Turn Off Ads?
Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Cardinals are luckiest team in baseball.

Re: Cardinals are luckiest team in baseball.

Quote Originally Posted by SpiritofStLouis View Post
    Whenever you have to leave your feet, it's at least a fairly difficult play. Having said that, Ankiel should have had it (perhaps if he had his own glove, instead of a pitcher's).

Yes, the Cardinals got some breaks, but so did the Mets. The line drive that Beltran missed in the 2nd inning, he went from the shade directly into the sun just as the ball arrived. He makes that catch, the Mets don't score.

The Cardinals should decline to play the national TV game if they have to start at 6:10, the sun is unbearable.
    I did not see that play, so I will retract my statement that they were fortunate to win the game.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by CardsFanBob View Post
    I don't want to disrespect a solid board based for Reds fans by starting a separate Cards thread, so I figure I'd throw it in here...

What a win? Solid in all respects, even after the rough patch(es) Lynn and the defense had.

And the bullpen is really starting to come together.

Though, I have to say, I have no idea what Matheny is doing with these pitch counts. It's reminding me of Dusty during his Cubbie days. We're going to have a bunch of dead armed starters by September if he keeps letting guys throw 120+ pitches every outing.
    I don't think the Cardinals are in first place because of luck, but I thought that game last night stunk. The go ahead run came off of a ball flying off of the pitcher's foot, barf. Wigginton would not have even been on base if it wasn't for Ankiel wearing a pitcher's glove (this is major league baseball isn't it? why would they play this man when he doesn't have his own equipment with him?) Then Holliday hit a 2 run bomb off of some old dude that looks like a used car salesman.

They brought up somebody from the minors...and he has shut out the Mets for 3 innings. I think it is Red Barrett or Larry Jaster......might as well be anyways since it does not seem to matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Cloninger View Post
    They brought up somebody from the minors...and he has shut out the Mets for 3 innings. I think it is Red Barrett or Larry Jaster......might as well be anyways since it does not seem to matter.
    It's the Mets...since starting the season 7-4, the Mets have gone 7-17. They're terrible, maybe as bad as the Marlins.

Quote Originally Posted by Beltway View Post
    It's the Mets...since starting the season 7-4, the Mets have gone 7-17. They're terrible, maybe as bad as the Marlins.
    You are right. And this luck thing. This can apply to the Yankees.

I mean....if there is team I detest it is them. How in the holy heck can they continue winning with what they are trotting out there? Look at the 2nd game of DH and who their lineup had on BR....it is unreal. Hafner reminds me of how Berkman all of a sudden got healthy and decided to get fit....and just like that he is fine. If I was an Angels or Indians fan I would be wondering "Oh Now you want to get in shape and start playing baseball again?"

The Cards rookie pitcher just gave up 4 runs, but the Cards had already scored 9.

Quote Originally Posted by Beltway View Post
    The Cards rookie pitcher just gave up 4 runs, but the Cards had already scored 9.
    The Cardinals botched a rundown with a catcher running and 2 outs, or it would have been 1.

Nice to see the team finally starting to hit. It's about time.
    We can share the women, we can share the wine.

Carlos Martinez comes in and strikes out the side, hitting 100 on the gun a couple times. Not often you see a kid throw that hard, but it's not his best pitch.

Not bad for a 21 year old.

To me, the pleasant surprise of the year for the Cardinals is Matt Carpenter. With Shelby Miller, we knew he had top of the rotation talent. I never in a million years would have thought Matt Carpenter would be leading all 2B in WAR according to fangraphs. I don't see this pace continuing but it still represents more production at 2B than the Cardinals have seen the past couple of years. Certainly better than the .2 WAR Daniel Descalso put up last year.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeThierry View Post
    To me, the pleasant surprise of the year for the Cardinals is Matt Carpenter. With Shelby Miller, we knew he had top of the rotation talent. I never in a million years would have thought Matt Carpenter would be leading all 2B in WAR according to fangraphs. I don't see this pace continuing but it still represents more production at 2B than the Cardinals have seen the past couple of years. Certainly better than the .2 WAR Daniel Descalso put up last year.
    I agree, even the most optimistic Cardinal fan couldn't have seen the production the team has gotten from MCarp, especially on defense.

I have to admit, I thought putting him at 2B would weaken the bench to the point that the trade off wouldn't be worth it, and that he would keep a seat warm at 2B until Wong arrives.

Now it looks like Wong might be looking for a utility roster spot or staying in Memphis a bit longer. Speaking of Memphis, I like what I'm seeing from Jackson so far (.372 after tonight).

^Has this become a Cards board? Why do we have game run downs going on here? I dont mind Cards fans here and discussing baseball in general, an outside view at times, but geez, do we need play by pay?
    UNC Tar Heels 2017 National Champions 6 time NCAA Champs!!!
    57, 82, 93, 05, 09, 17
    Go Heels!!!!!

Could the cards success be because of a well run organization and not luck? Hmmm? Maybe if we as reds fans would be secure and confident enough in our team and not start how lucky the Cards are threads we wouldn't be subject to so much cards talk.

http://m.nypost.com/p/sports/mets/ca...kb8WUDl3ad2NaI

Quote Originally Posted by bounty37h View Post
    ^Has this become a Cards board? Why do we have game run downs going on here? I dont mind Cards fans here and discussing baseball in general, an outside view at times, but geez, do we need play by pay?
    Agreed, it's obnoxious. My favorites are the discussions about how amazing Shelby Miller and Trevor Rosenthal are.

Also: Pete Kozma has a slightly better WAR through 40 games so he is a more talented player.

Maybe we should just get it over with and make a Cardinals sub-forum ON A CINCINNATI REDS MESSAGE BOARD!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by bounty37h View Post
    No offense meant, but you guys started the thread. We're just discussing our team in it. In theory, we could start a bunch of new threads here, because nothing -- outside of monitors -- is stopping us.

It's the nature of a rivalry. I'd embrace it.

Quote Originally Posted by CardsFanBob View Post
    No offense meant, but you guys started the thread. We're just discussing our team in it. In theory, we could start a bunch of new threads here, because nothing -- outside of monitors -- is stopping us.

It's the nature of a rivalry. I'd embrace it.
    Do Reds and Cubs fans really post on your cardinals board? Do you post on your cardinals board? Is there a cardinals board?

I just honestly find it odd you guys all post here. Are the Cardinals boards really that bad?

Turn Off Ads?