Turn Off Ads?
Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3910111213

Thread: 6/4/09 Reds vs Cards

Re: 6/4/09 Reds vs Cards

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    Did you see the fat pitches he threw to him twice?
    I haven't read the game thread but why did they even pitch to Pujols? He's easily their most productive hitter and the NL's for that matter. IMO,he needs the Barry Bonds treatment. IIB's every time up,especially if there are runners on 1st and 2nd or just a runner at first.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Big Klu View Post
    I remember Nux sometimes interviewing opposing players for the "Star Of The Game", so I don't have a problem with that in and of itself. But the problem I had with it tonight was that they have never done it for anyone else. Why are they doing it now?

I didn't recognize the interviewer. I assumed he was an FSN St. Louis guy. It just seemed like a bunch of ass-kissing on our part, but maybe I'm overreacting.
    IIRC, Joe would always interview a player from the winning team. It was fun listening to him interview someone who could not speak English too well. I don't think its a big deal but normally they don't interview someone from the opposing team.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

I dont mind interviewing the opposing team.

I am less tollerant of Reds announcers and internet forum members gushing like star-struck teenagers over the other team.

Carpenter pitched a stellar game (even if against an offensivley anemic team) and I think we all tip our collective caps to him in respect. Acting like a school girl who just got a class ring and a letterman jacket is a wholey different issue.

Regarding the future hall of famer behind the plate for the Cards....I'm working under the asumption that George was flat out stoned on some killer tripweed last night.

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    I haven't read the game thread but why did they even pitch to Pujols? He's easily their most productive hitter and the NL's for that matter. IMO,he needs the Barry Bonds treatment. IIB's every time up,especially if there are runners on 1st and 2nd or just a runner at first.
    I went to baseball-reference to look at Aaron v. Albert and there was Pujols right at the top of Harang's list. Of course, that means he's faced Pujols more than any other hitter (59 PA's).

Here's his line:

.296/.322/.556 16 hits, 5 doubles, 3 homers
    3 K's and 3 walks, 10 RBI's

but then I looked at the breakdown and Pujols had his best time against Harang in his first four years against him (although 2004 was down, just 1 for 7). In the last three seasons, he's just batting .185 against Harang. Last night Albert just beat Aaron - without last night's numbers, he was just batting .130 since 2007.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

I actually like it when our pitchers go after the opposing hitters. I liked it when we challenged Berkman. I liked it when we challenged the guys in the Brewers lineup. And on the surface, I like it when we challenge Albert...but when the guys behind him are struggling as badly as they are...I disagree with it. I like the aggressive mentality, but someone's got to rein that in and look at the bigger picture. Aaron was struggling with his control early in the game and he's not had his best stuff recently. Giving Pujols the free pass and shutting down the rest of the team is the way to go there. Had Aaron been lights out and throwing his best stuff, I'd have no problem with him challenging ANY hitter regardless of that hitter's protection or lack of protection. That just wasn't the case yesterday. Walk him.

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    Did you see the fat pitches he threw to him twice?
    Yep. And they certainly weren't intentional. Believe me. Pitchers do miss their spots on occasion.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Quote Originally Posted by Ltlabner View Post
    I dont mind interviewing the opposing team.

I am less tollerant of Reds announcers and internet forum members gushing like star-struck teenagers over the other team.

Carpenter pitched a stellar game (even if against an offensivley anemic team) and I think we all tip our collective caps to him in respect. Acting like a school girl who just got a class ring and a letterman jacket is a wholey different issue.

Regarding the future hall of famer behind the plate for the Cards....I'm working under the asumption that George was flat out stoned on some killer tripweed last night.
    That's exactly how I feel about it, but you stated it much better than I did.
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

If somehow Albert was a Red and Brandon was a Cardinal.....

Albert would be the best thing since Babe Ruth and Brandon would be a Hotdog who wears his cap wrong.

Turn Off Ads?