Turn Off Ads?
Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789101112 LastLast

Thread: (Official) Strong Opinions Thread

Re: (Official) Strong Opinions Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Maker_84 View Post
    World Series or bust for this team. Sick and tired of the Reds going to the Postseason and falling flat on their face, pressure needs to be on dusty all year to succeed.
    So if the Votto Bruce and most of lineup just happen to be slumping in the playoffs and lose somewhere before World Series its on Dusty? Playoffs are a crap shoot for most part. If they win division title again, its a successful season for me.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by RadfordVA View Post
    So if the Votto Bruce and most of lineup just happen to be slumping in the playoffs and lose somewhere before World Series its on Dusty? Playoffs are a crap shoot for most part. If they win division title again, its a successful season for me.
    If I'm predicting things I have to say the odds favor Maker 84 being very upset come October.

dusty has been exposed in the past and definitely was in the SF series for not being much of a postseason manager especially the way he handles the bullpen like it's a regular season game. When it comes to players slumping i wont be mad at Dusty for that but i would label the players as unclutch and incapable of getting it done on the big stage.

Strong opinion: Both Dusty and Walt are overrated.

Since we've seemed to mix-up bold predictions with strong opinions, here goes:

1. Ryan Ludwick will have a better season in 2013 than he had in 2012.
    2. Votto, Choo, Bruce and Ludwick will give the Reds a line-up with 4 guys over .875 OPS.
    3. Homer Bailey will finish in the top 5 for the Cy Young Award. Mat Latos, Aroldis Chapman and Johnny Cueto in the top 10.
    4. Jonathon Broxton will have a lights out season as a set-up man and make everyone forget about his contract.
    5. Devin Mesoraco moves into a larger portion of the catching job getting 350 PAs by season's end and accumulating 15+ HR in the process.
    6. Frazier and Cozart regress a bit, but the Reds are so good, no one notices.

Strong opinion. This is the most talented Reds team since the BRM and has a better rotation, pen and offense than the 1990 Champs. Position by position, this team is better at 1B, 2B, LF, RF, C. 3B is a push, CF is pretty close but Davis gets the nod for defense. Only Larkin over Cozart is a clear advantage for the 1990 team. Dusty Baker is a better Manager than Lou Piniella was.
    Last edited by mth123; 04-01-2013 at 05:26 AM.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Here's my strong opinion -- I don't understand how anyone can be happy (ever, in any sport) with a season that ends with anything short of a championship.

It's like Herm Edwards said: You play to win the game. If playoffs didn't matter, they wouldn't exist and they wouldn't give a trophy and a banner to the team that wins.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Homer Bailey should win the CY Young this season. He won't because he doesn't have a big enough name, but his numbers will be good enough.

My opinion: Most opinions on sports are cloaked in unrealistic expectations and faulty and incomplete data processed through a mindset that is more Veruca Salt than Frank Merriwell.

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    Here's my strong opinion -- I don't understand how anyone can be happy (ever, in any sport) with a season that ends with anything short of a championship.

It's like Herm Edwards said: You play to win the game. If playoffs didn't matter, they wouldn't exist and they wouldn't give a trophy and a banner to the team that wins.
    I think you can be disappointed about not winning a championship, but to be unhappy with a season just because your team didn't win it all is setting expectations too high. All things equal you would be unhappy 97 percent of the time. Titles and banners are not everything to me, there, I said it. But hey, if Herm Edwards is your guru, more power to you.

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    I think you can be disappointed about not winning a championship, but to be unhappy with a season just because your team didn't win it all is setting expectations too high. All things equal you would be unhappy 97 percent of the time. Titles and banners are not everything to me, there, I said it. But hey, if Herm Edwards is your guru, more power to you.
    Well, he did coach a bunch of teams to championships, so y'know.
    How do we know he's not Mel Torme?

The key to avoiding disappointment is to redefine "championship" to the point that every game you win is some sort of small championship. A local college football program did this with great success.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    It's one of those things that I was shocked to find out that I was in the minority regarding.

Titles and banners are everything. There's no point to the game if you aren't playing to win it all.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Yeah different ways of enjoying the game I guess. A lot of people do feel the same way as you thats for sure. For me it is more about the journey than the destination I guess. Them winning World Series is really just a one night event. A great season gives you 6 months of enjoyment. I enjoy the day to day stuff in baseball. Lineups being posted, players slumping or going on hot streaks. Love the whole rythym to a baseball season. I believe the best team finishes with the best record not the world series champion. I think if I was a player I would feel more like the way you do. Since they aren't giving me a trophy or anything I don't carry it around as ultimate goal. I want to be entertained with good baseball for a good stretch of my year. Great thing about baseball is so many people see it so many different ways.
    Last edited by RadfordVA; 04-01-2013 at 12:44 PM.

15. Likes:

_Sir_Charles_ (04-01-2013)

It's one of those things that I was shocked to find out that I was in the minority regarding.

Titles and banners are everything. There's no point to the game if you aren't playing to win it all.
    For the record, the Reds won a banner and a title last year.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

No offense but you don't sound like a Reds fan. You sound more like a yankees fan. By the way, I'm sorry your team is old and brittle and just not that good anymore.

Turn Off Ads?