Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 67 FirstFirst 12345671353 ... LastLast

Thread: University of Kentucky Basketball

Re: University of Kentucky Basketball

Quote Originally Posted by WilyMoROCKS View Post
    Why would anyone want to come work for a University that got rid of their coach after only 2 seasons?

I don't think folks--not you in particular, Mac--fully appreciate how disastrous it would be for our program if Billy were to leave or get fired after only 2 years on the job both in attracting top-notch coaching candidates and UK's reputation with recruits nationwide.
    You're right, and I do know that. The only way I'd let BG go would now be to have a secret handshake deal lined up with his successor. I certainly wouldn't fire him and go out on a cold search at this point. As you said, the reception might be bitter cold out there.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by macro View Post
    You're right, and I do know that. The only way I'd let BG go would now be to have a secret handshake deal lined up with his successor. I certainly wouldn't fire him and go out on a cold search at this point. As you said, the reception might be bitter cold out there.
    That takes care of the coaching problem, but you still have recruits to deal with. Even if we woke up the day after our NIT life ends and its all over ESPN that Kentucky has a deal in place with Jamie Dixon, Jeff Capel, whoever and Gillispie is on his way out, it is still going to be disastrous keeping recruits in check.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Unless you get another name coach to succeed him. Think of it this way: John Calipari agrees, after contacting Atheltic Director Barhardt, to a 10-year, $50 million contract. (Plus shoe, television, and radio boosters.) (Why? I don't know. Perhaps he wants to be on the biggest stage in college basketball. Perhaps he's tired of winning 30 games a year and being considered a second tier program. Perhaps he knows he probably won't win a NCAA championship without the perfect storm of talent, luck, and overall mediocrity that was present two years ago and that Memphis needs more luck than others. Perhaps he likes horses and wants to become a Kentucky Derby media darling, complete with mint julep, cool straw hat, and seer sucker linen suit on the first Saturday of May. Regardless, assume the interest.)

Think Hood wouldn't be interested? Sure he would. So would Wall, BTW. As would others.

Recruiting is about the coach, sure. But it's also about the school. And Kentucky has gotten (and lost) many, many recruits simply because of the perception and reality of the university itself.

Fact or fiction: there was no bracket printed in today's Lexington Herald-Leader?
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498 View Post
    Fact or fiction: there was no bracket printed in today's Lexington Herald-Leader?
    Not even an NIT bracket?

Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498 View Post
    Both NIT and NCAA were in todays. But I don't think they were in yesterdays.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Here's an NIT pickem contest. Yes,it's true there actually is one but no money to be won.

http://thedirtroad.net/nit/
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Kentucky has gone 30 years in-between NIT appearances. I wonder if that's a record?

Kentucky has gone 30 years in-between NIT appearances. I wonder if that's a record?
    I don't know if its a record but I'm sure I hadn't looked at a complete NIT bracket since 1979. I can actually remember the last time UK played in it. They played Clemson at Rupp and lost by one point.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

part of BBN

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    I don't know if its a record but I'm sure I hadn't looked at a complete NIT bracket since 1979. I can actually remember the last time UK played in it. They played Clemson at Rupp and lost by one point.
    Wasnt that the year after the championship ? Fred Cowan, Lavon Williams and co.

Quote Originally Posted by rocko View Post
    Wasnt that the year after the championship ? Fred Cowan, Lavon Williams and co.
    I don't remember the players, but yes, it was the year after the title. Only 40 teams made up the NCAA field that year, so I don't know if UK would have made a 64-team field or not.

UK won the NIT in 1976, when only 32 teams made the NCAA. Weren't there only like six or eight at-large bids at that time? I'm thinking that you had to either win your conference or be ranked Top 20 (it was a Top 20 at that time) to get in the NCAA tournament.

part of BBN

I don't remember the players, but yes, it was the year after the title. Only 40 teams made up the NCAA field that year, so I don't know if UK would have made a 64-team field or not.

UK won the NIT in 1976, when only 32 teams made the NCAA. Weren't there only like six or eight at-large bids at that time? I'm thinking that you had to either win your conference or be ranked Top 20 (it was a Top 20 at that time) to get in the NCAA tournament.
    I think Kyle Macy was a senior on that team also but my memory gets foggy after those 3.

Quote Originally Posted by rocko View Post
    I think Kyle Macy was a senior on that team also but my memory gets foggy after those 3.
    Actually, Macy graduated a year later, in 1980.

BTW, I don't think it's been mentioned that UK will play its first game in Memorial since 1976.

If Kentucky keeps this up with the turnovers, not only will the season be over with, but they could set the record.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Memorial Coliseum blows Rupp Arena away in terms of loudness and atmosphere.

Turn Off Ads?