Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Just for fun: You be the GM...

Just for fun: You be the GM...

Angels offer Trout for Votto straight up...yay or nay?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Just for fun: You be the GM...

That's an easy yes.

Pujol's and Trout for Votto and Hamilton

You do that?

I don't

Salukifan2

Quote Originally Posted by bigfunguy View Post
    Angels offer Trout for Votto straight up...yay or nay?
    3 years from now id do it in a heartbeat. But right now, Votto makes the reds better than trout does.

I would do the original trade it Ludwick can play 1b. The Reds would have about 5 years of control on Trout so even if he leaves it would be at about the time the production from Votto would be expected to have peaked. The Reds could throw Trout in CF, move Choo to LF and shift Ludwick to 1b. If Choo departs it would appear reasonably likely that a decent LF or 1b bat could be obtained at a reasonable price. If Ludwick an't do 1st base though it could derail this year. 4 OF's but no 1st base and no where to slide in BHAM.

Actually now that I think about it I don't think that I would do the trade. Too much risk for level of potential of upgrade.
    Last edited by klw; 03-06-2013 at 01:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    That's an easy yes.

Pujol's and Trout for Votto and Hamilton

You do that?

I don't
    Easier Yes in my opinion--2 established stars for 1 and a prospect yet to prove he can hit Major League pitching.

That would be a no for me.

Votto helps more now than Trout would. It's a guess that Votto's numbers might decline in 5 years when you lose control of Trout. What's the guarantee that Trouts numbers won't decline as well. He's had one amazing season. Will Trout stay healthy running around the outfield and stealing all those bases? Does he have the work ethic that Votto has?

Plus Votto's intangibles are outstanding. Work ethic, intelligence, marketing draw for the franchise - he's the face of MLB! Not sure I could be convinced to trade Votto for anyone in baseball right now.

Trout makes near minimum in 2013 & 2014 then has 3 years of arbitration eligibility. easy yes.

Nope. Votto is worth more to Cincinnati than just his numbers.

10. Likes:

RadfordVA (03-07-2013)

I'm not understanding the sentiment where Votto helps you more now than Trout. I think Votto is the best pure hitter in baseball. However Trout does more. Granted, I think Votto is vastly underrated league wide on his defense but I'll always take a stud defensive center fielder over a stud defensive first baseman if the offensive numbers are equal. Now, all this is dependent on if Trout can give the team he plays for close to the type of production he had last year.

Salukifan2

Quote Originally Posted by joshua View Post
    Nope. Votto is worth more to Cincinnati than just his numbers.
    agree

Quote Originally Posted by Will M View Post
    Trout makes near minimum in 2013 & 2014 then has 3 years of arbitration eligibility. easy yes.
    This is the argument for Votto, not the argument for Trout.

Votto's long term committment to the Reds would sway me to keep him, nix the trade.

As long as Joey truly is healthy and his knee is projected to remain healthy.

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

If I knew that Trout would sign long term here, of course yes.

If not, then no.

Trout has also likely had the best year he'll ever have in his career. Not that there is anything wrong with that.

always ask questions bigredmechanism's Avatar

I think Trout is fantastic, but am I the only person on the internet who expects him to regress from "Best Player of All Time" into "Very Good Player?"

Because if he keeps up the production from his rookie season for 15 or so years, you could make a compelling argument for the former. I just can't see him keep playing at that level.
    Award Winning Baseball Player

As others have mentioned Votto is worth more to the Reds than just his on field production. The local fans would burn the town down if Votto went west in that trade, regardless of the return.

Mike Trout just might be Mickey Mantle... blessed in every aspect of the game.

But i never even fantasize about trading Votto for another position player, because the net gain might only be marginal.

But...

Votto for Felix Hernandez?
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

Turn Off Ads?