Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Reds Official Depth Chart posted!

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Re: Reds Official Depth Chart posted!

Quote Originally Posted by Screwball View Post
    And Bruce is 3rd on the CF depth chart.
    You'd prefer that he come into ST feeling entitled to the position? I wouldn't. He needs to earn his way up the chart.
    /r/reds

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by LincolnparkRed View Post
    what's the earliest Livingston can come back anyway? I thought it was something like June or July.
    Mid-May

Quote Originally Posted by gm View Post
    So far no comments re: Castro over Kepp at 2b/3b?
    but not at shortstop. Curious.

what's the earliest Livingston can come back anyway? I thought it was something like June or July.
    The happy talk is that Livingston will be pitching in June. The reality is that Livingston isn't likely to throw a pitch in a game situation till 2009.
    "Even a bad day at the ballpark beats the snot out of most other good days. I'll take my scorecard and pencil and beer and hot dog and rage at the dips and cheer at the highs, but I'm not ever going to stop loving this game and this team and nobody will ever take that away from me." Roy Tucker October 2010

Quote Originally Posted by Unassisted View Post
    You'd prefer that he come into ST feeling entitled to the position? I wouldn't. He needs to earn his way up the chart.
    Well, I know it doesn't look like it but I actually meant for that head bang to be for Hatt over Votto. And yes, IMO the CF position should be Jay's to lose.
    Last edited by Screwball; 01-18-2008 at 12:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by WVRedsFan View Post
    I hope you're right, but guess you're not.

I don't know how "official" it is, but it looks like business as usual with Farney penciled in in all three outfield positions, starting in (gasp) center.

For the life of me why managers get all googly-eyed about Freel is beyond me. He's a utility player, nothing more. I surely to all that's holy hope that they don't think he can start 140 games.

And putting Castro on the depth chart is simply beyond belief unless it's as a last resort.
    I had an old Reds game on the other day (had Baseball Jones) and Thom said he was talking to some of the Mets coaches and all they could talk about was how theyre trying to teach their young MLB players to watch Freel and bring the same energy that Freel brings to the game and how he plays the game right.

Quote Originally Posted by Always Red View Post
    I'm just glad to see the Reds place Castro 3rd string for all 3 IF positions. That's a sign, to me at least, that he will not make the team out of ST.

I hope.

Kepp, however, is a sure thing to make the roster; how much he winds up playing will depends on how well he continues to play, as it should be.
    Even though the word is Castro will be ready, I wonder if he doesn't start the season back on the DL recovering from his surgery. Likewise, the Reds could also talk him into retiring and hiring him as a roving instructor. Just a couple of thoughts this a.m.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

Quote Originally Posted by icehole3 View Post
    I had an old Reds game on the other day (had Baseball Jones) and Thom said he was talking to some of the Mets coaches and all they could talk about was how theyre trying to teach their young MLB players to watch Freel and bring the same energy that Freel brings to the game and how he plays the game right.
    Sounds like a good recipe for an entire team on the DL
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by icehole3 View Post
    Hopefully they weren't using him as an example on how to take a good lead off first base. Freel's version of playing the game right led to outs on the basepaths and his own injury. I think everybody admires his hustle, but sometimes slow and steady wins the race.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    Hopefully they weren't using him as an example on how to take a good lead off first base. Freel's version of playing the game right led to outs on the basepaths and his own injury. I think everybody admires his hustle, but sometimes slow and steady wins the race.

Ecxactly. Coaches admire hustle over most anything. Unfortunately, you have to hustle and play smart too. That's something Freel doesn't understand until he wears himself out. I prayed that if teams admired him so much he would be traded, but here he is, penciled in as our every day CF and second on every IF?OF depth chart except first base.

I still say he has pictures of someone with a goat.

For the record: Redszone could come up with a more accurate depth chart than reds.com. This has nothing to do with the actually depth chart the Reds FO has.

Right now, there are only a few remaining issues on the roster.

If no starting pitcher is acquired, the rotation will be set with Belisle, Bailey and Volquez. I don't see a lot of competition there, unless someone is added to the mix.

The starting position lineup is set except for first base and center field. On first, Hatte and Votto will both be on the team, so the starter/backup issue doesn't affect the roster. Both are on it.

In centerfield I'm assuming Freel will start and Hopper back up. Either way, both make the team. (I'll get to Bruce shortly.)

With Valentin, Hopper, Keppinger, and one of Hatte/Votto on the bench, there is only one spot available among the thirteen position players. Right now it seems that the candidates for this spot are Bruce/Fiorentino/Castro/Dickerson. If it's Bruce, he will start. If one of the others, bench.

So the competition for position players comes down to one spot and the competition for starting pitchers is dependent on future acquisitions.

The bullpen, however, should have lots of competition, probably for two spots.

Cordero, Weathers, Burton, Stanton, and Bray would seem to be locks if all are healthy, unless Stanton is moved which seems unlikely at this point.

That leaves two remaining bullpen slots. The candidates include Majewski, Coffey, Coutlangus, McBeth, Pelland, Salmon, maybe Roenicke (invited to ST). There may be others I'm forgetting.

So, unless there are additional player moves, I think spring training will determine one position spot and two bullpen spots.

As an aside, I hope the Reds know what they are doing with this bullpen. They did make one big off-season move, but it was a pretty terrible bullpen last year. Surprised they haven't been more aggressive there this off-season.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Right now, there are only a few remaining issues on the roster.

If no starting pitcher is acquired, the rotation will be set with Belisle, Bailey and Volquez. I don't see a lot of competition there, unless someone is added to the mix.

The starting position lineup is set except for first base and center field. On first, Hatte and Votto will both be on the team, so the starter/backup issue doesn't affect the roster. Both are on it.

In centerfield I'm assuming Freel will start and Hopper back up. Either way, both make the team. (I'll get to Bruce shortly.)

With Valentin, Hopper, Keppinger, and one of Hatte/Votto on the bench, there is only one spot available among the thirteen position players. Right now it seems that the candidates for this spot are Bruce/Fiorentino/Castro/Dickerson. If it's Bruce, he will start. If one of the others, bench.

So the competition for position players comes down to one spot and the competition for starting pitchers is dependent on future acquisitions.

The bullpen, however, should have lots of competition, probably for two spots.

Cordero, Weathers, Burton, Stanton, and Bray would seem to be locks if all are healthy, unless Stanton is moved which seems unlikely at this point.

That leaves two remaining bullpen slots. The candidates include Majewski, Coffey, Coutlangus, McBeth, Pelland, Salmon, maybe Roenicke (invited to ST). There may be others I'm forgetting.

So, unless there are additional player moves, I think spring training will determine one position spot and two bullpen spots.

As an aside, I hope the Reds know what they are doing with this bullpen. They did make one big off-season move, but it was a pretty terrible bullpen last year. Surprised they haven't been more aggressive there this off-season.

Mostly agree. I think one bullpen spot might go to a long reliever that can go multiple innings. I think we could easily see one of the NRI in that spot like Brower, Pettyjohn, Lehr, Adkins, or Michalek. Some younger guys as dark horses might be Ramon Ramirez or Danny Herrera but probably not on opening day.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Quote Originally Posted by Unassisted View Post
    Telling him he's not the number one option will only make Krivsky's nose grow and it wouldn't fool anyone anyway.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Quote Originally Posted by AvesIce51 View Post
    For the record: Redszone could come up with a more accurate depth chart than reds.com. This has nothing to do with the actually depth chart the Reds FO has.
    And that scares me. If the FO thinks this, we have a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by WVRedsFan View Post
    And that scares me. If the FO thinks this, we have a problem.
    Wait, what scares you? That the FO thinks this? They don't. I'm saying redszone could do a more realistic depth chart than reds.com (who has zero idea what the real depth chart is).

Sorry if I misunderstood you.

Turn Off Ads?