer and hot dog and rage at the dips and cheer at the highs, but I'm not ever going to stop loving this game and this team and nobody will ever take that away from me." Roy Tucker October 2010

Quote Originally Posted by Will M View Post
    this is a great idea. find a guy who can fill in for a year at 1B while Alonso plays in AAA. as you stated most of these guys would be one of the best bats on the team.

IMO Heisey will be wasted in LF or RF. if he can play CF he needs to be in CF. i don't think his bat will be good enough to play a corner. looking around the majors there are tons of teams who need a true centerfielder. he should have
    value to the Reds in trade than as a left fielder.

Now, will Walt do this? suspect not. is it me or are the Reds really creativity challenged?
    Personally, I'd keep Heisey and platoon him with Dickerson in CF and cash in on Stubbs impersonation of Joe Dimaggio. I doubt Stubbs hits like that going forward.

I lke Stubbs though. I just think they could get a lot for him and the production wouldn't drop that much with the other two.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Personally, I'd keep Heisey and platoon him with Dickerson in CF and cash in on Stubbs impersonation of Joe Dimaggio. I doubt Stubbs hits like that going forward.

I lke Stubbs though. I just think they could get a lot for him and the production wouldn't drop that much with the other two.
    this is ok too.

Very soon Walt needs to decide Stubbs vs Hesiey and Alonso vs Francisco. Then move the one he doesn't want for real value to help the team. Cashing in your prospect chips is an art. Not too soon but definitely not too late.

Has there ever been a plan? Whether or not they sign Giles, this organization is pretty clueless. I've never been so apathetic towards the Reds as I am right now.
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Will M View Post
    this is ok too.

Very soon Walt needs to decide Stubbs vs Hesiey and Alonso vs Francisco. Then move the one he doesn't want for real value to help the team. Cashing in your prospect chips is an art. Not too soon but definitely not too late.
    I am fairly certain Stubbs/Heisey has long been decided. Stubbs is the guy who will be in CF because his glove is among the best in baseball.

I think that's an overstatement. I could see Giles as the fifth outfielder if Taveras goes elsewhere. Giles could also be a lefty pinch hitter.

Every player on the team can't be a young prospect. And prospects generally need to play every day. I'd rather have a veteran getting limited bench and pinch hit time.

I agree that Giles as a starter, even a platoon starter, would be a puzzling move.

Turn Off Ads?