Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Colin Cowherd picked Cincinnati to win the World Series

Re: Colin Cowherd picked Cincinnati to win the World Series

Aw shucks, thanks Matt and Cy. Put another tick in "W" column for craft beer and baseball!

2. Turn Off Ads?
    The Future is Now Ghosts of 1990's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TSJ55 View Post
    Colin Cowherd is the Bud Light to Jim Rome's Budweiser. Very weak and watered down version of something that's not any good to begin with.
    Disagree. Colin is controversial, but Rome's canned, scripted, rehearsed takes were old in 2002.
    2009 Attendance Record: 3-5 2010 Attendance Record: 2-9 2015 Attendance Record: 2-0
    2011 Attendance Record: 3-4 2012 Attendance Record: 3-4
    2013 Attendance Record: 5-2 2014 Attendance Record: 3-1

4. Likes:

redsfanmia (02-19-2013),Revering4Blue (02-19-2013)

Can anyone find the audio or at least tell me which day on his show Colin predicted this?
    2009 Attendance Record: 3-5 2010 Attendance Record: 2-9 2015 Attendance Record: 2-0

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ghosts of 1990 View Post
    Can anyone find the audio or at least tell me which day on his show Colin predicted this?
    Yesterday.

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

Funny, as I recall it was just 2 years ago that Cowlick said he didn't even know who Joey Votto was.
    sorry we're boring

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Yesterday.
    Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Always Red View Post
    Funny, as I recall it was just 2 years ago that Cowlick said he didn't even know who Joey Votto was.
    Yea, and people got all over him for it. He electrified the Cincinnati market back in those days and gained listeners and interest. If you listen to him year round, he does that from time to time. He'll pick on a fan base for something he probably doesn't have much conviction for and he does it to generate listeners. It's low-hanging fruit to get more listeners but it works.

He picks on Cam Newton incessantly.... Cam is as elite as it gets IMHO. Same thing as Votto, or at least a comparable situation and fan base.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Thank you.
    Yeah, I try to avoid his show, but I turned it on during the drive to lunch because it beat "oldies lunch" that every station around here does.

Worth The Wait

I am actually a big Cowherd fan--- not of him personally per se or all of his takes, but I love his show. He is very well prepare daily and always has something to say. He will say a lot of things that other hosts won't.

Today he was talking about the image of the NBA an how he believes there are racial undertones from the fans and media in regards to how the league is perceived. I agree with most of where he was going with it-- most talk show hosts won't even go there and unlike a guy like Skip Bayless, I don't think Cowherd says stuff he doesn't believe just to get a rise out of people.

Cowherd is very, very smart. He knows marketing and he knows his audience. He is also exceedingly arrogant, which leaves a bad taste for many fans. But his show is good.

Worth The Wait

Yea, and people got all over him for it. He electrified the Cincinnati market back in those days and gained listeners and interest. If you listen to him year round, he does that from time to time. He'll pick on a fan base for something he probably doesn't have much conviction for and he does it to generate listeners. It's low-hanging fruit to get more listeners but it works.

He picks on Cam Newton incessantly.... Cam is as elite as it gets IMHO. Same thing as Votto, or at least a comparable situation and fan base.
    He's all over Pacers fans right now.... Horrible attendance despite being one of the ten best teams in the league.

Quote Originally Posted by Edskin View Post
    I am actually a big Cowherd fan--- not of him personally per se or all of his takes, but I love his show. He is very well prepare daily and always has something to say. He will say a lot of things that other hosts won't.

Today he was talking about the image of the NBA an how he believes there are racial undertones from the fans and media in regards to how the league is perceived. I agree with most of where he was going with it-- most talk show hosts won't even go there and unlike a guy like Skip Bayless, I don't think Cowherd says stuff he doesn't believe just to get a rise out of people.

Cowherd is very, very smart. He knows marketing and he knows his audience. He is also exceedingly arrogant, which leaves a bad taste for many fans. But his show is good.
    I agree with this. Whether or not you like him, he takes a different perspective on most issues than anybody else in sports. And he almost always has a good reason to hold that view, even if he's wrong. I hated what he said in 2010 about the Reds, but, as it turned out, he wasn't wrong. He was wrong about Votto though and he's admitted that he was way off.

Also, Colin actually likes the Reds. He talks about how he grew up a huge fan of the BRM. They're not a team that he fawns over like USC, but he still roots for them.

14. Likes:

Revering4Blue (02-19-2013)

For the most part I like Cowherd. More than anything else, he is honest in his takes and backs them up. He has long talked about how on a national show he needs to talk about the national teams. He couldn't do an hour long segment on the Reds because most of his listeners don't care.

I don't think he is very knowledgeable when it comes to baseball. He knows his stuff when he talks football or basketball (I don't listen to the NBA stuff). But when it comes to baseball he doesn't know much outside of what Buster Yankee talks about.

Worth The Wait

Cowherds wheelhouse is the NFL, college football, and the NBA. He knows it and that's where he focuses most of his attention. And not coincidentally, those are the three sports that get the best ratings and generate the most buzz nationally.

MLB to me is now like a super-sized version of the NHL.... It is wildly popular in certain segments and cities, but it has lost its grip nationally. Cowherd hosts a national show and he plays to the masses.

17. Likes:

Revering4Blue (02-19-2013)

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

Cowherd hosts a national show and he plays to the masses.
    Once I understood and remembered that his show was not about the actual knowledge and intelligent discussion of the games and sport, but pandering to his mostly east coast and west coast audience, then I understood his penchant for ticking off fan bases of midwestern teams not based in Chicago.

It's showbiz. Armed with that knowledge, I can actually listen to him once a month or so, and like doug said above, he's better than some of the dreck on radio around these parts.
    sorry we're boring

Turn Off Ads?