Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Pelini resigns immedaitely from FAU

Pelini resigns immedaitely from FAU

Anyone else following this story? Unbelievable.

Quote Originally Posted by FAU Athletic director Pat Chun;
    It is with profound disappointment and sadness that I announce the resignation of Florida Atlantic University Head Football Coach Carl Pelini and Defensive Coordinator Pete Rekstis. They tendered their resignations to me late this morning after I confronted both coaches with reports relating to their use of illegal drugs.

On Monday, I was made aware of these concerns and I immediately reported the allegations to our General Counsel. The University acted quickly and decisively to follow up and take action that is in the best interests of our student-athletes and the University overall.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...with-marijuana
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Pelini resigns immedaitely from FAU

The fact that marijuana is still illegal is amazing to me.
    There are no hunting accidents...It's called kharma.

4. Likes:

westofyou (10-31-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Red Buckeye View Post
    This.

Shocked that FAU still has a football program.
    Go Gators!

Wonder what would have happened if he got a DUI?
    "In our sundown perambulations of late, through the outer parts of Brooklyn, we have observed several parties of youngsters playing 'base', a certain game of ball. Let us go forth awhile, and get better air in our lungs. Let us leave our close rooms, the game of ball is glorious"
    -Walt Whitman

If players are getting tested for it and a positive test gets them suspended, then the coach probably shouldn't be allowed to do it.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

9. Likes:

Sea Ray (10-31-2013),wolfboy (10-31-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Red Buckeye View Post
    The fact that it is still illegal is amazing to me; the fact that employers don't want their employees smoking it isn't.
    How do we know he's not Mel Torme?

11. Likes:

New York Red (10-31-2013),Revering4Blue (10-31-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by wolfboy View Post
    The fact that it is still illegal is amazing to me; the fact that employers don't want their employees smoking it isn't.
    I think that is a fair take.

Employers don't want employees high on the job. Makes sense. But they don't want them drunk either--they simply don't want their employees intoxicated in any form. So I'm not really sure why a line should be drawn between the two.

I assumed employers still test for it because it is a federally controlled substance. For example, medical marijuana is legal in my state, but my employer will not recognize that as a valid excuse for a positive test in a drug test as long as it is illegal at the federal level. A person with this company could have cancer and use it during chemotherapy and still lose their job--seems pretty messed up to me...

13. Likes:

CoachBombay (10-31-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    I think that is a fair take.

Employers don't want employees high on the job. Makes sense. But they don't want them drunk either--they simply don't want their employees intoxicated in any form. So I'm not really sure why a line should be drawn between the two.

I assumed employers still test for it because it is a federally controlled substance. For example, medical marijuana is legal in my state, but my employer will not recognize that as a valid excuse for a positive test in a drug test as long as it is illegal at the federal level. A person with this company could have cancer and use it during chemotherapy and still lose their job--seems pretty messed up to me...
    An employer has a right to choose its employees just like an employee has the right to choose his/her employer. Although tobacco isn't a federally controlled substance, many employers have chosen not to hire tobacco users. Likewise, they have the right not to hire drinkers. Personally, I think across the board characterizations make little sense to the employer. Each employee is different; some drinkers are drunks, some are not; some smoke casually (tobacco or otherwise), some allow it interfere with work. Evaluate accordingly.

But the conversation is quite different when you're talking about the coach of a college team. As someone else mentioned, players get suspended for pot use, and coaches should be held to the same standard. Arguably, the standard should be higher because the coach is the leader; he sets the example.

I wanna do marijuana

An employer has a right to choose its employees just like an employee has the right to choose his/her employer. Although tobacco isn't a federally controlled substance, many employers have chosen not to hire tobacco users. Likewise, they have the right not to hire drinkers. Personally, I think across the board characterizations make little sense to the employer. Each employee is different; some drinkers are drunks, some are not; some smoke casually (tobacco or otherwise), some allow it interfere with work. Evaluate accordingly.

But the conversation is quite different when you're talking about the coach of a college team. As someone else mentioned, players get suspended for pot use, and coaches should be held to the same standard. Arguably, the standard should be higher because the coach is the leader; he sets the example.
    I agree with that. Employees are aware of their employer's drug policy when they sign on, and although the policy is discouraging it's not like there isn't full disclosure.

Do I think athletes should be tested for it? Nope. But as long as they are I can't disagree with your second part either...

I can understand that but if he was doing this off campus and not during work hours, besides the illegality of it, what's the difference between smoking some weed and stopping off at a bar for some drinks?
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    I can understand that but if he was doing this off campus and not during work hours, besides the illegality of it, what's the difference between smoking some weed and stopping off at a bar for some drinks?
    That's a question for his employer, not me. I see little difference.

Turn Off Ads?